Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM

924 posts, read 1,645,376 times

Advertisements

What kind of job prospects can you expect with the Western Texas region, including El Paso and the region just east of it? How sparsely populated is the area? What are some other cities in western Texas, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
What kind of job prospects can you expect with the Western Texas region, including El Paso and the region just east of it? How sparsely populated is the area? What are some other cities in western Texas, if any?
You're best bet is to take a look at El Paso using the very handy GOOGLE MAP feature. Not only can you get a good look at the map of the area, but also satellite imagery showing population density, etc. And the GOOGLE STREET VIEW feature of MAPS will allow you to "drive" up and down the streets and freeways of El Paso while swiveling 360 degrees to view the terrain along the way.

Directly east of El Paso, there is open desert and very little population for a distance of some 200 miles, as can be seen by viewing any map of the area. Ranching country for the most part, and rather poor ranching country at that. Oil and gas production has long been main industrial presence concentrated about 200 miles to the east - Snyder, Midland, Odessa area. But that is a declining industry with major ups and downs in the last few decades.

Job prospects in El Paso run the gamut, so better to ask the question regarding your own qualifications - what you do. El Paso is still booming, with a huge influx of new military personnel ongoing now and into the future. Industry has been eroded in the past several decades as many manufacturing jobs moved south of the border. There is still an oil refining presence, but that's about it for major manufacturing. A LOT is going on in the Santa Teresa, NM area - an easy commute from El Paso - mostly warehouse type industries in that area.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
You're best bet is to take a look at El Paso using the very handy GOOGLE MAP feature. Not only can you get a good look at the map of the area, but also satellite imagery showing population density, etc. And the GOOGLE STREET VIEW feature of MAPS will allow you to "drive" up and down the streets and freeways of El Paso while swiveling 360 degrees to view the terrain along the way.

Directly east of El Paso, there is open desert and very little population for a distance of some 200 miles, as can be seen by viewing any map of the area. Ranching country for the most part, and rather poor ranching country at that. Oil and gas production has long been main industrial presence concentrated about 200 miles to the east - Snyder, Midland, Odessa area. But that is a declining industry with major ups and downs in the last few decades.

Job prospects in El Paso run the gamut, so better to ask the question regarding your own qualifications - what you do. El Paso is still booming, with a huge influx of new military personnel ongoing now and into the future. Industry has been eroded in the past several decades as many manufacturing jobs moved south of the border. There is still an oil refining presence, but that's about it for major manufacturing. A LOT is going on in the Santa Teresa, NM area - an easy commute from El Paso - mostly warehouse type industries in that area.

Looking at Google Maps right now, great tip!

The region east of El Paso intrigues me and, while I wouldn't plan on living there, I'd like to visit it sometime (that's where Big Bend is, right?). I actually have relatives who used to live in Sanderson, a pretty isolated place. It's also the setting for a movie, No Country for Old Men, from which I derived my username.

It sounds like alot of the career opportunities in El Paso are either blue collar, teaching, or local politics? Not that I'd have a problem with that, I just figure my parents wouldn't be too happy with paying for 4 years of college only for me to take a blue collar job.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Looking at Google Maps right now, great tip!

The region east of El Paso intrigues me and, while I wouldn't plan on living there, I'd like to visit it sometime (that's where Big Bend is, right?).
Big Bend is a long way SSE of El Paso. But yes, it's a National Park for a very good reason - remote and rugged desert land. And I suppose some people think of it as the romantic version of "West Texas." Certainly Sanderson is a good example of small-town west Texas that has never seen "better days" since the decline of the "wild west."

You left retailing off your list of jobs in El Paso. El Paso is the regional medical center with a large medical presence by way of hospitals and clinics.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You left retailing off your list of jobs in El Paso. El Paso is the regional medical center with a large medical presence by way of hospitals and clinics.
This may help others wishing to know about El Paso's job market. It's a daily listing of advertised jobs as found on the local newspaper's web pages here:

EL PASO TIMES - JOBS

Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
This may help others wishing to know about El Paso's job market. It's a daily listing of advertised jobs as found on the local newspaper's web pages here:

EL PASO TIMES - JOBS

Wow, great link!

I just looked at my planned major and there are apparently 760 jobs within 30 miles of El Paso.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Big Bend is a long way SSE of El Paso. But yes, it's a National Park for a very good reason - remote and rugged desert land. And I suppose some people think of it as the romantic version of "West Texas." Certainly Sanderson is a good example of small-town west Texas that has never seen "better days" since the decline of the "wild west."

I looked into Sanderson, Texas. Apparently it's one of the locations in No Country for Old Men. What exactly happened to the town that ended its "better days"?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I looked into Sanderson, Texas. Apparently it's one of the locations in No Country for Old Men. What exactly happened to the town that ended its "better days"?
Actually, the majority of the scenes in that movie were filmed in New Mexico, with the town of Las Vegas, NM (not NV) figuring prominently. I like most of Cormac McCarthy's works (author of the book of same title as movie), but the movie was a disappointment for me and I didn't particularly care for the book either.

What happened to Sanderson is exactly my point - NOTHING! It must have been a monumental happening for the town people when that movie crew filmed there. I suspect Sanderson has lost population in the past few decades, but that's just a guess. It's a very desolate place and a long way from anywhere, IMO. Not bad deer hunting country though, if you can find a rancher who allows hunting.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, the majority of the scenes in that movie were filmed in New Mexico, with the town of Las Vegas, NM (not NV) figuring prominently. I like most of Cormac McCarthy's works (author of the book of same title as movie), but the movie was a disappointment for me and I didn't particularly care for the book either.

What happened to Sanderson is exactly my point - NOTHING! It must have been a monumental happening for the town people when that movie crew filmed there. I suspect Sanderson has lost population in the past few decades, but that's just a guess. It's a very desolate place and a long way from anywhere, IMO. Not bad deer hunting country though, if you can find a rancher who allows hunting.

From what I hear, the only reason it was filmed in NM is because NM makes a concerted effort to get movies filmed there for (I would guess) discounts. In return, they get their state more widely recognized. I believe that most of the desert scenes were shot near Marfa, though.

I have relatives who used to live in Sanderson and they say that most people moved out when the railroads went out of business. Aside from that, I think the scenery is nice and the hunting ought to be good.

I loved No Country for Old Men the movie though. What didn't you like about it? I just got the book and am going to read it now.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
From what I hear, the only reason it was filmed in NM is because NM makes a concerted effort to get movies filmed there for (I would guess) discounts. In return, they get their state more widely recognized. I believe that most of the desert scenes were shot near Marfa, though.
You're correct about NM going after the filming industry with incentives, but wrong about the desert scenes in the movie. MOST of the desert scenes were filmed in the area to the west of Taos - or so I've been told. Anyone familiar with the desert environments of Marfa vs Taos knows there is a definite distinction, and it sure looked like NM to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso