Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:07 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrick View Post
This is coming up more and more.
I was wanting to view an article on history.com and received the title message.

Their explanatory note was - Due to business and legal constraints, we are no longer able to offer History.com content in certain territories.

So I wrote them a short missive to voice my displeasure.

"I am writing to voice my displeasure at businesses and lawyers restricting what I can view in the public domain.
Banning or denying countries access to a webpage or website is disgraceful.
"Owner Rights" is destroying the free exchange of information and I can see one day where the majority of sites will require subscriptions to view content."

I always write to let companies know of my displeasure
It is entirely possible that History does not have rights to distribute the material you want to see in Australia. Either someone else has the rights, or the owner of the rights doesn't want to negotiate Australian rights.

Web pages are not necessarily in the public domain. And yes, many entities want to make money off of their intellectual property. There is nothing out there that says you have the right to view someone elses IP for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 07:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
we have become pirates.
yo ho ho.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:57 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Such as USA, as well. Example.... PBS (Public Broadcasting Service - public financial support), you can only access broadcasts and programs offered from the station local to your current ISP location. We have homes in 3 regions, and support broadcasts from each, but.... we can only access the specific content from the region we are physically located at the time of viewing. There are many other broadcasts I would prefer to hear from stations I support, but I can only access them via live stream, not from archives.

Maybe a VPN could mask / reposition my region.
As could probably be expected, that restriction doesn't apply to some fundraising drives .

I'm an SF Bay Area native who has lived in the Houston metro for the last 15 years. Greg Sherwood has been one of the faces of KQED (the San Francisco PBS station) for decades. I see him onscreen on the Houston PBS station during fundraising plugs (prerecorded segments I'm sure....segments that aren't market/metro specific).

Old 01-13-2023, 07:35 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The restrictions have unexpected benefits as well. Whenever I don't want the local TV station websites automatically blathering a video when I am trying to skim news stories, I use my VPN to log in from Germany or some other European country with strict laws. Voila! No video. The few ads that make it through are more entertaining as well. "Vud U lik to buy une chocolatae frum Monica?!"

Old 10-26-2023, 09:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrick View Post
This is coming up more and more.
I was wanting to view an article on history.com and received the title message.

Their explanatory note was - Due to business and legal constraints, we are no longer able to offer History.com content in certain territories.

So I wrote them a short missive to voice my displeasure.

"I am writing to voice my displeasure at businesses and lawyers restricting what I can view in the public domain.
Banning or denying countries access to a webpage or website is disgraceful.
"Owner Rights" is destroying the free exchange of information and I can see one day where the majority of sites will require subscriptions to view content."

I always write to let companies know of my displeasure
It is about protecting rights of creators
If platforms won’t pay for content that others created then people on that platform don’t get to watch/read it

Public and private media have different rules —especially after the initial run on public airwaves

Why should you get to read/watch anything you want?
That is not a right you are guaranteed
And criticizing attorneys is certainly not the way to go to remedy the situation

Old 10-26-2023, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I used to get that message when I tried to access the website for CBUT, the CBC station in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. We are just a couple of hours drive away and watch it on our cable system regularly. Now I can get to the website, but if I try to click on any of the content it requires an account. I can sign up for an account but at the end it asks for my postal code, and will not accept a U.S. Zip code.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:44 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
get a VPN
This. I'm surprised the op has never gotten one? You can find free ones on the web, I use the one below.

https://www.hotspotshield.com/vpn/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts