Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 04:40 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know that Superman always needs to be "squeaky clean." It's okay if Superman makes mistakes. But Superman has a strong moral compass, always tries to do the right thing, and owns up to his mistakes.

This is something the Snyder films seem to have forsaken. I suspect it's due largely to Snyder's Objectivism, which tries (and fails) to turn selfishness into a virtue.

I have never been a huge Superman fan. Great origin, then he gest boring. Not for me. But hey, that's okay. Tastes differ. That said, the Paul Dini / Bruce Timm Superman cartoons were fantastic.
]
I think the origin is Superman's biggest weakness, because everybody knows it, and they keep retelling it every time they recast him.
When they replace Cavill, they need to forget about the origin, and choose from the wide variety of comic book villains, and avoid Zod.
They wasted Superman Returns on Lex.
They wasted Man Of Steel on Zod.

And they should make Superman's world as dark as possible, full of death and destruction, because then he stands out like a beacon of hope and purity (if they use the Christopher Reeve version of him).
They failed when they tried to darken Superman's character, because then he loses what makes him special, and becomes too similar to all the other superheros who have this self-entitled jerk quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I think the origin is Superman's biggest weakness, because everybody knows it, and they keep retelling it every time they recast him.
When they replace Cavill, they need to forget about the origin, and choose from the wide variety of comic book villains, and avoid Zod.
They wasted Superman Returns on Lex.
They wasted Man Of Steel on Zod.

And they should make Superman's world as dark as possible, full of death and destruction, because then he stands out like a beacon of hope and purity (if they use the Christopher Reeve version of him).
Wow. I completely disagree with everything you wrote. But hey, that's okay. Neither of us are in charge of Superman.

Quote:
They failed when they tried to darken Superman's character, because then he loses what makes him special, and becomes too similar to all the other superheros who have this self-entitled jerk quality.
And with that, you go ...

Old 01-14-2021, 04:57 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I never liked superheroes even as a kid, and certainly don't have any interest in them now as an adult. But what I have found is that people who watch these movies are REALLY into this stuff and that is probably why they make big money. These are the types of people that will go to the theater and watch the same movies 2-3x.
As did/do fans of the Fast & Furious, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars franchises.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Superhero movies make such huge money, but they require less acting skill, and less writing skill, than any genre.
Talk about reductionist.

Quote:
A lot of those actors could have spent their time doing real films, but chose big money instead.
Silly remark. Those actors do make films outside the superhero genre. Click this link: www.IMDb.com

Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Talk about reductionist.

Silly remark. Those actors do make films outside the superhero genre. Click this link: www.IMDb.com
Nah, really?
Great scripts rarely come along, and they don't wait for Robert Downey Jr to find a gap in his Marvel schedule.
I bet he's passed up a lot because of Iron Man, the most predictable and empty character of all-time.
His time has been wasted on Iron Man. His career has been wasted on something that is only good for money.
A lot of these actors could have spent their time doing real films, but chose big money instead.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Nah, really?
Great scripts rarely come along, and they don't wait for Robert Downey Jr to find a gap in his Marvel schedule.
Again, you're adhering to a decision before a discussion can begin.

Quote:
I bet he's passed up a lot because of Iron Man, the most predictable and empty character of all-time.
Heard of free will? Some actors don't get the same offers as others. Chris Evans has said repeatedly he wants to direct. Now there's a rumor he may play Captain America one more time. Is he not getting other offers? is the money too good?

Who cares? He's good at the role.

Downey won over audiences as Tony Stark way back in 2008. That's the long and short of it. Before that, his career was on life support. What did you expect him to do after he suddenly found success on a level that was not only unfamiliar to him, but had eluded him for years due to a prolonged romance with addiction?

Quote:
His time has been wasted on Iron Man. His career has been wasted on something that is only good for money.
A lot of these actors could have spent their time doing real films, but chose big money instead.
Downey almost wasn't Iron Man. Favreau fought to get him the role. You can bet the last five in your grimy billfold that Downey wakes up everyday and thanks a higher power for that second (third?) chance.

And for the record, I have issues with Downey's portrayal of the character and many other elements intrinsic to the MCU. (Just ask Mark.)

The bottom line is: You don't have to watch any of these movies. Or shows. There's tons of content. Get a Roku.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The bottom line is: You don't have to watch any of these movies. Or shows.
I never said I did.
They are the genre I've seen less of than any other genre.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:44 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
If you don’t care about superhero movies don’t watch them. It’s as simple as that. I would like for there to be a bit more variety in there, but the genre is here to stay for a while.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Logan, that was one of the best gritty superhero movies of the last few years. I’d say it was even better than Nolan’s trilogy.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:48 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Nah, really?
I believe Leonardo DiCaprio isn’t interested in starring in a superhero movie otherwise he would have already gotten involved. He’s one actor who’s very picky about the roles he accepts. He turned down a chance to play Anakin in Star Wars Episode II as well.

While we’re at it, I believe Edward Norton didn’t want to keep playing the Hulk so the role went to Mark Ruffalo.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:58 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned Logan, that was one of the best gritty superhero movies of the last few years. I’d say it was even better than Nolan’s trilogy.
And you would be correct if you said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts