Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,906 times

Advertisements

Thing that i dont understand is why immigrants in european countries are less integrated with locals then immigrants in USA.

Why even after 20 years of living in that foreign European country(Germany, France, Sweden ...)immigrants will say for themselves that they are Serbs/Croats/Chinese/Japanese.

On the other hand most immigrants in USA after just few years call themselves americans and they are not related anymore to their country on almost any way(they go back home once in like 10 years)...there is even a term Lanese for Chinese people in LA who pretend that they are better americans then real ones.

Whole thing is totally illogical especially when you consider how developed european countries take care of their citizens and how america doesnt care about their people.

In europe you have free healthcare in USA you dont, in europe you have free universities while in america they are super expensive, in europe highschools are way better than American highschools(cause they are not willing to pay teachers well), crime in europe is way lower than in USA, infrastructure in europe is way better, in europe you have 5 weeks of vacation in america just 2 weeks, in europe you have paid sick leave in america you dont, in europe you have paid maternity leave in america you dont...

So as you can see and probably know ...europe gives everything to its citizens and immigrants dont accept those countries as their own while in USA they get nothing and all of them accept america as their country after just few years there...to me that seems like some version of Stockholm syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 03:54 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros87 View Post

So as you can see and probably know ...europe gives everything to its citizens and immigrants dont accept those countries as their own while in USA they get nothing and all of them accept america as their country after just few years there...to me that seems like some version of Stockholm syndrome
The United States from its very beginning was a country of immigrants from many different cultures.

Europeans have a native population with a single culture.

Europe countries' identities/culture predates the Middle Ages. The United States is a much younger nation.

For example: before it was called Germany, it was called Germania. In the years A.D. 900 – 1806, Germany was part of the Holy Roman Empire. Italy goes back to the Rome Empire - Back to 27 B.C. Greek goes further back to the Ancient Greece at about 1000 BC.

Vs.

The United States began when the first colony was founded at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607. The US became a nation in 1776.

With the exception of the native Americans, all Americans came from another country -the Italian-Americans, French-Americans, Afro-Americans, Hispanics, etc. We are a melting pot of cultures.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:40 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
The US is a country, Europe is not a country....

Old 11-21-2022, 05:52 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Thing that i dont understand is why immigrants in european countries are less integrated with locals then immigrants in USA.

Why even after 20 years of living in that foreign European country(Germany, France, Sweden ...)immigrants will say for themselves that they are Serbs/Croats/Chinese/Japanese.

On the other hand most immigrants in USA after just few years call themselves americans and they are not related anymore to their country on almost any way(they go back home once in like 10 years)...there is even a term Lanese for Chinese people in LA who pretend that they are better americans then real ones.

Whole thing is totally illogical especially when you consider how developed european countries take care of their citizens and how america doesnt care about their people.

In europe you have free healthcare in USA you dont, in europe you have free universities while in america they are super expensive, in europe highschools are way better than American highschools(cause they are not willing to pay teachers well), crime in europe is way lower than in USA, infrastructure in europe is way better, in europe you have 5 weeks of vacation in america just 2 weeks, in europe you have paid sick leave in america you dont, in europe you have paid maternity leave in america you dont...

You may want to do a lot of research about your statements. Europe - it is now one country with one set of rules? Free - what is free where and who pays for it? 5 weeks vacation in Europe versus 2 weeks in the US - really))

Old 11-21-2022, 09:17 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You may want to do a lot of research about your statements. Europe - it is now one country with one set of rules? Free - what is free where and who pays for it? 5 weeks vacation in Europe versus 2 weeks in the US - really))
US vacation isn't dictated by the government but set by the employer. As are many of the benefits you receive from your employer. I was receiving 5 weeks of vacation, plus 12 paid holidays when I retired at 57. So was my wife when she retired at 55. We both had a pension, 401K savings, and continued our company medical plans, which allowed us to have as much (if not more) income in retirement as we did while working. I'm sure that my experience isn't typical, but it isn't an aberration, either.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:50 AM

9 posts, read 14,906 times
When i said europe i meant european countries cause people have equal rights in all of them.

I know that vacation depends from employer to employer but he can easily give you just two weeks according to law in USA but in europe you can't get less than 5.

In america if you are important to your employer he will treat you well, on the other hand if you are not important to him you will be treated like an animal. In europe everyone is treated on the same way(like humans deserve).

In america poor people dont have rights to live in safe areas, they dont have rights to get education, they don't have rights to be healthy...i mean they have rights but they dont have money to have all those most important things in life.

And yeah i forgot to mention that in europe you get child benefit for years and years and you get nothing in america. Just check sport in america, 30 years ago sport was for everyone, now sport is not for real fans, it is just for reach people who can afford those crazy expensive tickets. In europe for example most expensive season ticket for Bayern Munich is less than 1000 dollars...so sport/fun/enjoyment is for everyone not just for rich...and still immigrants appreciate america way more than any other country...crazy

Old 11-22-2022, 07:14 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:

What about the 4th or 5th generation Italian-Americans or Irish-Americans insisting they are Italians or Irish?

Old 11-22-2022, 08:55 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
I know that vacation depends from employer to employer but he can easily give you just two weeks according to law in USA but in europe you can't get less than 5.

In america if you are important to your employer he will treat you well, on the other hand if you are not important to him you will be treated like an animal. In europe everyone is treated on the same way(like humans deserve).

In america poor people dont have rights to live in safe areas, they dont have rights to get education, they don't have rights to be healthy...i mean they have rights but they dont have money to have all those most important things in life.
Well, lots of stereotyping in this post.

In the US people have the right to live where they want - there are no restricted areas. Education is free from 1st to 12th grade. College isn't free to everyone in the EU anyway. The EU does track students which is unheard of in the US. Everyone in the US has the right to be healthy.

When I returned to Rome in 2017, I noticed homeless people. It was unexpected, but not unsurprisingly.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

The key is in the bolded. European countries appear to "give immigrants everything", including some kind of subsidized housing, but that only serves to isolate the immigrants from the general population. And they remain isolated, feeling like outcasts, for years, or decades, even. And in some Euro countries, it's difficult for them to find jobs. In the US generally, they find housing wherever they can among the general population. Some immigrants can find jobs through immigrant social organizations in their city or region; those who are already established help the newcomers. Those who speak English and have professional degrees set about getting qualified to practice their profession and to find a job.

You go too far in stating, that Euro countries accept immigrants as their own. That's not at all what's happening in Scandinavia or Germany. Immigration has touched off a turn to the Right and toward xenophobia in some Euro countries. That doesn't sound like "accepting them as their own", at all.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:02 AM

130,225 posts, read 12,093,129 times
There is no proof of the OP, it is all conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe