Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 01:14 PM

827 posts, read 630,481 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm wondering about doing an online project, everything will be remote. As I don't want to resign from my current job, I'am thinking about taking a sabbatical year and moving somewhere else to do the project. If it failed I would go back to my job.

As I don't know how much money I will make, I would avoid contry like norway. Even if they seems interesting to me, the financial question can put me in trouble.

Without going to personnal, I'am a 37 yeard old french man. I speak french (of course) and can communicate without to much troubles in english.

I don't really have criterias, just some preference, like a cheap cost of life place, not a village but a city where I can meet people easily...

For the moment a place who come to my mind are Varna in Bulgaria.

I'am taking all suggestions, if you have some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 01:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Slovenia or Croatia?

Also, it depends on the nature of your project, and what you're looking for in a community. Cluj, Romania, is affordable, and has a thriving technology sector in which quite a few foreign companies are represented. It has a good university, and is in a very scenic area. You would pick up the language fairly easily, because it's in the same language family as French. The grammar is a bit more complex, though, because Romanian has preserved a certain aspect of Latin grammar that's absent in the other Romance languages, and also has some Turkish characteristics. Still, it would be easier than trying to learn a Slavic language.

Romanians are very sociable. It used to be common for them to learn French in school, but probably English has become more popular in the last generation.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
I was thinking Malta or Portugal. Both have loads of expats. Malta most speak English. Portugal the level
of English competence is quite high as all learn it at school. A considerable number speak French as well, as many worked there and returned . Only other country I can think of is Spain, easy to pick up the language for French speakers. Many speak English. All countries mentioned have a great climate and not eye watering expensive. I would suggest outside of Lisbon though, which has become rather expensive and hard to get lodgings.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Slovenia or Croatia?

Also, it depends on the nature of your project, and what you're looking for in a community.

I don't need to collaborate with people in real life for it. Remote is perfectly fine.

I note this two countries.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I was thinking Malta or Portugal. Both have loads of expats. Malta most speak English.

For Portugal I always heard about retirees who go lives there.
For Malta, the opposit, i wonder if i'am not too old, as most of expatriates would be young people in their twentys?

Old 11-27-2023, 11:29 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Madeira was a trendy location for 'influencers' (i.e. people working entirely remotely 'online') to move for a while. Probably some of the nicest year-round weather you can find on an EU passport.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Madeira was a trendy location for 'influencers' (i.e. people working entirely remotely 'online') to move for a while. Probably some of the nicest year-round weather you can find on an EU passport.

Thanks for the tips.

Just is the information might help to choose me a location. i'am not an influencers at all. I'am independant game developper. For the moment it's an hobby but I wonder about trying my luck in full time.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
For Portugal I always heard about retirees who go lives there.
For Malta, the opposit, i wonder if i'am not too old, as most of expatriates would be young people in their twentys?
While The Algarve region of Portugal is very popular with retirees, Lisbon has become very popular with influencers(I note you are not one) and the like over recent years So much so that it has become expensive and/or difficult to find a rental. I would think places other than Lisbon , perhaps Porto, as an example would be better. But plenty of attractive smaller cities in Portugal.

As for Malta, a range of both demographics. I have checked it out three times, after being suitably impressed the first stay. There are plenty of UK retirees. Not all stay full time , but a large number of Australian Maltese have returned to Malta as well. (third highest foreign born when I was last in Malta. UK born came top) A lot in the gaming industry as well as Russians moving there. Prices noticeably increased between visits.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
As for Malta, a range of both demographics. I have checked it out three times, after being suitably impressed the first stay. There are plenty of UK retirees. Not all stay full time , but a large number of Australian Maltese have returned to Malta as well. (third highest foreign born when I was last in Malta. UK born came top) A lot in the gaming industry as well as Russians moving there. Prices noticeably increased between visits.

I have been a week in malta for holliday and it was indeed a nice place.
I don't remember how is the cost of life?

I have two stupids smalls concerns with malta.
Considering the place, I will have to buy a car and drive there. I'am not a good driver and driving to the left side
Also the weather, I don't know if I would support so high temperature in summer. And the fact there aren't 4 distinct seasons might be weird.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:07 PM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering about doing an online project, everything will be remote. As I don't want to resign from my current job, I'am thinking about taking a sabbatical year and moving somewhere else to do the project. If it failed I would go back to my job.

As I don't know how much money I will make, I would avoid contry like norway. Even if they seems interesting to me, the financial question can put me in trouble.

Without going to personnal, I'am a 37 yeard old french man. I speak french (of course) and can communicate without to much troubles in english.

I don't really have criterias, just some preference, like a cheap cost of life place, not a village but a city where I can meet people easily...

For the moment a place who come to my mind are Varna in Bulgaria.

I'am taking all suggestions, if you have some ideas.
I would consider low cost of living combined with safety and comfortable place to live in your circumstance. I lived in Baku, Azerbaijan for awhile and that was nice but I preferred Tbilisi, Georgia when I visited there. Another really nice spot is Budapest, Hungary. I haven't been to Bucharest or Sofia but I would want to at least check them out as well. You may also want to check out Istanbul, very inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe