Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,182 times

Advertisements

My husband has a possible job opportunity in Fargo that he is very interested in and excited about. We will be coming out for a visit in a few weeks. We have lived in Eugene, Oregon for 30 years and are seriously thinking about this move. I have been reading everything and anything I can find about the Fargo area. We are avid cyclists and have loved bicycling in Oregon's hills and mountains. Any information about Fargo would be appreciated. Are there cycling clubs or groups that ride? Bicycling is my passion - so riding some new roads would be fun. I love riding hills...but I see that Fargo is flat...if you head east can you find rolling hills to ride? Are the mosquitoes that bad in the summer??? I think (not totally sure) I could deal with the cold...Eugene is not as cold but is very wet and rainy - 33 degrees and raining is bone chilling. I am looking forward to a new adventure and meeting new people. Any recommendations about good areas to live in Fargo?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,791 times
Pinkie,
You should definitely move here! It's not that cold and there are hardly any mosquitoes...we just spread those fears to keep people away. We don't want it to get overcrowded like Eugene! (Home of the "Ducks"?)

Come on out! You'll love it! I don't know about cycling, but the x-country skiing is fantastic! And the fishing is great over in Minnesota, maybe an hour away.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,009,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
Pinkie,
You should definitely move here! It's not that cold and there are hardly any mosquitoes...we just spread those fears to keep people away. We don't want it to get overcrowded like Eugene! (Home of the "Ducks"?)

Come on out! You'll love it! I don't know about cycling, but the x-country skiing is fantastic! And the fishing is great over in Minnesota, maybe an hour away.

I do agree that Fargo is a nice place....yes it is flat (southern end of the red river valley)....but you do pick up some rolling terrain as you head east toward Detroit Lakes and Fergus Falls (lake country) and also some west in the Sheyenne River valley (valley city and Fort Ransom State Park areas).

Now...I would be curious to know where this person lives....but mosquitos are a way of life in the valley....much worse in the valley then the rest of ND and they are pretty bad through northern Minnesota as well. Last year was a wonderful exception due to dry weather....Grand Forks and Fargo did not have to spray at all....which is very very rare. If we have normal summer rains and heat mosquitos will be out in full force day and night. And it does get cold in winter....more of a dry cold and usually with a wind. Snowfall varies....but averages 30 to 45 inches in any given year....but the snow year goes from Nov 1 to about April 15. You can count on at least some days with highs below zero each winter....though some you wont and then this year which of late we have had about 5-6 days in February with both highs and lows below zero. Summers are pleasant with hot and humid weather occurring each year for a period from mid July to mid August, but they dont last long unlike farther south.

I dont know much about cycling clubs....I would contact city of Fargo or the Fargo Moorhead chamber of commerce. With NDSU in Fargo and other smaller colleges in Moorhead would bound to be something organized.

The main growth areas are the south side of Fargo and the town of West Fargo....seems to be the trend is the area south of I-94 and west of I-29 right now as that land is only recently under development. But there are no bad areas, just ones with older homes, and that is more typical of north Fargo....though north Fargo has great areas too.

Dan

Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks Dan for the information...Buzzsaw is my husband...teasing me.
When you say the mosquitoes are out in force day and night in the summer does that mean that you can't sit out on your patio or a park or golf? We are looking at home on the golf course and it has a wonderful back patio...

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 AM

85 posts, read 414,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie50 View Post
When you say the mosquitoes are out in force day and night in the summer does that mean that you can't sit out on your patio or a park or golf?
No, you can sit outside. Mosquitoes are not nearly as bad during the day, though they can be found. It's mostly a problem when the sun goes down, or if you're in an area that's wooded or has long grass or standing water. Some days (or years) are worse than others. Bug sprays help. You don't have to stay in your house all summer.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,009,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie50 View Post
Thanks Dan for the information...Buzzsaw is my husband...teasing me.
When you say the mosquitoes are out in force day and night in the summer does that mean that you can't sit out on your patio or a park or golf? We are looking at home on the golf course and it has a wonderful back patio...

Thanks again!
Hi...

Here is a link to fargo golf courses (Osgood is the newest with newer development)...but I am not terribly familiar with the housing market in Fargo/West Fargo itself to give any recommendations on which one is better, etc. Probably need to check with local realtor. Or I know there are folks who post here who live in Fargo who can provide more info.

http://www.fargogolf.net/

Link to Osgood development...
http://www.rhrconstruction.net/osgood.htm (broken link)

As for mosquitos....in most years they are a more nusiance...it really all depends on how wet the late spring/early summer is. Fargo (and Grand Forks) has a very good mosquito control program and I provided a link to the Cass county (Fargo) mosquito control web site to give you some more info.
http://www.metrofightthebite.com/default.htm

Both cities have a trap and each day when the mosquito count is above a certain value ground spraying is done. Only two of the last 7 years required aerial spraying in local Grand Forks area. Problem is if we have more rain than normal in late Spring/early summer, the water can just sit in the fields, ditches due to flat terrain, and provide a breeding ground for the pests.
During the day...my experience is you can enjoy the outdoors, golf, etc (golf is quite popular around here and busy due to the short season) just bring along some repellent. If near tall grasses, etc wear long paints. Also, if there is a wind...much bettere than if it is calm. During the evening, it can be a pain. Better spraying and control in the past few years as led to more enjoyable evenings outside as compared to 10 years ago. So...yes you can enjoy the outdoors.... many people have those outside mosquito control systems in their backyards (you can get at most hardware stores) that let off a smell to distract the pests. Highly worth the investment.

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 02-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: add Osgood link

Old 02-14-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,550 times
Default RE:Possible Move to Fargo from Eugene Oregon

Fargo is a great place to live if you can hack the things people complain about. e.g. mosquitos, cold weather, wind etc. I'm a local and moved here when I was 2 years old. You won't find nicer poeple anywhere in the country, very genuine and kind. It is very common for young people around here to hate it here and want to move far far away, but I think it is also common for those same people to realize later in life that Fargo isn't such a bad place after all. (I am one of these people)

If you are into cycling, then it is a must that you visit Island Park Cycles in Fargo. They are the only 'real' bike shop in town. Great staff, great bikes, great at repairs. And as you can imagine all of the employees are avid cylclist. If you want to join a bicycling club of some sort, talk to them. I used to play mountain bike polo with them several years ago and I know that they organize local rides and various trips to Moab and such.

FYI. People in Fargo are oblivious to pedestrian traffic so pay attention when biking around here. Like I said, great people here but many have no clue what the rules and etiquette of pedestrian traffic are. There are paved bike trails along the river in Fargo and in Moorhead. Not real exciting (flat) and often a favored hangout for those mosquitos, but not too bad.

Minnesota, and North Dakota have some of the best State Parks that I have ever been seen. (ssssshhhh, don't tell anybody) They are quiet, scenic and extremely well maintained. Itasca State Park (MN) is a fantastic place to mountain bike. They acutally have some hills up that way and some single track to enjoy. I especially like biking there in the fall, though I must confess I haven't been there for years.

If you enjoy life at the lakes, then you will find plenty of them East of Fargo. Take HWY 10 East and in about 45 mins you will be in what we call "Lakes Country".

Anyhow, always interested in hearing from people that are considering a move or even just visting this area. Hope eveything works out for you.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:49 AM

Thank you Punkiefriend! I am getting very excited about coming to Fargo and less afraid. I have lived in Oregon for 30 years so this would be a big change for us. All of the information that has been provided is very helpful. I think my husband and I will be visiting in early March and then if all goes well with his second interview - we will make the decision. I am excited to look around the area and visit the bike shop you recommended! How about cross country skiing...is that a popular outdoor acitivity in the winter?
Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 AM

35 posts, read 144,237 times
Hi,
You are coming here at the same time that I did when I moved from CA 2 years ago. It isn't the prettiest time of year so keep that in mind. Spring is very beautiful here though and will begin the end of April.
A lot of people don't even look in this area when they move here but I live in north Fargo and really like it (east of Elm north of 25th ave). The parks department grooms the Edgewood golf course, just blocks from my house, in the winter as a cross country ski course and sledding hill. There is a warming house where you can rent skis and the kids use the sleds for free...and buy hot chocolate. I have used their snow shoes for some exercise too. My husband and son have gone to Andes Tower Hills in Alexandria Minnesota to snow board - just hills - but they had fun. For a really outstanding cross country ski experience check out Maplelag in MN which is very close to Fargo. It has a lot of history and is beautiful.
Downtown Fargo is being developed and is coming along nicely. If you want to get a feel for Fargo go for lunch during the week at the VIP room, get dessert at Nicole's pastry, wander into the Fargo theatre on Broadway, go for coffee at Babb's or Moxie Java and check out the Plains Art Museum downtown as well.
There are adjustments to be made if you move here but it is low stress and for the most part people are pleasant and friendly. If you have the finances to fly you'll not feel isolated like I do at times. I'm used to driving to a variety of places for a break and here you have to drive 4 hours to Minneapolis or fly somewhere.
You'll want to get a boat for the summertime and experience the nearby lakes, bike on the Heartland Trail and Itasca Park. I have fallen in love with lake Superior - its beauty comparable to Big Sur. The boundary waters are magnificent as well.
Good luck !

Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 PM

Thank you for the information about cross-country skiing and downtown. I grew up in Huntington Beach, Calif and spent summers in the Big Sur area! What brought you to Fargo? Lake Superior sounds beautiful and something to explore. The lastest plans have us coming out around the third week in March for a tour. I am very excited to see the area and will keep in mind that spring is right around the corner!
~Pinkie50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo