Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Well what did they say when Joan Rivers spoke out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et38_Ufv-Jw

Then what happened?
Wait, what. Are you hinting that sinister forces in Hollywood had Rivers murdered?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,689,802 times
The bygone era myth of a left leaning "Hollywood" has the right in a lasting knot, unfortunately that myth is assumptive of the notion that anyone with brains really gives a damn about the likes of Clint Eastwood, or any of the so called "stars" of today. The myth is simply one more Hollywood claim, very few lefties get anything of substance from "Hollywood". One glance at the supermarket tabloids and those who pick them up reveals the level of their content, and, the level of intellectual capacity of those who read them. Hollywood is a place and not a state of mind, most know the fact of creative people being more left than most, but, the film industry is certainly a monolithic, ultra capitalistic, low brow, money grubbing business. I'm on the left of things and I don't care if Hollywood was blown off the map, as for Clint--- Who cares what he says??

Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,257,532 times
Eastwood had a long successful career of making violent, non-PC movies. Unfortunately for him, times change, and he hasn't been able to change with them.

Not too surprising, my grandparents held views that were also anachronistic and some were racist or borderline racist... but that is how they were raised and it wasn't considered racist when they were growing up, it was simply the way things were, the status quo. Eastwood's in the same boat, he's old and set in his ways, and there's just no changing him. He's free to say what he wants, but most people know he's an old fossil and doesn't really speak for anyone.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:45 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,366,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I haven't yet read his actual comments, although I'm looking forward to it.

But are you suggesting that liberals should abandon the concept of freedom of speech?
That is exactly what the Fascists who conceived the Frankenstein called Political Correctness did years ago.

Mr. Eastwood serves as a reminder that most of us aren't ready to swallow all the swill that the clique who believe they speak for all the entertainment industry dish out; john Wayne with a bit more discretion. And that is what probably upsets the would-be Ministry of Truth the most.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
One glance at the supermarket tabloids and those who pick them up reveals the level of their content, and, the level of intellectual capacity of those who read them.
And the pretty people in the shiny photos aren't the ones making decisions, anyway. Well, rarely.

Quote:
Hollywood is a place and not a state of mind, most know the fact of creative people being more left than most, but, the film industry is certainly a monolithic, ultra capitalistic, low brow, money grubbing business.
Very true. It's one of the few places where the classical Free Market still reigns supreme, movies succeed or fail in direct competition. Although I'm not sure of the "monolithic" bit. If you show up with capital and a script, studios will happily make your movie and do so to the highest professional standards. Market and distribute it, too.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:23 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,964,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Eastwood had a long successful career of making violent, non-PC movies. Unfortunately for him, times change, and he hasn't been able to change with them.

Not too surprising, my grandparents held views that were also anachronistic and some were racist or borderline racist... but that is how they were raised and it wasn't considered racist when they were growing up, it was simply the way things were, the status quo. Eastwood's in the same boat, he's old and set in his ways, and there's just no changing him. He's free to say what he wants, but most people know he's an old fossil and doesn't really speak for anyone.
I just saw a rather recent movie by him - Rules of the Game, or something like that. It was totally non-violent, as he played an aging baseball scout. "Gran Torino" was non-violent as well. One of his best movies IMO was "Million Dollar Baby". Again, non violent.

It's been a long time since his Dirty Harry or Josie Wales days. What do you base your comments on that he hasn't been able to change the type of movies he stars in?

I can't even keep up with all the insulting, nasty comments made by Hollywood "stars" trashing Trump. Eastwood makes a comment and the lynch mob arises. Give me a break.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,853 times
Why are so many of our young people such thin skinned, PC wimps? Grow a sack and understand that not everybody is going to agree with you. They might even be nasty about it.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,686,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I didn't hear what he said but i would probably agree with what he says but I couldn't say MOST people would. How do you know what the hundreds of millions of people are thinking? That's one heck of a skill you got
Where did I say Most? You insult me when you are the one that can't read!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:58 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
No one gives a hoot about that old coot.
I do. Great actor/producer and man.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:30 PM

50,987 posts, read 24,484,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
In other words some people are suggesting that we punish others for saying what they have every right to say? Would you suggest that we suspend the 1st amendment?
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you may not suffer consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts