Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

I have cut back besides shows are online. That indoor HDTV attena at Costco is looking better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
I watch much less television these days. Not because of Youtubes though. Hollywood's decline and failure to stay in touch with it's audience is to blame.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
I haven't evened owned a TV in over 10 years.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Vice channel on YT is awesome they do true, interesting documentaries.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
I haven't had a TV in years. I have no idea what new shows there are or care. I watch YT a lot, but I hate the YouTube police and their pursuit of kind folks sharing the old TV classics. Really if they want to be that way, why not take all the music off too. Is there a way to even watch Hulu without the damn commercials? If Adblock is detected it won't play unless ya deactivate it. I only like the old shows and TVLand and Nick@nite are both crap anymore. I'm sure I couldn't pick up Metv if I had a set, I'm too far from the city. The only thing I miss is TCM, I should have recorded everything I wanted back when I had the dish, years ago.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Haven't had a television in years.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
No. I have no desire to be perched on the computer for everything.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
When I first discovered Youtube in 2006, that was where the big drop off in TV was. There was an earlier dropoff in 1999 when our house got unlimited Internet for the first time. I agree with the 95% is garbage; though at least you can always "google" for the 5%. But its fun watching not just the nostalgic stuff (unless if its vetoed thanks to DVD availability in which I just have to buy it), but also reviews/opinions on stuff of my interest, along with Youtube serving as our personal jukeboxes, where I can just enter a song and let it play without having to put a dime in it. However, I still sometimes visit the main sites of some TV stations to watch recent episodes at the convience of the computer if I can't DVR it. Let's not forget watching some International TV shows that aren't availble on domestic TV!

The best part is probably finding out which TV shows/movies are still availble today, since many have been destroyed/erased over the years, or sit deep in vaults that haven't been aired for along time.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I love YouTube!!!!

There are literally millions, if not billions, of videos. Thus far, I've watched documentaries, interviews, movies, debates, video reviews, etc. You name it, and I've probably seen it. I have learned a lot from such videos, and they've broadened my horizons in unimaginable ways.

I now find that I'm watching a lot less television, and I'm considering eliminating cable--and only using antennae tv, which offers the basics.

What about you? Do you find that the Internet, namely YouTube, has made you watch less television?

I love Wikipedia and Youtube......watching a movie, Wikipedia can tell you the plot (if you missed the beginning) or Youtube could show you the original trailer. I can get lost for hours on youtube, particularly if I am just clicking on videos randomly......I mean who isn't entertained watching people hurt themselves trying to do something stupid?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
It occurs to me I am watching less tv thanks to you tube. It's not just the song game I play, (play one, you have to pick one listed along the side, and so on until you end up with a repeat song) which can get interesting. Or the fifty song long lists with no deletions. But mostly because thanks to You Tube I've discovered a bunch of musicians I didn't know about and now having purchased their music, I have stuff I'm not bored with for now to listen to instead of turning on some stupid tv show just for the 'noise'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts