Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 04:20 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the person in this video is correct or not about EV's in NYC? If you are a NewYorker, please don't pay attention to the negative title and watch the entire video, then let us know the pros and cons pertaining only to EVs in NYC, and not the rest of the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQT7vPq9iY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 04:35 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Gonna be super popular places like NYC where there's no parking to take street parking for EV charging.

They'll eventually need to address neighborhood charging with real solution which is going to be expensive and not as convenient as people are hoping. A couple L2 trickle chargers blocking street parking obviously isn't going to work.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:53 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
NYC is currently about the same as most other places in the US in regards to whether or not someone should get an EV--if you have charging where you park overnight, then it's great. It works quite well because of the rather short distances, low speeds, and stop-and-go driving. If you don't, then it's likely a hassle. This is a pretty simple rule to go by for at least th next few years with few caveats such as if you frequently tow large loads over long distances or live in a place with Fairbanks, AK-esque weather.

The only places in the US currently where EVs might be a good idea even without charging where you park overnight is in some parts of urban coastal California where there is a very high density of both DC fast chargers and level 2 public chargers including in employee parking coupled with lots of low speed stop and go driving and very moderate climate.

I don't see this really changing until towards the end of the decade when the vast majority of chargers and vehicles will supposedly be on NACS, vehicular heat pumps are commonplace, and EV fleet efficiency, range, and charging speeds are substantially up. It'll likely take about that long for the market of US households that can have dedicated charging to be saturated, so that works out pretty well.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-25-2024 at 06:06 AM..

Old 01-25-2024, 06:48 AM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Gonna be super popular places like NYC where there's no parking to take street parking for EV charging.

They'll eventually need to address neighborhood charging with real solution which is going to be expensive and not as convenient as people are hoping. A couple L2 trickle chargers blocking street parking obviously isn't going to work.
What's blocking street parking in those pictures I posted? And in places like NYC, there's a significant number of residents who don't have cars at all.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
What's blocking street parking in those pictures I posted? And in places like NYC, there's a significant number of residents who don't have cars at all.
Yea, NYC needs to work on vastly improving it's non-car infrastructure more than anything.

I'm also curious as to how much wireless charging will take off and how that affects things.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:13 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I heard about this...there are about 150Kish licensed 'taxi-ish' vehicles in the 5 boroughs including about 15Kish medallions and the mandate adopted last fall is to be ZEV in 6 years. if the average taxi driver books 70K miles per year (yuck, ALL city) then this places the fleet age at what? 5 years tops? mebbe 6 in a pinch? I can see it being done but the other part is fueling...very very few gas pumps in the city - Im betting less than 50 in manhatten, you have how many millions that use bus, train and cab as the surrogate for car...plus you have just how short of a million cars entering every damn day! yikes.

Since the TLC places rulz on the min temps of the car in the winter and max temps in the summer...at idle it can consume as much 'fuel' as its gas counterpart and given the congestion and no standing rules in place now, they can no longer sit and wait for a fare, they have to troll endlessly. (which of course means all the movies where the hitman just so happens to be the car the vic gets into - is hollywood!)

as long as people insist on surface transpo, this aint gonna end well.
It's a stupid policy that will bankrupt a lot of people who don't think before they jump in.

It's a huge disaster waiting to happen but not all NYers are dumb and desperate as many who are uninformed and IL prepared. Since they started luring uninformed people to buy Tesla and get them to be preapproved to drive for Uber in NYC, they've been selling a lot of Teslas here. NYC only grant a limited amount of Uber permits a year and buying a Tesla gets you a leg up without waiting. But it has been mixed so far for many Uber drivers. Some reports of Tesla Uber drivers down 4 hours a day to wait to charge and charge to drive for only 2-3 hours before having to charge again.

I took this photo, it is mine because this poor uber driver got locked out as the car went completely dead. Quite uninformed or risky to buy a Tesla Standard Range Model to go drive for yellow cab.

There's hardly any superchargers in NYC.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...ers-to-suffer#

Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's a stupid policy that will bankrupt a lot of people who don't think before they jump in.

It's a huge disaster waiting to happen but not all NYers are dumb and desperate as many who are uninformed and IL prepared. Since they started luring uninformed people to buy Tesla and get them to be preapproved to drive for Uber in NYC, they've been selling a lot of Teslas here. NYC only grant a limited amount of Uber permits a year and buying a Tesla gets you a leg up without waiting. But it has been mixed so far for many Uber drivers. Some reports of Tesla Uber drivers down 4 hours a day to wait to charge and charge to drive for only 2-3 hours before having to charge again.

I took this photo, it is mine because this poor uber driver got locked out as the car went completely dead. Quite uninformed or risky to buy a Tesla Standard Range Model to go drive for yellow cab.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...ers-to-suffer#
So in the Tesla, like most cars, the locks are part of the 12 volt battery system so the main EV battery state of charge should have no impact on being locked out. I am guessing he left the key card in the car.

There are hardly any public chargers/superchargers in most downtown areas but has not been identified as a major issue.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:02 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
NYC really is lacking. My jobs takes me all over the city almost daily, one of them I drive my Tesla. With the navi constantly in front of you, its very noticeable when you rarely see that red supercharger marker pop up. Not that I ever need them, but it’s noticeable.

If commercial endeavors like Uber and such are going to switch to EV, they will have to figure this out.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-30-2024, 07:48 AM

Other major cities in the world, including ones larger and with a denser core than NYC, have been able to shift to electric taxis at a rapid pace and without the issues. I think a large part of this stems from lack of research on the purchasers part. If you do not have a place to reliably charge when parked overnight, then you should not be getting an EV in the US right now. The combination of what is likely a decent proportion of people buying EVs in the NYC area for this purpose without knowing this then piles on to the public chargers that are available. A lack of consumer education on things like pre-conditioning batteries will also lead to this. People will figure this out eventually through trial and error and gradual growth of public chargers, but in the meantime, this is what we'll get for likely the next few years at least.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:14 PM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Your picture seems to show an actual NYC Yellow Taxi, not an Uber. If that's the case, then it would have a central garage to go home to every night and the taxi company should have at least level 2 chargers to recharge overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles