Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 12:32 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Unless you are 100% obsessed with it (and maybe medicated) you'll go nowhere after 30 or so.
That is a foolish and ignorant opinion which has been refuted over and over again by older people who have gone somewhere with training without being obsessed. And thirty is quite young actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 11:53 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Unless you are 100% obsessed with it (and maybe medicated) you'll go nowhere after 30 or so.
Not sure why you would say this. Sounds very negative.
I gained strength and muscle after 30 for all these years and I’m now 66.

Old 04-06-2024, 12:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
At 69 I doubt I would be motivated to keep lifting if I didn't continue to build muscle and gain strength.

Old 04-06-2024, 01:41 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
It seems counterintuitive that you could continue to get stronger into middle and even old age.

I would have thought that the peak years would be similar to what we see in other athletics, namely 25-35 yo.

Are there successful competitive weight lifters well past those ages, beating out younger men and women?

Old 04-06-2024, 06:40 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It seems counterintuitive that you could continue to get stronger into middle and even old age.

I would have thought that the peak years would be similar to what we see in other athletics, namely 25-35 yo.

Are there successful competitive weight lifters well past those ages, beating out younger men and women?
This thread is more about people who have never followed a resistance training program before. In this case (and we should add, with a doctor's approval) they can gain muscle and strength no matter their age.

Or probably, if you've been training improperly, inefficiently, or half-heartedly for many years, you could probably make gains by changing your routines.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:43 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ha, NO!!!. My personal goal is to keep increasing in strength to become as strong as is possible for me. None of this 'maintaining adequate strength.' That may be fine for you, but never for me.

If you choose to dismiss the video without even watching it, that's your choice. But it has good information.
It wasn't exactly a revelation.

Summary: a study of 29 old folks showed that people in their 70's and 80's can add muscle mass through resistance training exercises. Oh, and and he offers longevity training for people who are impressed by his vast knowledge. That was 1/10th of the video.

Here is the study.

https://journals.humankinetics.com/v...rticle-p11.xml

Oh and that picture of him without his shirt is gross lol. Fortunately it's not part of the video

Old 04-07-2024, 12:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This thread is more about people who have never followed a resistance training program before. In this case (and we should add, with a doctor's approval) they can gain muscle and strength no matter their age.

Or probably, if you've been training improperly, inefficiently, or half-heartedly for many years, you could probably make gains by changing your routines.
I don't understand your comment that, "this thread is more about people who have never followed a resistance training program before." I'm one of the posters. I started seriously lifting weights in high school in the early 70s. I actually did some lifting in 6th grade. I lifted in college and belonged to several gyms when I started in working in the late 70s and 80s. Working and children got in the way in the way from around 1986 to 1994. I've been working out consistently again since 1994. A guy at my gym is 72 and says he has been lifting for decades.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:16 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't understand your comment that, "this thread is more about people who have never followed a resistance training program before." I'm one of the posters. I started seriously lifting weights in high school in the early 70s. I actually did some lifting in 6th grade. I lifted in college and belonged to several gyms when I started in working in the late 70s and 80s. Working and children got in the way in the way from around 1986 to 1994. I've been working out consistently again since 1994. A guy at my gym is 72 and says he has been lifting for decades.

Because nothing in that video or the (small) linked study suggests that older people can keep adding more muscle and more and more and more.

It simply shows that older people can, indeed, add muscle mass. If you are already in great shape it doesn't mean you can keep getting stronger and stronger forever. That's wishful thinking.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It wasn't exactly a revelation.

Summary: a study of 29 old folks showed that people in their 70's and 80's can add muscle mass through resistance training exercises. Oh, and and he offers longevity training for people who are impressed by his vast knowledge. That was 1/10th of the video.

Here is the study.

https://journals.humankinetics.com/v...rticle-p11.xml

Oh and that picture of him without his shirt is gross lol. Fortunately it's not part of the video
Well, if you think his physique is gross, that's your opinion.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Because nothing in that video or the (small) linked study suggests that older people can keep adding more muscle and more and more and more.

It simply shows that older people can, indeed, add muscle mass. If you are already in great shape it doesn't mean you can keep getting stronger and stronger forever. That's wishful thinking.
So what are you griping about? Neither the video nor I have suggested infinite strength progression. However, the sport of powerlifting has seniors or masters categories and some pretty impressive numbers exist in the lifts for seniors.

There aren’t official categories for people over 70 and 80 in many competitions since they are usually included in the 60+ category. But here are a couple of impressive lifts in these age groups:

Ash Sinclairs 135 kg bench press world record for the up to 82,5 kg class. That’s about 298 lbs with a bodyweight of about 180. At that weight at the age of 71 that’s pretty incredible.

Phil Poppinos 330 lbs bench press at the age of 80 is even more incredible.

https://elderstrength.com/senior-bench-press-records/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness