Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 06:41 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,924,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Yeah, no one heard of these folks after they won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsVeMz1F5c
There's also the 1988 winner
https://youtu.be/w6b7BHGkKQA?si=pedmx3cVIae3fMjG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 07:32 AM

27,305 posts, read 13,570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lmao are you all like 67 or something?

Eurovision is a lot more successful and relevant now than it used to be. The 2021 winner Maneskin has achieved international success, with their album (mostly in Italian) charting even in the US, and the winning song last year achieved certified gold/platinum/diamond all over Europe, including in the UK. The viewership is also much higher now than it used to be in the 00s, and that's including the loss of Russian and Turkish audiences which used to be amongst the largest participating countries in terms of population and the proliferation of streaming options.

And the Balkan countries have almost all withdrawn from the competition due to financial difficulties. The contest is mostly Western European now, with Sweden, Italy and Ukraine being the most successful. Other than Ukraine's victory two years ago, there's nothing political about the contest (though this year it will be very political again with the whole Israel fiasco).
No I am not old at all, and all I have stated is that I agree with a previous poster in relation to Eurovision becoming increasingly political, so you can tone down the personal attacks.

In reality I have never been a fan of Eurovision, and neither are most people I know, and one of it's largest supporters is the LGBTQ+ community, with a lot of fairly weird acts and even transgender woke winners in the past.

The fact that Ukraine was handed a victory despite not having the best song spoke volumes, as did the fact that Britain then had to pay for it to be hosted in the UK.

If you like the Eurovision that's up to you, however do not launch personal attacks just because you disagree with someone's opinion or someone agreeing with someone else's opinion which is the case here.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:11 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,356,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No I am not old at all, and all I have stated is that I agree with a previous poster in relation to Eurovision becoming increasingly political, so you can tone down the personal attacks.

In reality I have never been a fan of Eurovision, and neither are most people I know, and one of it's largest supporters is the LGBTQ+ community, with a lot of fairly weird acts and even transgender woke winners in the past.

The fact that Ukraine was handed a victory despite not having the best song spoke volumes, as did the fact that Britain then had to pay for it to be hosted in the UK.

If you like the Eurovision that's up to you, however do not launch personal attacks just because you disagree with someone's opinion or someone agreeing with someone else's opinion which is the case here.
Can't repu you.
CD is free for all, so let us appreciate and learn from all willing to share and post.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:26 PM

1,259 posts, read 521,265 times
I didn't realize this was a real thing until the Will Ferell movie came out.

Is there anywhere I can watch this online?

Old 03-18-2024, 01:31 PM

Youtube without commentary
probably peacock with or without commentary

Old 03-18-2024, 03:21 PM

6,834 posts, read 4,289,859 times
Even when I lived in Europe and sometimes watched this, I would have never really considered calling to vote. I mean if you watched, it was mostly to make fun of the silly acts and the for the most part terrible music.

Ever since the early 90s there's been an obvious Western vs Eastern dichotomy in the contest. The Western participants went to openly pandering to the gay community pretty early, definitely by the 00s it was pretty obvious and clearly driven by the fact that the gay community kept support for the event alive when most of the public had lost interest. Meanwhile for the Eastern nations it was clearly a way of showcasing they had 'arrived' and could compete on level footing with the West, so it became a big national ego thing. Funnily enough, this meant most of the music has always been trashy euro dance as gays and Eastern Europeans love that stuff.

I think the format will always be cursed by the fact that it by default encourages lowest common denominator music with fairly basic appeal. It's like even the more sophisticated attempts basically take a current big trend in pop music..then simplify it and 'dumb it down' for the venue. I haven't watched it in years, but I suspect much of it sounds like the stuff you'd hear on any top 40 station today, but clearly a level or two below it in terms of quality.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:52 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,472,985 times
Quote:

Lol, personal attack my ass. I simply disproved your misinformation. Just because you only know bands and singers from 50 years ago when you were a teenager doesn't mean "not many people even watch it anymore".

Old 03-19-2024, 05:33 AM

27,305 posts, read 13,570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol, personal attack my ass. I simply disproved your misinformation. Just because you only know bands and singers from 50 years ago when you were a teenager doesn't mean "not many people even watch it anymore".
What information, all I did was agree with another forum member regarding the increasing political nature of the Eurovision song contest, and I merely stated that many people including myself don't bother watching it, although to be honest it's always been crap and I don't know any bands or singers and I don't remember the singers because I have never watched it and I am not that old.

Here's my original post, which merely agreed with another forum member.

Quote:

I totally agree, the amount of fake pandering and political voting has basically ruined the event.

I don't think many people even watch it any more.
I personally don't watch it and neither do most of my family and friends etc.

However I have no problem with you or your community and friends watching the contest, and my views are just my personal views, and you are perfectly entitled to your views, and I note that you vigorously defend the contest and clearly enjoy it.

As for the Contest it's well known for being political and has a long history of it, and it also has a history of being an LGBTQ+, Transgender and woke fest, and a lot of people have been critical of it in recent years.

Eurovision is even openly known as the Gay World Cup or the Gay Olympics.

"The contest, developed in the 1950s as an opportunity for cheap TV, is now synonymous with camp. How did it come to celebrate queerness?" - New Statesman.

Why Eurovision is beloved by the LGBTQ community - New Ststesman (2023)

How did Eurovision become one of the biggest nights in the LGBT+ calendar? - ITV News (2023)

How Eurovision became an LGBTQ+ safe space - BBC (2023)

She's made her mind up! Cheryl Baker calls Eurovision 'big woke fest' amid Mae Muller row - Daily Express (2023)

LGBT visibility in the Eurovision Song Contest - Wikipedia

This year’s Eurovision was a political statement – whatever the organisers may have wanted - The Guardian (2023)

‘Peck the bait!’ The political messages hidden in Eurovision songs - The Guardian (2024)

Nul points: Eurovision's history of political voting - Sky News (2018)

10 times Eurovision turned political - DW (2022)

8 times Ukraine’s Eurovision ride got political - Politico

Political controversies in the Eurovision Song Contest - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-19-2024 at 06:22 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 08:25 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,823,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
How do people not from Europe become contestants?

Old 03-19-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
How do people not from Europe become contestants?
Either be North African, Turkish, Caucasus, Israeli or Australian. You have to be part of the European Broadcast Area: north of 30N, West of 40E, east of the ITU Region 1/2 boundary (a line between Iceland and Greenland). So that includes all North African countries on the Med, all Levant countries and Iraq, all Anatolian and Caucasus countries, but not Iran.

Australia was invited in 2015 for some reason.

Eurovision doesn't set rule that the artist has to be from the country they represent.
They have set rules for sung languages, but all those have been out since 1999.

In 2021, Florida native Flo Rida represented San Marino. Came in 26th out of 26 in the final...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe