Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 08:13 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I tend to like the older 70-80s movies and for the price of Prime I also get free shipping which Netflix does not do.
Same here. Free shipping, old movies, etc.

In case anybody's interested Amazon Prime is running James Bond movies all the way back to the first one, Dr No.

I quit Netflix due to too many frequent price increases.

I also subscribe to AcornTV and Britbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 09:11 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
I have Amazon for free shipping but they have some decent shows and movies which is a nice bonus - there are more than a few original movies and shows that are worth watching. I get Netflix for free through T-Mobile so not really an issue of one over the other.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:52 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I have Amazon prime for the free shipping mostly, but they have had some great shows that I have enjoyed in the past, but to me, that is just an extra bonus.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:58 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The problem is all streaming services are getting their product from Hollywood which is horrible.
That may be true for their U.S.-produced series, but not for its foreign ones. Four international series of particular note on Netflix are Katla from Iceland, Shtisel from Israel, Midnight Diner from Japan, and Into the Night from Belgium. They were all very different, yet all uniformly excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9zZ...hannel=Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxm5...l=SFJewishFilm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE6N...l=PitchingRoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGos...hannel=Netflix

And Amazon Prime has some great International series and movies as well. One movie in particular that is excellent is Cold War, the acclaimed Polish film by Pawel Pawlikowski. It was produced by Amazon and it received three Oscar nominations for Best Foreign Film, Best Director, and Best Cinematography. I found the film thoroughly enjoyable and much better than the overhyped (imo) Roma. In fact, I'm surprised that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture when it was released. Here are a couple of trailers for the movie.

[/quote]

Old 07-18-2022, 09:23 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I subscribe for free shipping. I hardly use the programming.

Ditto. For the most part, I find Amazon Prime Video worthless. I'll find an occasional gem but for the most part, I don't watch much.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:52 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
I pay for several streaming services and add or drop them from time to time. I got Prime for shipping, and that includes special deals at the Amazon Fresh grocery store two miles away from me. I have been a member of Comixology for several years; there are multiple comic books/graphic novels included for free because I have Amazon Prime.

No one has mentioned "Amazon FreeVee" (used to be Imdb) which is an ad-supported free streaming service from Amazon that does not require a subscription.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned the excellent free-on-demand streaming service https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/, a highly eclectic selection of documentaries from around the world. I have used it for years, as it always provides me with something unusual and interesting to watch, completely divorced from standard American mass-market media fodder.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:02 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Yes Amazon Prime has nothing good. Most of the movies that are free on amazon prime can be found on Tubi or other free streaming services.
Prime USED to have a lot more good stuff for free. Seems like in the last year especially they've started charging extra for a lot of that.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Quote:
The problem is all streaming services are getting their product from Hollywood which is horrible.

My number one thing to watch is you tube. The things you can find on there! If you have thought it... you can find a great video on it. And things you have never actually thought of.
Yes indeed! My advice to those seeking good content on Netflix is to embrace looking at subtitles. The best content by leaps and bounds is not being produced in Hollywood. Sadly in Hollywood, representation and political dogma comes first and then once all the boxes are checked, they work on the plot.

My favorite stuff is coming out of Korea these days.

Also agree with your thoughts on YouTube. Narrowcasting vs Broadcasting is the way to go! I prefer to define what I watch instead of the Rainbow Club making those decisions for me.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:26 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
A new Prime benefit that many people may not be aware of is a free 1 year membership to GrubHub+.

https://www.amazon.com/prime/offer/grubhub/prime-deal/

Old 07-21-2022, 12:37 PM

11,407 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I pay for several streaming services and add or drop them from time to time. I got Prime for shipping, and that includes special deals at the Amazon Fresh grocery store two miles away from me. I have been a member of Comixology for several years; there are multiple comic books/graphic novels included for free because I have Amazon Prime.

No one has mentioned "Amazon FreeVee" (used to be Imdb) which is an ad-supported free streaming service from Amazon that does not require a subscription.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned the excellent free-on-demand streaming service https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/, a highly eclectic selection of documentaries from around the world. I have used it for years, as it always provides me with something unusual and interesting to watch, completely divorced from standard American mass-market media fodder.
You can't skip the ads. Ads absolutely kill continuity and enjoyment. It is one of the things I used to love about paying was ad free content you could digest without those stultifying interruptions. Continuity is important to me.

I binged Game of Thrones on DVD and the continuity was invaluable. Things I solved on 24 by bingeing, I could never have solved sitting throught ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts