Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM

39 posts, read 167,296 times

Advertisements

I agree with moved2SD that professional jobs are hard to come by, especially with decent pay, UNLESS you're in the agriculture sector or work for IT eg Microsoft.

The people are nice, commute times are short, and it's easy to get around. That said, it's small and isolated, with little to do other than drink and go out to eat. There is local theater and symphony but it's a small scene. I'm glad it exists, however, and don't want to demean it. I wish the universities were more involved with the surrounding community. Downtown is good for going out and drinking but I don't drink so downtown is pretty useless to me, except for the wonderful Fargo Theater.

I think it's good if you're here for a job you love and have young children you want to raise in a safe, snoozefest of a town. If you're like me, young and without children, without a decent job, it can really suck. It's not the town for the young professional.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved2SD View Post
I wonder where you are talking about? Are you talking about Fargo, North Dakota??? I have never heard of an opera, symphony, or ballet there! Are you sure you're talking about Fargo, ND??? Of course there are live bands at bars. Fargo is the drinking capital of ND. That's all there is to do there. Yes, there are tons of golf courses. I know the universities have some events, but I would have to disagree with the huge variety. Fargo really needs a community website or something and advertise events more than they do. The media could also advertise events more than they do.

My husband and I could not find employment there (I am an accountant and passed the CPA Exam; my husband is an IT person with a degree and numerous certifications). It does not have high paying jobs unless you are a doctor or a lawyer. It is very hard for a college graduate to find any kind of a good job and with three universities right there the majority of graduates look elsewhere before they look at staying in Fargo. I agree with low crime, manageable commutes, good schools, access to great medical care, and an overall fairly high quality of life. There is employment if you want to work in retail or are ok with a part time job, but if you are looking for something full time with benefits as a college graduate you will not find it here. So as I said before, Fargo is a good retirement community and until they attract more businesses and have some competition there they will stay a retirement community.
Hey, Moved2SD, just wondering but did you ever find an accounting job in Sioux Falls, SD?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM

90 posts, read 220,059 times
Why is everyone talking trash about a city I like?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,413,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved2SD View Post
The Red River is so gross that I personally would not fish it. So you would have to drive to a lake in MN to do fishing and that includes ice fishing. It is flat so no, there is no hiking. Of course you can walk in a park or something, but other than that the answer is no. I am not aware of cross country skiing. Of course people hunt. Minnesota and North Dakota are full of hunters; I am not one. There is the fair for one week during the summer. I'm sure the colleges put on plays during the school year. There is a YMCA at a couple of locations. There is limited community events. I have not seen anyone roller blade for many years, but you could. Of course people bike around. There are no rodeo's that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are craft fairs. The community doesn't really advertise things well. So normally you hear about events after the fact. Fargo is very much a retirement community. If you are a younger person looking for events and things to do, Fargo is not the place to be. I know plenty of people that drive the 4 hours to the Twin Cities in MN for events.
And that's not that far. Fargo would not be a bad place for young people to live if you're a young person with a simplistic nature who does not mind the small-city life the majority of the week or month... but knows that big city stimulation is just a stone's throw away. Seriously, you could leave Fargo at early in the morning on a Saturday (maybe 7 or 8), be in The Cities by noon/1 and be back home by around midnight.

I'm personally that kind of young person. I'm into the simple pleasures. I don't drink (regularly). An afternoon at the book store is a good time for me. But every couple/three/four weeks.... yeah, I like to go have fun in a bigger place.

Anyone living in Fargo who doesn't care for it should feel blessed to even have that option. If there's a good band coming through Minneapolis.. or big mainstream artist like Lady Gaga or something... it's right there. That's nice. You don't even need to get a hotel, because it's not that far.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM

927 posts, read 2,468,041 times
I went to school in Fargo/Moorhead. While it was a good place to go to college, I would never settle down there. All there is to do is drink or talk about drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo