Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 03:55 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times

Advertisements

I can understand why some people may not enjoy going to concerts, but I personally love them. I had never been to one until I was 15. The first one I went to was in this super seedy little place in a bad area of Memphis to watch a few local rock bands perform. It was awesome! The energy of the place was great, music wasn't bad either, and I met several people who shared similar interests. I also went to the Beale Street Music Festival (all 3 days of it) for 6 years straight at one point. I've been to shows at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Red Rocks Amphitheater, and everything in between. I enjoy meeting new people, dancing and singing, and watching bands I like live.

My husband and I still enjoy going to shows, although we prefer smaller venues now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

My husband and I still enjoy going to shows, although we prefer smaller venues now.

My first concert was at 15, in a major local arena. I probably went to 4-5 concerts in the 80s, all in pretty big venues. I saw Plant/Page in 1993 at the Boston Garden. I really wanted to see them as I felt I missed the whole Zep/Who/Doors era. What a disappointment, the music was good but I couldn't see a damn thing of the stage. I spent two hours standing on a rickety folding chair because all the idiots in front of me had to stand. I didn't go to another concert till 2010.

It was a smaller venue. I didn't have the best of seats, but I got to sit in my seat the entire time. They had screens, but I could see them on stage. It was amazing!! I went to 4-6 shows that year, all in small venues.

There are a few artists I still like to see, and I try to go when they are in the area, even if I drive a couple of hours to see them. The smaller the venue the better. This year I got to meet a few of my childhood idols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I wouldn’t want to spend time around a person with this attitude at either one.
^^^^^^^^^^ Hey I found woooo guy!!!!

Seriously, that's what they meant. At larger venues, you definitely find a larger slice of viewers and there's always that handful who won't.shut.up.at.all. They don't seem to be as common in the more intimate places.

A couple of years ago I had the artists "biggest fan" (think Kathy Bates) next to me and woo guy not far behind. I was not a happy camper by the time the show was over.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I enjoy the experience of "Feeling" the music. Good rock shows are worth the price of admittance. Bands make their money by touring these days as opposed to Albums/CDs like in the old days.

In the last two months - Bob Seger, Heart with Joan Jett, Kansas and Alice Cooper. And I'd do it again....
Bob Seger for me as well in October!

Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

^^^^^^^^^^ Hey I found woooo guy!!!!

Seriously, that's what they meant. At larger venues, you definitely find a larger slice of viewers and there's always that handful who won't.shut.up.at.all. They don't seem to be as common in the more intimate places.

A couple of years ago I had the artists "biggest fan" (think Kathy Bates) next to me and woo guy not far behind. I was not a happy camper by the time the show was over.
No. I just thought your comment was rude and condescending. I've come across inconsiderate people in many different settings.

You try to save face, but saying that people who attend classical music concerts are a better class of people is insulting, full stop.

Of course a classical performance is a different experience than a rock concert, and I think most people have enough sense to treat them as such.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Bob Seger for me as well in October!
I saw one of his hometown shows in Michigan this past summer. I definitely enjoyed myself, but old Bob is definitely showing his age. His singing was better than I expected, but his voice definitely doesn't have the power it once did. I hate realizing that my heroes are mere mortals like the rest of us. The only person that seems to completely defy this is Mick Jagger. He's 40 years my senior and could run circles around me!

Old 12-11-2019, 06:41 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
No. I just thought your comment was rude and condescending. I've come across inconsiderate people in many different settings.

You try to save face, but saying that people who attend classical music concerts are a better class of people is insulting, full stop.

Of course a classical performance is a different experience than a rock concert, and I think most people have enough sense to treat them as such.
First, it wasn't my comment.

Second, you will absolutely get different types of people at different concerts. Definitely an obnoxious person would likely be obnoxious no matter what type of concert they went to - it's in their nature. But I'm betting an usher would quickly remove a very rowdy person if they showed up at a classic music concert. I think you have to be pretty bad to get removed from a rock concert!

Old 12-11-2019, 06:43 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.

Most people go to work all week, take care of chores and errands on weekends, drive their kids around to soccer practice and other activities, then it's Monday again and the cycle repeats, week after week.

Life is about experiences. A concert is no different than a vacation in my book... getting out and doing something new and exciting.

We don't go to that many concerts, so when we do, we usually pay for VIP access, parking, lounge, the works. It adds up to a complete experience. Last time we went to a Dave Matthews concert, the VIP lounge access we had was great, they were serving his wines (Dreaming Tree) for free all night in there. For the actual concert, we had VIP seats with great visibility and soundstage... and the concierges would come by and take our drink/food orders and bring it to us so we didn't have to miss any of the concert by leaving our seats for that stuff. And when it was time to go, our car was about 30 ft from the door and the traffic cops gave our lot/exit priority when leaving so we didn't have to fight traffic.

Live music is much more interactive than just hearing the same song on the radio, it has nothing to do with celebrity worship. Most people don't have the equipment to be able to reproduce that kind of sound/ambiance. As another poster said, for some, it comes close to being like a religious experience that you will just never get any other way listening to music.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Second, you will absolutely get different types of people at different concerts. Definitely an obnoxious person would likely be obnoxious no matter what type of concert they went to - it's in their nature. But I'm betting an usher would quickly remove a very rowdy person if they showed up at a classic music concert. I think you have to be pretty bad to get removed from a rock concert!
My apologies, I thought the person who posted the original comment was the same one who applied to me.

And yes, a rock concert will (rightfully) be a lot rowdier than a performance of Vivaldi. It's the nature of the music.

Also, I am not the obnoxious concert goer that you suggested I am.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:

You had a not-so-great experience at a concert in 1993 and then didn't go to another concert for seventeen years. Just a semi-educated guess, but I feel like your obnoxiousness tolerance might be on the low end of the spectrum.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:04 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times
Quote:
My first concert was at 15, in a major local arena. I probably went to 4-5 concerts in the 80s, all in pretty big venues. I saw Plant/Page in 1993 at the Boston Garden. I really wanted to see them as I felt I missed the whole Zep/Who/Doors era. What a disappointment, the music was good but I couldn't see a damn thing of the stage. I spent two hours standing on a rickety folding chair because all the idiots in front of me had to stand. I didn't go to another concert till 2010.

It was a smaller venue. I didn't have the best of seats, but I got to sit in my seat the entire time. They had screens, but I could see them on stage. It was amazing!! I went to 4-6 shows that year, all in small venues.

There are a few artists I still like to see, and I try to go when they are in the area, even if I drive a couple of hours to see them. The smaller the venue the better. This year I got to meet a few of my childhood idols.
We tend to stay away from the big venues now as well. When we were younger, we enjoyed being in the crowds and all, but now.... Not so much. Locally, we go to a place in downtown Mobile a lot called Soul Kitchen. It's a small venue, mostly standing but you can purchase seats as well, which give you a good view without having to look over people because they are raised and on the side. The artists that perform also have a tendency to hang out in the lobby after they play as well, some of them selling merch and whatnot. We have got to meet Breaking Benjamin at one show, 10 Years and Chevelle at another, Highly Suspect, Bad Wolves.... We are rock people, if you couldn't tell, and getting to meet all of these guys was very cool. The guys from 10 Years even came into the actual venue and watched the Chevelle show after their set.

The Hangout Fest is obviously the big one down in my area, and draws thousands and thousands of people every year, but we have never been. Too busy and crowded (and expensive. $340 a person this year) for me. Instead, we usually go down to the Flora-Bama and wait on the musicians to show up after their set. A couple of years ago we got to hang out with Dave Grohl, and he bought the entire place a round.

Basically, I am saying that smaller venues are better, imho. Large venues have their purpose of course, just not my bag anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts