Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times

Advertisements

How are you No. Dakota folks doing?

Am gonna do a little heartland traveling in August, going through So. Dakota on I-90, and am thinking about Fargo, hopefully I can make room time wise for it. I was a big NY Yankee fan growing up as a kid, and still vividly remember the 1961 season with Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle going after Babe Ruth's home run record. The Roger Maris museum is in the West Acres shopping center. Is it in the mall itself? Who has seen it and can recommend it?

Also where would a good place to get a room for the night? Anymore, I tend to swing towards mom and pop motels owned locally. I've nothing against chains, I just like contributing to a local economy. Any ideas towards restaurants would be appreciated too. What type mom and pop restaurants would you recommend? I'm pretty much open to anything but would love a place that has a good salad bar, good veggies, and lots of fried chicken!

Also, I might be enticed towards buying a little road music (I'm a tunes guy-24/7!). What local stores would you recommend for cd/record shops. And if they carry used/new vinyl so much the better!

OK people, whatcha got? Appreciate your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM

252 posts, read 661,109 times
I live near the mall and have walked by it a lot of times. Its in the JC penny wing (south part of mall) and its a wall of stuff behind glass and a room you can go into to watch a movie about the whole thing. Kinda neat if you're a fan and all. here's a linky to its website: Roger Maris Museum

As for mom and pop type hotels, most of the ones here look like regular ol hotels. I actually did a serious lookup on this before and when I googled, my old post was #1. ouch. One is the Red River Lodge. Its right off of the I29 and has a really nice continental breakfast. Another is in west fargo on main and its called the Sunset Motel. It has an indoor pool and waterslide if you're into that. If you want one of those old 50's L-shaped motels, the only one of those is in a town to the east of moorhead called Dilworth. Motel is called the Star-lite.

Lets say you chose Red River Lodge because its right off of the main drag. You want fried chicken and a salad bar, but that's privately owned, eh? Well, literally, the only place that has all three of those is the North American Steak Buffet off of University. I worked there for 6 months and gained 60 lbs so I avoid the place like the plague, but I know its privately owned by a guy in Bismarck. OH! I ALMOST FORGOT (caps cuz I'm a fool). Its not quite mom and pop, but there is a place called the Pizza Ranch. Its a small chain based out of iowa and it has hella good chicken, pizza, and a salad bar. Those are your best bets. Otherwise you get golden corral, kfc, or the buffet at petro's iron skillet.

Most of the private cd places have shut down too. too easy to burn stuff these days. however, if you venture downtown there is Orange Records. Here is what I copied from a site mentioning them:

"Orange Records is a locally owned, independent record store. The doors opened July 23rd, 2007. We are located on the corner of 1st ave. N and Roberts st.
Phone: 701 478 6240 Hours: 11am - 9pm Closed Sunday
new & used CDs new & used LPs/7"s new & used DVDs (music related) used cassettes Local Music Section"

Hope that's what you were lookin for.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Thank you Maude, that's quite a bit of good info there! I appreciate you taking the time for responding! I know what you mean about the buffets, the Golden Corral is just down the road from me! Any other type restaurants actually would be ok as well. And yes, sadly the small mom and pop cd stores are disappearing, it's kind of ironic that this one opened up in 2007. I've eaten at different Petro iron skillet truck stops, they're ok.

Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Well, if any type of restaurant works, that expands your picks. What kind of food do you crave and how much are you willing to spend, because there are some mom and pop places here that are great (but not of the chicken and salad bar variety).

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM

I like pretty much everything, I guess the reason why I said salad bar and vegetables is that my doctor has been wagging his finger at me with my cholestorol count-again! Oh well. Not a super big spender on dinner but can handle a meal over $10. Italian, Mexican, or Greek would be good.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 PM

well now, it depends where you stay then. If you stay near the interstates, you'll likely be near 13th Ave and/or 45th street. You have a plethora of restaurants then. Three buildings down from the RR Lodge is a local greek/italian place called Santa Lucia. There are three mexican places near there (one highly americanized, two family-owned and more authentic. one got busted for illegals during the winter. I call that one "really authentic").

If you stay in West Fargo, on main there is Speedway. Its a steak-and-tater sort of place and I think its thursdays that they have all-you-can-eat ribs for $9.99 (price may have gone up. its been a couple years). Now that I think of it, they have a small salad bar too. Really good food from a local place that's been around forever. There's also the Bordertown Bar and Grill on main, but I've never been there (ratings online say good things though). If you like breakfast/diner foods, there's a little local place called Jiggs Homestyle Restaurant that's right off of main too.

If you are near university, I push for everyone to have breakfast at the Cajun Cafe. Locally owned and epic breakfasts (crawfish omelet, boudin stuffed pancakes, andouille sausage, hashbrowns and eggs). breakfast is served all day, which is good cuz lunch and supper fare is kinda pricey (but worth the price)

If you check out the record store downtown, nearby is Isabella's (italian). Haven't been there but I've heard good things. There is also Cafe Aladdin (greek) downtown, but I've only tried the one on 32nd Ave.

Finally, if you find yourself staying in moorhead (it happens) there is the Speak Easy. Its Italian-American and follows a 20's mobster theme. Has an old vintage car in the place. Its rather neat. I hear the prime rib is awesome but you have to get there thurs, fri, or sat night to get it.

omg. if you had any idea how much I do this for my friends, you wouldn't even thank me. you'd say I have a problem.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 AM

I appreciate all that info! The Speak easy sounds pretty interesting. Jiggs Homestyle sounds like my type of place as I am a big breakfast person. Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo