Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 05:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times

Advertisements

The whole equal opportunity in America is just like affirmative action. It's never about equal opportunity. Its always been about where ever it's convenient to insert _____ actor into a role without consideration of the impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 06:05 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I just don't understand why non-whites but get upset when whites portray non-white persons, but they think that the reverse is just fine (for non-whites to portray whites), Imo, that is one more double standard that I don't like, although one or the other would be just fine with me (although I confess that I would prefer Japanese actors to portray Japanese characters, for example, and for Euro-whites to portray English kings and queens).

I will also say that some shows do get it right when they present a non-white character in what most people, I think, would consider an "all whites" setting. For example, a black woman was presented as a lady-in-waiting who was descended from royalty in the mini-series The Spanish Princess* (about Catherine of Aragon) -- and this was based on a real person. However, I doubt whether many people would know that, and would think that the mini-series just invented such an important black character.

https://www.tudorsociety.com/african...0slave%20trade.

*I did enjoy that mini-series, btw, and this is some more info about it. https://www.historyextra.com/period/...nie-levi-john/

Last edited by katharsis; 04-01-2021 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Interesting subject that I have wondered about too, but was not brave enough to bring up. I have seen several shows lately that made me question the accuracy or believability of the roles. Like, it would be great if every other judge was actually an older minority woman, but really. They're "all" old white men in real life....

On a related subject, we are enjoying "Billions" on Netflix and find it sort of beyond logic that the "non-binary" character, Taylor, has somehow convinced everyone to call her "them/they", even the Russian guy who speaks sub-par English. It would be more believable if the characters screwed that up occasionally, or that some of the less-savory characters would refuse to alter the language just for this androgenous character. Apparently that's how she is in real life too. Good for her, just kind of beyond belief....

I'm glad to find out about the black Britons, because I did find that hard to believe too, but now it makes sense. In this new Sherlock Holmes show, Watson is black. But he's fictional anyway, right?

Old 04-01-2021, 06:21 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Anachronistic portrayals do bother me, because they remove me from the moment and force me to look at the actor, instead of focusing on the character. Hamilton is the example I often think of. Alexander Hamilton was an historical figure, and he was a white man. Thus, I think that he should be portrayed by a white man, in the same way that Martin Luther King should be portrayed by a black man, or Emperor Hirohito should be portrayed by an Asian man.

Even in historical fiction, I still want things to be generally accurate for the period. There was a Star Trek Next Generation episode where they went back to 1800s San Francisco, and Guinan (played by Whoopi Goldberg) was some prominent person in high society. This just didn't work for me, because I highly doubt that a black woman would have been socially prominent in any American city in the 1800s.

Now, if we're talking about alternative history, then anything goes. If someone wants to create an alternate world in which the first U.S. president was a black woman named Georgina Washington, I'm fine with that.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Anachronistic portrayals do bother me, because they remove me from the moment and force me to look at the actor, instead of focusing on the character. Hamilton is the example I often think of. Alexander Hamilton was an historical figure, and he was a white man. Thus, I think that he should be portrayed by a white man, in the same way that Martin Luther King should be portrayed by a black man, or Emperor Hirohito should be portrayed by an Asian man.

Even in historical fiction, I still want things to be generally accurate for the period. There was a Star Trek Next Generation episode where they went back to 1800s San Francisco, and Guinan (played by Whoopi Goldberg) was some prominent person in high society. This just didn't work for me, because I highly doubt that a black woman would have been socially prominent in any American city in the 1800s.

Now, if we're talking about alternative history, then anything goes. If someone wants to create an alternate world in which the first U.S. president was a black woman named Georgina Washington, I'm fine with that.

I could accept Guinan's being a prominent person in San Francisco because, as I remember the multi-part story, she seemed to be hanging out with artists and intellectuals, rather than politicians or women of 'high society'. Or she could have been viewed as a curiosity, i.e. an intelligent, charming black woman of wealth and discernment must be seen and visited to be believed, perhaps more in keeping with attitudes of the 1800's, as racist as they were in the general public at least.

Hamilton should be portrayed as a white man; but what the hey, Hamilton is a musical, with singing/dancing politicians, so it's already thrown reality out the window. The story and songs were good.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:58 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Interesting subject that I have wondered about too, but was not brave enough to bring up. I have seen several shows lately that made me question the accuracy or believability of the roles. Like, it would be great if every other judge was actually an older minority woman, but really. They're "all" old white men in real life....

On a related subject, we are enjoying "Billions" on Netflix and find it sort of beyond logic that the "non-binary" character, Taylor, has somehow convinced everyone to call her "them/they", even the Russian guy who speaks sub-par English. It would be more believable if the characters screwed that up occasionally, or that some of the less-savory characters would refuse to alter the language just for this androgenous character. Apparently that's how she is in real life too. Good for her, just kind of beyond belief....
Its funny how its fine for historical dramas to be racially diverse in ways that were often not the case at that time but a new sit-com called the United States of Al got blasted for creating a fictional character that is suppose to be from Afghanistan but is really of heritage from India. Growing up I remember westerns who cast white people in brown face to play the parts of native americans. Which even then I thought was way out of line. But racial diversity is a one way street. White people now are never going to be cast today in historical dramas where the characters were at that time and place non white.

Regarding Taylor and Billions. Well you are calling Taylor "her" which you accurately stated would not be done by any cast member of Billions who always get it right. But you do prove your own point that saying "they" correctly every time is not likely to happen.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Bridgerton wasn't really meant to be historically accurate. It was a fictional story set in a quasi-historical/"utopian" version of the past.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:04 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
A good actor rises above his race. Hamilton is just such an example. After 5 minutes, you did not notice.
Same with actors with disabilities as with the most recent Oklahoma.
Maybe it’s easier to accomplish with live theater because of the intimacy.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:30 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
A good actor rises above his race. Hamilton is just such an example. After 5 minutes, you did not notice.
Same with actors with disabilities as with the most recent Oklahoma.
Yasss! Ali Stroker made an awesome Ado Annie!

Old 04-02-2021, 07:51 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Bridgerton wasn't really meant to be historically accurate. It was a fictional story set in a quasi-historical/"utopian" version of the past.
It seems to me that a lot of these "historical" films on Netflix are not intended to be historically correct.

But rather politically correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts