Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

I watched a VHS tape just last night. There are a lot of specialty tapes I have purchased over the years. I have a shelf of VHS that is largely rare interviews and old photos from Vermonters. I also am very aware of how movies get various "cuts" and versions. I kick myself because there was one version of "Cinema Paradiso" that I loved. I got rid of the tape and the version I found after was completely different. There are other movies where I KNOW what the theatrical cut was, because I saw parts of them every night for weeks. Re-releases are not the same.

As for what lasts - I just tried using a replacement ROKU player that I had bought a few weeks ago. It has already failed and won't even respond to the remote. What is available at any time is based upon which rich company pays which rich company or doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 12:02 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I watched a VHS tape just last night. There are a lot of specialty tapes I have purchased over the years. I have a shelf of VHS that is largely rare interviews and old photos from Vermonters. I also am very aware of how movies get various "cuts" and versions. I kick myself because there was one version of "Cinema Paradiso" that I loved. I got rid of the tape and the version I found after was completely different. There are other movies where I KNOW what the theatrical cut was, because I saw parts of them every night for weeks. Re-releases are not the same.

As for what lasts - I just tried using a replacement ROKU player that I had bought a few weeks ago. It has already failed and won't even respond to the remote. What is available at any time is based upon which rich company pays which rich company or doesn't.
Yes, some movies are only available on VHS ...never released on DVD or Bluray....
I have quite of few hard to find movies in my collection.

I used to have 7 VHS machines...had to throw away 4 of them as they stopped
working....so I'm down to 3 ....one Hitachi ....and 2 VHS/DVD combo units ...
Hitachi and Panasonic...also have 4 more DVD players....1 of them is "multi region"...
so I can play my region 2 DVDs from Europe.

I have cut back my VHS collection to about 300 movies....mainly purchased
from video rental stores that were going out of business and flea markets...
and another approx 500 movies taped off TV ...usually 3 movies per tape.

My DVD collection is much larger ....about 2000 movies ....and lots of TV series...
mostly TV shows from the 1960s 70s ...also a few newer series from 80s 90s

I like that I "own" them....and some come with "extras" ...delted scenes...commentary...
they do take up a lot of space ..in my case, an entire room.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Still have a console TV with a vcr on top of it. I keep it in a spare bedroom/den.
Have lots of videos, family wedding videos. TV series, etc.

Still have the 2002 Giants super bowl on video, and the news broadcast of 9/11 with Tom Brokaw

If the cable/internet ever goes out there's always something to watch when you want.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:56 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
The best are VHS recordings of regular TV from the 80s and 90s. Not sure why I enjoy watching old commercials from the 80s on Youtube so much.

I would say many Americans over 40 still have VHS cassettes in their home, they just don't have anything to play them with.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:33 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The best are VHS recordings of regular TV from the 80s and 90s. Not sure why I enjoy watching old commercials from the 80s on Youtube so much.

I would say many Americans over 40 still have VHS cassettes in their home, they just don't have anything to play them with.
I still have a S- VHS VCR that plays ok but the new tv's don't have a way to use them without a lot of trouble. No S Vid input on TV's.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:51 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
You might have fun with this website! It lets you watch classic TV - including commercials - like it's in real time. Choose your decade from the 1960s-2000s. It's a great time-waster lol.

https://www.myretrotvs.com/

Old 08-28-2022, 01:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Make sure you check the value before donating them. [Surpassingly] some of the classics are worth decent money.

https://www.familyminded.com/s/valua...5e6b8ca0944a20

Old 09-21-2022, 12:11 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You might have fun with this website! It lets you watch classic TV - including commercials - like it's in real time. Choose your decade from the 1960s-2000s. It's a great time-waster lol.

https://www.myretrotvs.com/

That's fantastic!

Even ancient commercials in the mix.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:40 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Sure don't work with AOL.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:48 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
That's fantastic!

Even ancient commercials in the mix.
Yup! I think that's the coolest part... you can find old shows online pretty easily, but the commercials? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts