Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I enjoy the experience of "Feeling" the music. Good rock shows are worth the price of admittance. Bands make their money by touring these days as opposed to Albums/CDs like in the old days.

In the last two months - Bob Seger, Heart with Joan Jett, Kansas and Alice Cooper. And I'd do it again....
You must be in or near the Twin Cities.

Have you taken in a show at the Zoo during the summer concert series? It is my favorite venue in the area ... have seen Little Feat (multiple times), Black Crowes, Govt. Mule, Derek Trucks Band, BoDeans, Los Lobos, String Cheese, Buddy Guy and others there. Good sound, not a bad seat in the place in terms of closeness to stage and sightlines. Only issue is if it rains. Plus they end shows at a hard 10 p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What do people like about them? I know of people paying $300++ for a ticket. Celebrity worship?

I couldn’t care less about seeing the actual celebrity/performer in person. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand in a crowd watching them on a big screen.

If I like a song - I just want to HEAR the damn song! And after I hear it about 100 times I need my distance...might enjoy it only occasionally if it pops on the radio.

I feel like people think I’m weird when I say I don’t care for concerts.
I worked at a company where the second in command spent $600 per ticket (2 him and fiancee) and another $2K for a trip to Anaheim for an Eminem concert.

When several old bands came through (SuperTramp lead singer) Jeff Lynne and Heart I thought about going, but then saw tickets at $50-$200 I said "Love your music, but not THAT much"

So I just spend the money on debts.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
Another eddiehaskell post ("I don't understand/why do other people ...?").

Your money, your choice.

I would not pay to go to a lot of things or go if even if free: pro basketball games, any soccer match, a SciFi convention, an auto show ...

What makes life interesting is everyone is different.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:00 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,314 times
I can't understand the appeal of spending thousands on a fishing boat and reels, but to each their own. That's a great thing and would never post about "not getting it" or calling it "fish worship" but whatever. Heck some people like reality TV. Go figure.

I personally love live shows. There is a collective experience with like minded people that can take place at a great concert. A Floyd or Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert is simply an experience more then a concert. Or seeing thousands of middle aged people singing at the top of their lungs along with Bruce from Iron Maiden. Or smiling right along with Sammy Hagar feels like a party if not for a couple of hours. Or getting choked up as Alter bridge sings Blackbird.

There is simply an emotional experience that can take place when seeing an artist play/sing from the heart is a sight to see.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
My post assumes it is a band that actually plays live

I love attending concerts for several reasons. While the band may play songs I've heard many times, it's exciting for me to hear them recreate them live and in the moment. It isn't the same exact performance I've heard at home, I'm watching a unique performance of that song. Maybe the band will decide to play it differently, or maybe the lead guitarist will improvise and take an extended solo. Sometimes you hear notes flubbed here and there or a wrong lyric which I enjoy. Maybe the band will play a song they rarely put in their live set and you'll be there to see it.

There is also a social component. It's fun to see a band you love and be around others who feel the same way. It's a shared experience and there is a real energy being there live.

I am a huge fan of live music. A live concert is the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience. To me music is the only real magic that exists on Earth.
Amen!

Old 12-12-2019, 03:54 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
There is a place for both concerts and recordings.

A concert is all about the moment. It’s about the physical sensation of being there in that big airy amphitheater or that cramped little club. It’s about losing yourself in the visceral rush. You wake up the next morning and all that remains is the memory. It was fun, but it’s over.

With a recording, an album, the idea is to create something with staying power. The music is meticulously recorded, mixed, sweetened, and preserved for repeated play. A recording is timeless. Some people still have their old vinyl from decades ago so they can repeatedly listen to their great old songs. Musicians make recordings with the hope that in 3 generations hence, people will still be listening.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
I guess I just don’t care about:

1. Feeing the music vibrate
2. Seeing the artist somehow make it more unique (or seeing them at all really)
3. Sharing the experience with others
4. Being in a “special” place

Perhaps I’m a stick in the mud.

Heck, seeing people so excited about music they’ve heard 1000 times actually annoys me in some way, lol.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Another eddiehaskell post ("I don't understand/why do other people ...?").

Your money, your choice.

I would not pay to go to a lot of things or go if even if free: pro basketball games, any soccer match, a SciFi convention, an auto show ...

What makes life interesting is everyone is different.
Nothing wrong with asking why, right? I am truly fascinated by the things humans seem to enjoy and be passionate about.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I can't understand the appeal of spending thousands on a fishing boat and reels, but to each their own. That's a great thing and would never post about "not getting it" or calling it "fish worship" but whatever. Heck some people like reality TV. Go figure.

I personally love live shows. There is a collective experience with like minded people that can take place at a great concert. A Floyd or Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert is simply an experience more then a concert. Or seeing thousands of middle aged people singing at the top of their lungs along with Bruce from Iron Maiden. Or smiling right along with Sammy Hagar feels like a party if not for a couple of hours. Or getting choked up as Alter bridge sings Blackbird.

There is simply an emotional experience that can take place when seeing an artist play/sing from the heart is a sight to see.
To me, there’s a difference between “doing” something and observing something. For example, to me, playing basketball is much different than viewing a movie.

A fisherman in your example is “doing” something - he’s the star of the show...the creator, the lead singer, the lead guitarist.

Perhaps I simply don’t have the emotional depth to get an emotional experience from seeing a song performed live. I could however “feel” a song when I’m in deep thought, alone and hear the words...more of a meditation. However, nothing about that experience makes me seek out a live performance.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Why anyone would pay a fortune to attend a massive stadium event r festival is beyone me.

You can hear some fairly decent bands in smaller venues.

Festivals are well over rated and usuaslly involve paying a fortune to sleep in a tent in a muddy field, and there are so many people you don't get to see much in relation to the msain stage.

There are also charming traditions such as throwing bottles of urine in to the crowd and bands on stage.

Reading Festival: The strange tradition of throwing bottles of urine - BBC newsbeat

Anyone performing music would need to pay me to watch them. I would charge $300-400 to watch anyone (he’ll even Elvis or MJ brought back) perform in a large venue and $250 for smaller venues.

Gotta be doing more than singing or playing instruments for me to crack open my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts