Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,661,195 times

Advertisements

How would "Hollywood" go about doing this? Is there some overarching Hollywood entity that approves/disapproves of celebrity speech?

Clint's views are his alone and he's certainly free to express himself as he sees fit. Anyone who disagrees can go ahead and say so, too.

Either way, anyone who gets their knickers in a knot over it needs to find a hobby.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM

10,114 posts, read 7,321,881 times
My thoughts when I read the interview were that he's clueless and no wonder he's been divorced twice using that kind of language.

I thought it was funny when he complained about the kids who argue for free college when he went to LA City College... which was free in his day.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:18 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,318,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
some say Hollywood should stop funding his films and actors should refuse to work with him
If you feel strongly (negative) about what he said, simply don't watch his movies. We don't watch Woody Allen movies at our house. I used to. I usually enjoyed them, but in our family we don't approve of sexually abusing children. We don't like racism either, but being an older guy myself, I can live with Mr. Eastwood's statements. (I've heard much worse.) If you can't, you can very easily denounce it by not watching another Eastwood movie.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,282,741 times
Quote:
some say Hollywood should stop funding his films and actors should refuse to work with him
It would have helped to supply a link, I am assuming that this is what the "recent comments" are that you refer to in the thread title.

Clint Eastwood: Trump says 'dumb things' but people should 'get over it' | Reuters

I am undoubtedly more liberal than conservative, but for me Eastwood has it nailed for the most part. And - unfortunately for American politics - a loony like Trump sees that the entire PC thing is waaaaaaaaay out of control too. It is, indeed, time that liberals in all quarters took a good second look at what has happened.

I feel that PC has become so outlandish at this point that it seriously jeopardizes rational attempts to counter racism, sexism, etc.

"Hollywood" as an industry that makes films shouldn't do anything about Mr. Eastwood. If individual actors, directors, etc. disagree with his remarks...fine, let them speak up as individuals, but not as part of some cobbled together Godzilla called "Hollywood."

Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,641,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Remember this is the same Hollywood who still supports Roman Polanski despite raping a 13 year old girl and Woody Allen who had sex with his underage stepdaughter.

But they probably think someone should be denounced for their political views, provided they're conservative, of course.

And for the record, I despise Trump and will never support him under any circumstances. But it's still a free country and Eastwood is still allowed to say whatever he wants.
Perhaps you should spend some time reading about Roman Polanski's youth and young adulthood before you condemn him for not following your personal code of conduct. And the term is statutory rape, not just 'rape'.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:26 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,706,876 times
This is just moronic. Would the OP even post this if it was your typical liberal celebrity making comments???

I don't know who asked Clint the question - journalist or reporter - but he asked and he got an honest answer. I have no problem with his reply and have no desire to boycott anything he does.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:57 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,292,083 times
I'm sure that the leftist moonbats who infest Hollyweird are aghast at Mr. E., but he wouldn't care at this stage what they might do. Just as he didn't care when he referred to Dear Leader as an empty chair.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:03 PM

2,989 posts, read 5,621,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why would they do that? Many people agree with him. The younger people are making this a nation of wusses. Too worried about offending someone.
I didn't hear what he said but i would probably agree with what he says but I couldn't say MOST people would. How do you know what the hundreds of millions of people are thinking? That's one heck of a skill you got

Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,523,301 times
Well what did they say when Joan Rivers spoke out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et38_Ufv-Jw

Then what happened?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 PM

47,097 posts, read 26,218,809 times
Quote:
Who are those "some"? Not, I assume, industry people.

Film funding comes from a multitude of sources. I used to work in the Biz - technical capacity, thank God - and if there's one constant in Hollywood, it is that money rules. If Eastwood's movies can sell tickets, they'll be funded. As for actors, well - apart from a few dozen A-listers, getting talent is always a buyer's market.

Eastwood is a grand old man of Hollywood with an impressive career and he's earned the right to occasionally talk to a chair without it being held against him. Business is business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts