Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 5,667 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So, I'm 5'5 147 lb. got a little bit of protruding belly, although not super big (37" waist). got a twiggly arm, when relaxed, it's only 11" girth, never once hit the gym in my life. so, IMO, I'm not in calorie deficit (based on height v weight ratio).
Now, if I want to build muscle, multiple sources say I need to eat 2000-3000 calorie a day. lets say I eat normally 3 meals a day where each meal is a full plate of brown rice and shredded chicken breast sold in grocery store (the content says 20g of protein per serving, total 5 servings, spread into 3 meals, so, total is 100g protein a day). and then I supplement with 25g protein from protein shake. lets throw in 2 eggs per day, with 6g of protein per egg, total 12 g protein a day.
So, the total protein a day is 100 + 12 + 25 = 137 g a day (not sure how much protein in 3 plates of brown rice, if any). Do I still need to eat more if I want to gain muscle?
not sure how much calorie in that hypothetical meal plan just now, but it seems to be very far away from 2000 - 3000 cal a day. Can anyone help make sense of this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 07:19 PM

33,351 posts, read 26,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi View Post
Hi,

So, I'm 5'5 147 lb. got a little bit of protruding belly, although not super big (37" waist). got a twiggly arm, when relaxed, it's only 11" girth, never once hit the gym in my life. so, IMO, I'm not in calorie deficit (based on height v weight ratio).
Now, if I want to build muscle, multiple sources say I need to eat 2000-3000 calorie a day. lets say I eat normally 3 meals a day where each meal is a full plate of brown rice and shredded chicken breast sold in grocery store (the content says 20g of protein per serving, total 5 servings, spread into 3 meals, so, total is 100g protein a day). and then I supplement with 25g protein from protein shake. lets throw in 2 eggs per day, with 6g of protein per egg, total 12 g protein a day.
So, the total protein a day is 100 + 12 + 25 = 137 g a day (not sure how much protein in 3 plates of brown rice, if any). Do I still need to eat more if I want to gain muscle?
not sure how much calorie in that hypothetical meal plan just now, but it seems to be very far away from 2000 - 3000 cal a day. Can anyone help make sense of this?

Thanks
As far as calories go, you simply need to eat more calories than you need to maintain your weight. A couple of hundred calories in excess should be sufficient. If you eat too many excess calories some of it will go to fat instead of muscle.

Regarding protein, opinions vary but I think a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a good rule of thumb though I myself probably only get about 120 grams or so at a bodyweight of around 160 pounds. Experiment for yourself to see what results you get with various amounts of protein. And calories.

Also, you need a bigger variety than just brown rice and chicken breasts. Eat fruit and vegetables, and dairy if you're able to digest it.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
As far as calories go, you simply need to eat more calories than you need to maintain your weight. A couple of hundred calories in excess should be sufficient. If you eat too many excess calories some of it will go to fat instead of muscle.

Regarding protein, opinions vary but I think a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a good rule of thumb though I myself probably only get about 120 grams or so at a bodyweight of around 160 pounds. Experiment for yourself to see what results you get with various amounts of protein. And calories.

Also, you need a bigger variety than just brown rice and chicken breasts. Eat fruit and vegetables, and dairy if you're able to digest it.
ok, so, the food variety, is it actually necessary to build muscle, or is it just in the mind to prevent you from getting bored from eating the same meal over and over again. just curious. does the muscle actually know, aha, you've been eating the same meal over and over again, so, no gain for you, we're on strike until you give us variety.

in my current understanding, so long you got enough proteins and carbs (for fat, the body is free to burn the fat currently stocked in my belly and throughout my body), you should be able to build muscle, or am I wrong?

Old 04-27-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
ok, so, the food variety, is it actually necessary to build muscle, or is it just in the mind to prevent you from getting bored from eating the same meal over and over again. just curious. does the muscle actually know, aha, you've been eating the same meal over and over again, so, no gain for you, we're on strike until you give us variety.

in my current understanding, so long you got enough proteins and carbs (for fat, the body is free to burn the fat currently stocked in my belly and throughout my body), you should be able to build muscle, or am I wrong?
The idea is to stay healthy. Not just to build muscle. And if you are healthy you will be able to build muscle more quickly.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:46 PM

ok, so, variation in food is simply to get diverse nutrients. but what about variation in training technique? lets say for biceps, if you only do preacher curl and no other training, but simply increasing the reps and/or weight, will it hinder bicep growth?

Old 04-27-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
ok, so, variation in food is simply to get diverse nutrients. but what about variation in training technique? lets say for biceps, if you only do preacher curl and no other training, but simply increasing the reps and/or weight, will it hinder bicep growth?
Yes, every once in a while it's good to vary the exercises that you do. The body adapts to doing the same routine and the results diminish. Speaking of biceps, I wouldn't even bother with curls, at least as a beginner. Instead, do bent over rows and pull ups/chin ups for the biceps.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:05 AM

12,607 posts, read 9,726,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The idea is to stay healthy. Not just to build muscle. And if you are healthy you will be able to build muscle more quickly.
This is good advice. You don't need to choose between building muscle and having a healthy, complete diet, you can do both! A big variety of veggies and fruits is important to nutrition - getting lots of fiber and vitamins and other beneficial phytochemicals; and even within protein sources, variety will help you to get a good balance of amino acids and healthy oils...

Old 04-28-2024, 04:25 PM

7,325 posts, read 5,211,066 times
Complex question. Complex answer-- but to simplify, under ideal conditions, you can only add less than 30 gm of muscle per day.....Basic metabolism & normal repair/remodeling requires about 1gm protein Intske per kg of body weight. That would mean for the standard "70kg man" a diet of no more than 100gm protein would be more than enough for max muscle growth.... Because we can make 2/3rds of our amino acids out of glucose, even less protein in the diet would suffice....

...If we don't take in more calories han we expend, then we start using up fat & protein (ie- muscle) stores, so you need to eat more cals than you burn if you want to build muscle...and other posts above about diverse, well balanced diet is advice well taken.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:27 PM

I see, a lot of good information here.
and how about rest? some people say you need to rest for 48 hours before training the same muscle group again, others say 3 days, others say 5 -7 days. which one is the best for recovery?

Old 04-28-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I see, a lot of good information here.
and how about rest? some people say you need to rest for 48 hours before training the same muscle group again, others say 3 days, others say 5 -7 days. which one is the best for recovery?
It varies. Smaller muscle groups recover more quickly than larger muscle groups. It further matters how hard you train the muscle. Age is a factor. An older person generally requires more time to recover than someone younger. Then there is the matter of muscle recovery vs nervous system recovery. While a muscle may have recovered, the nervous system may not have. It's better to error on the side of taking more time to recover than you may actually need than to not allow enough time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness