Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,169,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
To add to what Dan said:
North Dakota is ranked 42, with 1 being the highest local/state taxes as % of income.
Also, since 2000, five states have experienced double-digit drops in their tax burden rankings. New Mexico has dropped 29 places, Idaho 23 places, and Utah 19 places. Georgia and North Dakota have dropped 15 and 10 places, respectively. New jersey has seen the highest increase since 2000, jumping from 24th place to 10th place. Arkansas and Indiana have both risen 10 places. The tax burden includes all taxes. Property, local/state income tax, etc.....
Adding to the electricity rate question, wife and I will be moving to the Bottineau, ND area (Lake Metigoshe) next summer and the rates there are amazing low. 2.5 cents per kilowatt hour if your on a dual-fuel system, a little bit more if your total electric. The power company that services that area has not had an electric rate increase since 1986.
Good luck fromindiatous on your move.
2.5 cents per kilowatt hour; that's unreal! At that price, it would pay to heat your whole house with electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 20,514 times
Thanks a lot StartingOverAgain. That gives quite a good insight

Old 02-20-2008, 11:11 PM

28 posts, read 55,291 times
Do you have any other questions about Fargo?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
2.5 cents per kilowatt hour; that's unreal! At that price, it would pay to heat your whole house with electric.
I think it is cheaper in N Dakota because the coal industry dominates the state. A large number of lignite coal plants= relatively cheap KWH rates.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,169,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I think it is cheaper in N Dakota because the coal industry dominates the state. A large number of lignite coal plants= relatively cheap KWH rates.
Yes, I was aware of that. I know that in my travels through North Dakota there's several coal fired plants not too far from Bismarck.

I'm kind of biased towards coal as a power source. We have so much of it in this country and it makes for cheap electric power. I read somewhere where 52% of the electricity in the US is generated by coal.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 20,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmp6nl View Post
Do you have any other questions about Fargo?
The problem is i have to start from scratch in a new world. I dont even know what questions ask . Our country is whole lot different than yours, I have understood that when I visit your country at times in meetings and conferences. But visiting a country on compnay expense and relocating and living is a total different game altogether. Right now my worries are initial cost to set up the house .. furniture, electricity , phone, car.. all basic things. And yes, most importantly warm clothes... here we dont need any. So I am a bit worried as to what to look and what not to....

I got some amazing insight from you guys heer and really looking forward to be a North Dacotan (hope i have said that correctly)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Yes, I was aware of that. I know that in my travels through North Dakota there's several coal fired plants not too far from Bismarck.

I'm kind of biased towards coal as a power source. We have so much of it in this country and it makes for cheap electric power. I read somewhere where 52% of the electricity in the US is generated by coal.
That is true, but rural counties in the Great Plains would truly benefit if we had more government subsidies in place for wind energy and other renewable technologies. Also, lignite coal is not as clean as other types of coal such as sub-bituminous.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 AM

82 posts, read 258,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
That is true, but rural counties in the Great Plains would truly benefit if we had more government subsidies in place for wind energy and other renewable technologies. Also, lignite coal is not as clean as other types of coal such as sub-bituminous.
Until renewable energy becomes economically viable, we'll be using coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo