Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 01:26 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,216,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It’s either that or I just delete them whole cloth. It’s been made clear that we’re done with blatant lies. That poster can defend themselves but I doubt they will, the lie was exposed too quickly and easily. It must be embarrassing.
I understand your point of view, but regardless if a poster tells a blatant lies or not, the lies can be debunked by responding with facts or truths that don't carry insults. Other EV drivers will respond telling their respective experiences, just like Deemo and others have done, and this in turn will reduce the amount of discord in this thread.

That said, I also understand that I am a moderator and that this is not my website, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 01:47 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I understand your point of view, but regardless if a poster tells a blatant lies or not, the lies can be debunked by responding with facts or truths that don't carry insults. Other EV drivers will respond telling their respective experiences, just like Deemo and others have done, and this in turn will reduce the amount of discord in this thread.

That said, I also understand that I am a moderator and that this is not my website, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.
It's insulting to blatantly lie to people. Politesse doesn't seem to work very well in that instance because there is no good faith measure there. I think it's okay in that instance to make it explicitly known to others that they are not dealing with someone arguing in good faith especially as there will be posters who do not know very much about EVs and so are unable to spot the lies initially and will potentially be weighing those lies in equal measure to facts.

Needing to take 4 days to cover 500 miles in a Tesla heading from New York to southwest Virginia is absolutely ridiculous. So is the idea of having two friends who both bought Teslas and both of them are paying considerably more per mile for charging than they would have per mile for fuel.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-29-2023 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 02:34 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,216,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's insulting to blatantly lie to people. Politesse doesn't seem to work very well in that instance because there is no good faith measure there. I think it's okay in that instance to make it explicitly known to others that they are not dealing with someone arguing in good faith especially as there will be posters who do not know very much about EVs and so are unable to spot the lies initially and will potentially be weighing those lies in equal measure to facts.

Needing to take 4 days to cover 500 miles in a Tesla heading from New York to southwest Virginia is absolutely ridiculous. So is the idea of having two friends who both bought Teslas and both of them are paying considerably more per mile for charging than they would have per mile for fuel.
What one finds insulting in others is based on one's perceptions. But in general, trading insults turns the dialog taking place more volatile. Public forums like this one would benefit the most those who are interested in the subject of this thread, and benefit the least by the arguments taking place. As I mentioned before, several posters, including ddeemo told their EV-drive experiences in a pleasant manner. These kinds of "telling" are to the of benefit those who want to become informed.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:38 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,687,994 times
This year car sales in general were down because of the interest rates. If it wasn't for sweet EV rebates, the entire EV market would be negative.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:41 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What one finds insulting in others is based on one's perceptions. But in general, trading insults turns the dialog taking place more volatile. Public forums like this one would benefit the most those who are interested in the subject of this thread, and benefit the least by the arguments taking place. As I mentioned before, several posters, including ddeemo told their EV-drive experiences in a pleasant manner. These kinds of "telling" are to the of benefit those who want to become informed.
I think it's pretty universal that lying isn't taken particularly well. Public forums would dissolve into unusable chaos if there was no pushback against blatant lying and fabrication no matter how pleasantly the lies are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
This year car sales in general were down because of the interest rates. If it wasn't for sweet EV rebates, the entire EV market would be negative.
Did you really buy an EV without having a dedicated place to charge it at home?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-29-2023 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 04:55 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Coulda fooled me. My “around town” today was over 100 miles. I didn’t need an ice vehicle. Why would I use an ICE vehicle for my WAY above average mileage needs when my EV accomplishes it easily, CONVENIENTLY, and far cheaper?
It really depends on where you live. I'm from North Idaho (moved to TN 2 years ago). From Coeur d'Alene to Boise, with a stop in Grangeville (along the main, and only, north-south highway in the state)-you can't do that trip in a Tesla (without an overnight stop at a level 1 or 2 charger). The Tesla app throws up it's hands. (really need a Supercharger around Lewiston and Riggens). Where I live in East TN, in most areas I want to travel and explore, there are no Superchargers. A typical "lets go for a ride" day is typically 300 miles or so-with a real shortage of SCs. California, along major interstates or in other metro/densely populated areas, there is no problem. But if you live and recreate in rural areas-yeah, the charging infrastructure isn't there, at least in terms of DCFCs. Granted, that's changing and quickly. I suspect in 5 years or so it won't be an issue. But now...not so much. And I say that as a BEV fan with a good share of my retirement in TSLA.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:58 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It really depends on where you live. I'm from North Idaho (moved to TN 2 years ago). From Coeur d'Alene to Boise, with a stop in Grangeville (along the main, and only, north-south highway in the state)-you can't do that trip in a Tesla (without an overnight stop at a level 1 or 2 charger). The Tesla app throws up it's hands. (really need a Supercharger around Lewiston and Riggens). Where I live in East TN, in most areas I want to travel and explore, there are no Superchargers. A typical "lets go for a ride" day is typically 300 miles or so-with a real shortage of SCs. California, along major interstates or in other metro/densely populated areas, there is no problem. But if you live and recreate in rural areas-yeah, the charging infrastructure isn't there, at least in terms of DCFCs. Granted, that's changing and quickly. I suspect in 5 years or so it won't be an issue. But now...not so much. And I say that as a BEV fan with a good share of my retirement in TSLA.
Sure, there are plenty of specific examples of locations where high-mileage trips may be an issue. I recognize that. I’m not one of the people who want everyone to be forced into an EV.

For example, my daughter wants me to take her to visit The Outsiders house museum in Tusla, OK this summer. It’s an easy trip to Tusla, but from there I was hoping to visit Robert E Howard’s boyhood home in Cross Plains, Texas. The trip from Tusla to Cross Plains is very likely impossible in my Model 3. This was the first time that has happened to me in 2 years of ownership.

I regularly take my car to a family cabin that’s doable on a single charge but leaves me at 10% upon arrival. I plug it into an outlet for the entire weekend and drive home, again without charging. Maybe not ideal, but it works. Should we have to run errands, I bite the bullet and use a supercharge in the nearest town 20 miles away.

But that comment you quoted was in response to yet another person who said “they’re great for around town only.”

This is patently false and tiresome.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-01-2023, 12:54 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I’ll never cease to be amazed by people making claims on here that are so easy to check and refute.

8 hours Couer D’Alene to Boise with charging. Adds a little over an hour and 90 miles to the drive versus doing this in an ICE.

If you’re doing this frequently, definitely take an ICE. If you’re doing this once a year, this is an edge case, but definitely doable. You do not need to do an overnight as you suggested.

Most people do the vast majority of their driving in under 200 mile increments 95% of the time. If you’re not most people, that’s fine. Get the vehicle that suits you. I could not care less what you drive.
Attached Thumbnails
New gov data: Nearly 1 in 5 vehicles sold are BEV or hybrid-img_1003.jpeg  

Last edited by SkyDog77; 12-01-2023 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-02-2023, 07:01 AM

45 posts, read 52,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I’ll never cease to be amazed by people making claims on here that are so easy to check and refute.

8 hours Couer D’Alene to Boise with charging. Adds a little over an hour and 90 miles to the drive versus doing this in an ICE.

If you’re doing this frequently, definitely take an ICE. If you’re doing this once a year, this is an edge case, but definitely doable. You do not need to do an overnight as you suggested.

Most people do the vast majority of their driving in under 200 mile increments 95% of the time. If you’re not most people, that’s fine. Get the vehicle that suits you. I could not care less what you drive.
Nobody ever talks about the inconvenience and impracticality of a gasoline car.

When I owned an ICE vehicle, I had to always mentally plan for stopping for gas. Tank is low? Am I going to stop on the way home, or grab gas on the way in tomorrow morning? You can never just charge at home, unless you happen to have your own gasoline tank and pump. There's no topping off the tank while you sleep every night and starting every morning ready to go. You have to make these inconvenient fueling stops all year long, just to save a bit of fueling time on those twice a year road trips.

Also, if you have it fire up the heater your garage in the morning, so it's ready to drive when you leave, it will try to murder you with poison gas.

That's before even considering all the noise and vibration, the awful torque curve requiring juggling multiple gearsets just to accelerate smoothly, the slow reaction to throttle inputs.

If EVs were the norm and we were considering switching to ICE, we'd all be scratching our heads why we'd do such a thing.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:06 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,595,585 times
A nice graphic from The Visual Capitalist, showing global EV sales by model, for the top 9 sellers.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ele...by-model-2023/

Of course much of the global market is in China, but it's impossible to miss that you've got the Tesla Model Y & Model 3 at the top, then the VW ID.4 in position 8, and all the other positions are occupied by models from Chinese companies like BYD and GAC.

Toyota, Subaru, and Mazda failed with their recent EV introductions. Ford has run into some headwinds with the Mustang Mach-e program. Kia, Hyundai and VW are in the middle ground - selling a fair number of their EV models, but their sales are clearly a tier down from Tesla's. It will be interesting to see how Chevy does with the Equinox and Bronco EVs being rolled out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles