Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 01:15 AM

102 posts, read 96,879 times

Advertisements

This is coming up more and more.
I was wanting to view an article on history.com and received the title message.

Their explanatory note was - Due to business and legal constraints, we are no longer able to offer History.com content in certain territories.

So I wrote them a short missive to voice my displeasure.

"I am writing to voice my displeasure at businesses and lawyers restricting what I can view in the public domain.
Banning or denying countries access to a webpage or website is disgraceful.
"Owner Rights" is destroying the free exchange of information and I can see one day where the majority of sites will require subscriptions to view content."

I always write to let companies know of my displeasure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 03:59 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
What's that all about? I guess if they ban history, people will be doomed to repeat it.

Sounds like you should be writing to your local government instead. Not much History.com can do about ridiculous Australian internet laws.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
What's that all about? I guess if they ban history, people will be doomed to repeat it.

Sounds like you should be writing to your local government instead. Not much History.com can do about ridiculous Australian internet laws.

Not just Australia where this happens. I know it also happens in the UK as well.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrick View Post
Not just Australia where this happens. I know it also happens in the UK as well.
Such as USA, as well. Example.... PBS (Public Broadcasting Service - public financial support), you can only access broadcasts and programs offered from the station local to your current ISP location. We have homes in 3 regions, and support broadcasts from each, but.... we can only access the specific content from the region we are physically located at the time of viewing. There are many other broadcasts I would prefer to hear from stations I support, but I can only access them via live stream, not from archives.

Maybe a VPN could mask / reposition my region.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:28 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretrick View Post
I know you said you were originally trying to read an article, but can you view things on youtube.com?

I've heard people on this forum in other countries say they cannot view any of the videos posted here due to various restrictions.

>>HISTORY.com - youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/HISTORY/videos

full epi's

Old 10-29-2022, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I know you said you were originally trying to read an article, but can you view things on youtube.com?

I've heard people on this forum in other countries say they cannot view any of the videos posted here due to various restrictions.

>>HISTORY.com - youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/HISTORY/videos

full epi's
There are youtube videos that are not available for viewing in Australia.
I come across them periodically.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:11 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
get a VPN

Old 10-30-2022, 07:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
History.com is from the History cable channel. The content on their website is not free, it is paid for with cable subscriptions.

Is that channel part of the cable package you pay for? You likely haven't paid for access, and so that is why you can't view the content.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
History.com is from the History cable channel. The content on their website is not free, it is paid for with cable subscriptions.

Is that channel part of the cable package you pay for? You likely haven't paid for access, and so that is why you can't view the content.
I was not trying to watch it. Only read an article. Some publications do not allow certain "areas" access, for their own reasons.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:15 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post

They're really separate entities. The shows and main page are History Channel which A&E carries. The articles are History published by Maven (now Arena Group). Really what Maven does is capitalize on big names like Sports Illustrated and use them to inject clickbait blogger pieces. Five Terrible Times You Wasted Times Clicking Slideshow, that kind of stuff. Post rebranding they've actually done okay with SI. It's not the SI grew up with, and no I don't care about what they put on the stupid Swimsuit Edition.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-31-2022 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts