Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM

10,946 posts, read 4,610,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Lots of interesting data to unpack in the latest government reporting.
  • Sales of hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and battery-electric vehicles (BEV) in the United States rose to 17.7% of new light-duty vehicle sales in third-quarter 2023
  • the segment accounted for 15.8% of all new light-duty vehicle sales in the United States so far this year, compared with 12.3% in 2022 and 8.5% in 2021.
  • BEV sales continue to be concentrated in the luxury category, growing to 34% of the total luxury vehicle market in the third quarter but remaining below 2% of the non-luxury vehicle market.

The trend line continues to be impressive overall. The fact that BEVs are a full third of the luxury segment is wild, and would seem to indicate that cost is a big factor keeping the rest of the market out. It will be interesting to see if adoption changes as costs come down like they are right now.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/de...1004&src=email

when we add these 2 numbers together...it makes it look entirely like something that it is not right?

the new king-o-the hill tundra tow machine is....a hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 10:33 AM

334 posts, read 174,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The efficiency is an added benefit that I don’t even normally think about, but you’re absolutely right. Running a dedicated heater (my Model Y has a heat pump) is so much more efficient than idling an ICE. There is very little energy loss when running the BEV heater, whereas there is a tremendous amount of energy loss when idling and ICe. You’re also right that it’s plugged in, so not depleting any of the battery.
This. The best way to heat and ICE is to drive it right away, as idling is really inefficient and it takes long time to generate heat in the cabin. ICE vehicles are optimized to run as 'cold' as possible at idle, which goes directly against the objective to heat it as fast as possible. Heck, even that start/stop feature is made to minimize idling. Thus, remote start on ICE is a ridiculous unneeded 'invention' along with other gimmicks that just increase complexity.
Although heating BEV in the garage is better, overall drop in the charge during cold months doesn't make it efficient, unless the car is plugged in when heated. Best to drive off immediately. Whatever happened to hats, gloves and fleece? If it's freezing outside, it is assumed you are bundled up. Modern cars seem to be great at inventing a problem for every solution.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:00 AM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
This. The best way to heat and ICE is to drive it right away, as idling is really inefficient and it takes long time to generate heat in the cabin. ICE vehicles are optimized to run as 'cold' as possible at idle, which goes directly against the objective to heat it as fast as possible. Heck, even that start/stop feature is made to minimize idling. Thus, remote start on ICE is a ridiculous unneeded 'invention' along with other gimmicks that just increase complexity.
Although heating BEV in the garage is better, overall drop in the charge during cold months doesn't make it efficient, unless the car is plugged in when heated. Best to drive off immediately. Whatever happened to hats, gloves and fleece? If it's freezing outside, it is assumed you are bundled up. Modern cars seem to be great at inventing a problem for every solution.
Heating up while is charging is what most people have been referring to and specifically what he was referring to. He was responding to my post that said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and it can do it while plugged in and drawing from housepower. Since heating is a different subsystem that doesn't require any power from the powertrain, it's incredibly efficient so that makes it quite cheap as well.

In that situation, it's not best to drive off immediately but rather to preheat your vehicle while drawing from the grid because that is then energy you don't have to expend from the charge inside the battery pack. Maintaining a warm temperature in cold weather is a lot less power draw than it is to try to warm a cold soaked vehicle to that warm temperature. This is a great solution on multiple ends and not just in regards to comfort while also likely extending the range of the BEV since it will not need to draw as much power from the traction battery to warm up the vehicle, and in indoor settings like a close garage, a hazardous situation.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_TlXpy-37o
Looks like there are quite a few of used BEVs now too. I wonder how a prospective used BEV buyer decides. Obviously it is not mileage, as the electric motor can last a very long time. Is there an elaborate test for the main battery to estimate remaining amount of 'life' left? In ICE, one can do a piston compression test and other checks, but what exactly would a pre-check of a BEV look like? In some ways, it may be easier as there are fewer parts.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:12 PM

421 posts, read 122,753 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_TlXpy-37o
Looks like there are quite a few of used BEVs now too. I wonder how a prospective used BEV buyer decides. Obviously it is not mileage, as the electric motor can last a very long time. Is there an elaborate test for the main battery to estimate remaining amount of 'life' left? In ICE, one can do a piston compression test and other checks, but what exactly would a pre-check of a BEV look like? In some ways, it may be easier as there are fewer parts.

There are OBDII readers that give battery health readouts down to the individual cells.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:02 PM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
Teslas can run a battery health check but it takes a few hours and must be plugged into a level 2 charger. I don’t know if that’s available at dealers or if they’d agree to allow it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-04-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
There are OBDII readers that give battery health readouts down to the individual cells
That's nice. Does it work for hybrids and PHEVs? I mean, is it possible to test it just with a good OBDII reader or is it more elaborate and the dealership or other good mech. shop needs to use fancier equipment? Basically, if I have in a used hybrid, can the battery state be tested as a DIY?

The reason I am asking is because even a simple 12V battery is apparently hard to diagnose. All those Autozone reports and such are not a guarantee of anything and the battery can go from good to dead quickly. That's according to someone in the 'biz' I know who mentioned it is quite difficult to really test all aspects of the battery health. Maybe relevant to just lead acid battery, don' t know.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Teslas can run a battery health check but it takes a few hours and must be plugged into a level 2 charger. I don’t know if that’s available at dealers or if they’d agree to allow it.
So if that's true, buying used BEVs is really more transparent, in a sense. Any idea if it's the same for hybrids?

Old 12-04-2023, 01:28 PM

421 posts, read 122,753 times
Quote:
That's nice. Does it work for hybrids and PHEVs? I mean, is it possible to test it just with a good OBDII reader or is it more elaborate and the dealership or other good mech. shop needs to use fancier equipment? Basically, if I have in a used hybrid, can the battery state be tested as a DIY?

The reason I am asking is because even a simple 12V battery is apparently hard to diagnose. All those Autozone reports and such are not a guarantee of anything and the battery can go from good to dead quickly. That's according to someone in the 'biz' I know who mentioned it is quite difficult to really test all aspects of the battery health. Maybe relevant to just lead acid battery, don' t know.
The first one I posted is for hybrids/PHEVs and BEVs, as the headings on the left indicate. They are apps on the phone that connect to a BT OBDII reader (available for about $40 online). And yes, the cars are producing all that date as they constantly monitor all that data for battery health reasons. VASTLY different than the 12V battery (which can still be the Achilles heel of EVs and hybrids as a lot of problems can be traced back to a faulty 12V battery).

Old 12-04-2023, 01:45 PM

10,946 posts, read 4,610,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
The first one I posted is for hybrids/PHEVs and BEVs, as the headings on the left indicate. They are apps on the phone that connect to a BT OBDII reader (available for about $40 online). And yes, the cars are producing all that date as they constantly monitor all that data for battery health reasons. VASTLY different than the 12V battery (which can still be the Achilles heel of EVs and hybrids as a lot of problems can be traced back to a faulty 12V battery).

Im assuming you are showing a phone app for the display? there has to be a gizmo that plugs in somewhere....what is it bluetooth or a cable or what? and if it covers your bolt does it cover ANY GM same year range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles