Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We saw him twice. Once in Atlantic City and once in Vegas. I'm telling you, I was gasping for air I was laughing so hard. My ribs hurt for days

He was funny!!!!!!
I certainly hope so. He's been famous for a long time.

There is another pretty good comedian from a long time back, but not quite as old. I forget his name, his name isn't that famous, but he used to open for Frank Sinatra. And I think he is still working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Very little love for the ladies in this thread. What about:

Ellen DeGeneres
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Rita Rudner
Brett Butler
Paula Poundstone
Lily Tomlin
Anne Meara

Old 04-08-2020, 05:14 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Ellen DeGeneres
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Rita Rudner
Brett Butler
Paula Poundstone
Lily Tomlin
Anne Meara
Don't forget Phyllis Diller.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Ellen DeGeneres
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Rita Rudner
Brett Butler
Paula Poundstone
Lily Tomlin
Anne Meara
Ellen is one of my favorites. Her storytelling and pace are perfect IMO. Really like Paula Poundstone and Kathleen Madigan as well. Watched some of Gina Yashere’s stand up recently, she is hilarious.

This may be sexist but I don’t find a lot of women comedians funny. However I really like a lot of comedic actresses (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristin Bell, Kristin Wiig, Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper...). Too many women stand ups follow the Sarah Silverman, Chelsey Handler and Amy Schumer path of vulgarity and shocking sexual jokes. That is played out and not creative IMO.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Don't forget Phyllis Diller.
She was mentioned upthread, but yes, she was hilarious.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:19 AM

8 posts, read 2,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Too many women stand ups follow the Sarah Silverman, Chelsey Handler and Amy Schumer path of vulgarity and shocking sexual jokes. That is played out and not creative IMO.

To be fair, you could say that about a lot of the top male standup comics as well:

Pryor, Murphy and Chappelle all had the same 'race-shtick' as their core act. It's definitely funny and I'm a big fan of Chappelle but a lot of his bits are a rehashed version of Pryor's bits.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:28 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Ellen is one of my favorites. Her storytelling and pace are perfect IMO. Really like Paula Poundstone and Kathleen Madigan as well. Watched some of Gina Yashere’s stand up recently, she is hilarious.

This may be sexist but I don’t find a lot of women comedians funny. However I really like a lot of comedic actresses (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristin Bell, Kristin Wiig, Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper...). Too many women stand ups follow the Sarah Silverman, Chelsey Handler and Amy Schumer path of vulgarity and shocking sexual jokes. That is played out and not creative IMO.
I used to think Sarah Silverman was funny with her shocking jokes. It’s better than the usual I’m a woman and have a vagina bits a lot of them do. I hate when we have to sit through them all going on about women in public restrooms type of stuff.

Sarah Silverman and Roseanne Barr were the only females to make me laugh out loud at times. Oh, and probably Joan Rivers though I haven’t seen her go at it in a while. I agree with you about women being funnier actresses than stand up comedians. Kristin Wiig and Tina Fey are really top notch as funny writers and actresses, but I bet neither of them would do well in a stand up. There really are only a few people who do it so well and effortlessly.

Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
Dave Chappell
Colin Quinn (his history of the world show is one of the funniest I’ve seen in a long time)

I know there are more, but I can’t think of them right now. Will need to revisit.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:23 AM

385 posts, read 205,395 times
Eddie Izzard. Hilarious!

Old 07-29-2020, 01:44 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
No particular order (other than #1):

George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Dave Chappelle
Chris Rock
Bill Burr
Patrice O'Neal
Don Rickles
Joan Rivers
Rodney Dangerfield
Robin Williams

Old 07-29-2020, 04:32 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Bill Burr is one of the funniest at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts