Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 06:40 AM

338 posts, read 157,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I agree with what I think you are saying - that the dealership was being conservative in their assessment that the battery pack needed replacement... essentially they weren't sure, but they didn't want to take any chances. From what I understand, the vehicle was still seemingly operating okay. I can understand that the whole experience must have been confusing, frustrating, and kind of shocking for the owner.
The problem is if the battery takes any damage it can easily become an uncontrollable fire hazard. To ensure it doesn't, the battery pack has to be removed and taken apart to have every cell inspected for damage. Because of the extensive work required to do so, the cars are often wrote off instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 06:59 AM

30,541 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Insurance rates for EVs are usually 2-3x of a normal car.
The only way that is accurate is if you're comparing older ICE vehicles to new EV's. My EV is slightly less to insure than my ICE vehicle.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:34 AM

2,488 posts, read 1,566,773 times
Our insurance is nearly the same as our older ice car, as well. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:46 AM

17,409 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Quote:
I read a lot about EVs because I am quite curious about them. Most of what I read is good - new technology, new developments in the marketplace, etc. But, I continue to read stories from credible sources that give me pause and just reinforce my plans to wait a while for things to mature. Here are two of them from the past week. I don't think that either of these are typical experiences, but to me they are still cautionary tales about what *can* happen.

Best analogy: Treat an EV like an early Iphone and keep in mind the "new" one will be leaps and bounds better than the prior one AND likely cheaper.

Worrying about battery pack replacement is usually not a concern, just like old cell phones where you would buy new batteries, the technology improved and now the battery lasts the life of the phone. EV battery replacement won't be an issue for the first or likely the 2nd owner of the vehicle but as it ages it might come into play for subsequent owners. When I buy a new car, I don't fret about the engine replacement because I won't own it by the time it needs an engine!

Short term math looks good if you drive a lot. I daily drive a Yukon, it burns $300 a month in fuel. So if I bought an EV I'd save the $300 a month instantly which could be applied to the payment reducing my actual cost.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:17 AM

12,577 posts, read 9,675,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Best analogy: Treat an EV like an early Iphone and keep in mind the "new" one will be leaps and bounds better than the prior one AND likely cheaper.

Worrying about battery pack replacement is usually not a concern, just like old cell phones where you would buy new batteries, the technology improved and now the battery lasts the life of the phone. EV battery replacement won't be an issue for the first or likely the 2nd owner of the vehicle but as it ages it might come into play for subsequent owners. When I buy a new car, I don't fret about the engine replacement because I won't own it by the time it needs an engine!

Short term math looks good if you drive a lot. I daily drive a Yukon, it burns $300 a month in fuel. So if I bought an EV I'd save the $300 a month instantly which could be applied to the payment reducing my actual cost.
Yes - "fuel" cost is definitely far lower. Prior to the pandemic, I was driving 25k miles a year easily, so even though I get 30mpg, I was still spending maybe $275/mo on gas at about $4/gal. But since the pandemic my work has been maybe 95% remote, and with the daily commute not needed, my annual mileage has fallen dramatically to maybe 11k miles per year. If I were still on the old routine, the fuel savings rationale would be a lot stronger.

Also agree with you that the odds are I wouldn't need to replace a battery pack if I owned an EV. It varies, but I probably average about 6 years with a new car - well within the normal lifetime of a battery pack.

I know I will get an EV in time, but for the time being, I am waiting for the tech and the charging networks to improve. I don't want to keep two cars, so the one vehicle needs to do it all. Also, I live right at the border between MA and NH and what I have noticed is that there are some DC fast chargers right on the biggest interstate in VT, NH and ME, but once you leave that, these are pretty rural states, and there isn't much. Again, that will improve in time.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:35 AM

1,500 posts, read 805,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Insurance rates for EVs are usually 2-3x of a normal car.
I called my insurance salesman about a month ago and he quoted me about $190 a year more. And that is going from a 2019 Ford Ranger two a 2023 Tesla which is more expensive. It seemed fair to me.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:41 AM

6,713 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
I read a lot about EVs because I am quite curious about them. Most of what I read is good - new technology, new developments in the marketplace, etc. But, I continue to read stories from credible sources that give me pause and just reinforce my plans to wait a while for things to mature. Here are two of them from the past week. I don't think that either of these are typical experiences, but to me they are still cautionary tales about what *can* happen.

The first is the story of a road trip in the Ford F-150 Lightning going badly due to a combination of charging network site problems as well as problems with software supporting charging. It turned into an ordeal. This comes from Motor Trend, and they are not anti-EV.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...rip-nightmare/

This next story is about a Hyundai Ioniq 5 owner hitting something in the roadway that seemingly caused only superficial damage to his battery pack, but the end result was that his 1-year-old vehicle was totaled. This story was from a YouTube auto channel "Motormouth" - and this couple is not anti-EV either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk
In general, EV owner satisfaction seems to be pretty high.

I'm personally waiting until one of our cars dies or gets too expensive to repair, then will probably spring for an EV. Hoping this will be at least a couple of years away, because like computers, the electrics just keep getting better and cheaper.

Hyundai has a half dozen new EV models in the pipeline, Tesla's working on a sub-$30K model, BYD of China is selling them dirt cheap (not in the U.S. though), VW bought a large chunk of a China EV maker, and good old GM, Ford, and StelChrysler have a few EV's in the works or on the lots. And the batteries seem to improve every couple of months.

The big T is finally building EV's as well. In about 2 years, Toyota will finally have some decent EV's. Some say they've waited too long. But the Japanese have a way of catching up fast.

So, yeah, if you have reliable wheels now, waiting makes sense. Just my opinions

Old 12-28-2023, 09:42 AM

2,100 posts, read 1,027,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I called my insurance salesman about a month ago and he quoted me about $190 a year more. And that is going from a 2019 Ford Ranger two a 2023 Tesla which is more expensive. It seemed fair to me.
I wonder what the difference would be going from a 2019 Ford Ranger to ANY 2023 car of roughly the same price/market segment as the Tesla? Hmmmmm.

These insurance misinformation mongers probably thing it's a conspiracy that a tomahawk steak costs more than a hamburger. "They're both beef!!"

Old 12-28-2023, 10:51 AM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wonder what the difference would be going from a 2019 Ford Ranger to ANY 2023 car of roughly the same price/market segment as the Tesla? Hmmmmm.

These insurance misinformation mongers probably thing it's a conspiracy that a tomahawk steak costs more than a hamburger. "They're both beef!!"
It’s absurd. They continue to ruin good threads with posts that they know are dead wrong and of course have no personal experience.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-28-2023, 10:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Here are some articles, they seem to agree that EV insurance was much more expensive than ICE but that gap is slowly closing recently. I also see that the EV with the highest insurance cost is Tesla. Some reasons for higher insurance cost are:

"Electric vehicles tend to have newer and more updated technology, which can be costly to replace and difficult to source.

While the purchase cost of EVs has been gradually declining, these vehicles are still more expensive on average than comparable gas-powered vehicles. Because of the higher cost of replacement, carriers may charge more for full coverage, including comprehensive and collision coverage.

If your EV is involved in an accident, the high-voltage battery, which powers the electric motor, could be damaged and need replacing. Depending on your vehicle, battery-pack replacement can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Parts for certain EVs may be limited due to small manufacturing processes. This can make the repair process notably more expensive and result in long delays.

Not all repair shops are equipped to work on EVs, so your vehicle may need to go to a special shop following an accident. This can be more costly for your insurance company."

https://www.cnbc.com/select/electric...-need-to-know/

https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/...surance-costs/

https://www.consumerreports.org/mone...d-a6372607024/

https://finance.yahoo.com/personal-f...153443980.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles