Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 PM

37 posts, read 61,473 times

Advertisements

No, but I did cancel my cable because of Netflix and the ability to download shows as they come out.

Why should I pay for cable when I only watch a few shows anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Yes. Although once they want you to pay I'll drop watching Youtube.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM

280 posts, read 685,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yes. Although once they want you to pay I'll drop watching Youtube.

Do you ever think that YouTube will ever want you to pay?

They probably already make a handsome sum from advertising.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
I think we're in a huge sea change, traditional tv vs online.

-Traditional tv I think is gone. It jumped the shark, in maybe 2005. Between the increase in commercials, reality tv, watering down of networks (TLC, A&E used to be Arts and Entertainment!). I was looking at a graph of tv rating the other week, they are down dramatically in the last 5-7 years. CBS has stayed neutral. The whole thing is a dinosaur. Nielsen ratings? That's like the horse and buggy.

Youtube (whether it goes to pay tv or not) has opened pandoras box. I can remember before that, videos were kind of rare on the internet. Plus not everyone had high speed internet to watch them. Now, the floodgates are open.

-I think in 5-10-15 years, people are still going to be figuring out pricing models for the internet, how to monetize, how to sell. The internet has changed the world the same way aviation did, the same way cars did. People didn't suddenly figure out how to make money in those in the first 10-15 years. It's going to be evolving. I think there are so many ramifications, implications of online video (and online in general)...its going to be years and years and years before people wrap their head around pricing models.

Some parts of youtube are like PBS multipled. I love old videos. Like Karajan conducting Beethoven's 5th. Piano videos. Documentaries.

Eventually I'd like to see videos categorized....silly, serious, documentaries, etc.

I read, Behind the Candelabra (Michael Douglas Liberace movie) had 2.4 million viewers on sunday. Very small vs so many online videos.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 AM

One way to keep mostly YouTube free is by supporting its competitors--DailyMotion, Metacafe, ViMeo, etc.

Monopolies are usually bad. Indeed, if YouTube knows that its consumers have viable alternatives, then they're less likely to start charging and more likely to appreciate its consumers.

Last edited by VGravitas; 05-29-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I love YouTube!!!!
Spoiler

There are literally millions, if not billions, of videos. Thus far, I've watched documentaries, interviews, movies, debates, video reviews, etc. You name it, and I've probably seen it. I have learned a lot from such videos, and they've broadened my horizons in unimaginable ways.

I now find that I'm watching a lot less television, and I'm considering eliminating cable--and only using antennae tv, which offers the basics.

What about you? Do you find that the Internet, namely YouTube, has made you watch less television?
You may want to go ahead and try that OTA antennae before cutting the cable. And try it more than once. Everyone's experience is going to vary, but would be nice to know what to expect before screwing over ones self.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
You may want to go ahead and try that OTA antennae before cutting the cable. And try it more than once. Everyone's experience is going to vary, but would be nice to know what to expect before screwing over ones self.
Good advice.

Any antennae recommendations?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Good advice.

Any antennae recommendations?
AntennaWeb - Home

Old 06-02-2013, 01:40 PM

27,438 posts, read 1,054,557 times
Yes. I'm watching less conventional TV. Via YouTube I've discovered, and become hooked on, TV programming from other countries (sitcoms, miniseries). I began watching programming from Great Britain, then I expanded to programming from Spain in order to improve my listening skills and expand my vocabulary.

Yes, I have basic cable. No, it doesn't include Univision or similar channels.
No thoughts yet of ending the cable service.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 PM

My cable costs over $60 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts