Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times

Advertisements

not only in my opinion......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
two opinions...

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
At this precise moment I agree with bchris, that most of the culture is in Fayetteville. That doesn't mean that's the only town there in which I'd live because my approach would be to minimize my home payment while still having a reasonable commute to work and that would preclude living in Fayetteville proper. It would also preclude parts of the Bentonville and some bits of Rogers. I personally wouldn't live in either Rogers or Springdale. Now...here in the next 5-10 years, I think Fayetteville is going to slip in the rankings of NWA culture, particularly once Crystal Bridges gets completed.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Okay, first of all, I love Fayetteville. But culture isn't just bands and art shows, it's the expression of a community, of a group of people who share common bonds. The crafts fairs, the community theater, the barbershop quartets are all culture. Appreciating these expressions of culture is every bit as important as being exposed to ballet or the opera or impressionist painters or book readings. Secondly, this continuous characterization of Benton County as McMansions and chain restaurants ignores the history and individual personality of the various communities. Get away from 540 and from Pinnacle. Find the restaurants that are not national chains, see the historic homes and new homes being built outside the gated communities. They exist, Rogers and Bentonville didn't just spring up from the dust during the last decade. Wal-Mart is headquartered in Bentonville, Bentonville existed well before Sam opened his first store. Crystal Bridges will add new dimension, and the aquarium that is still planned, and the other developments. But there is already history there, and artists and writers, and women who just sew quilts and men who shape wood and metal into sculpture just as a hobby. There are storytellers and musicians, and trails into the woods where all you hear are birds singing (and me trying to round up my dog) and the sound of your own thoughts. Culture is all around us, it doesn't have to be imported from big cities or from Europe or Hollywood. Great food comes from barbecue pits as well as from 4-star restaurants. Sometimes the best music is old gospel songs sung in church, or the lullabies we learned from our mothers.

DC at the Ridge

Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Okay, first of all, I love Fayetteville. But culture isn't just bands and art shows, it's the expression of a community, of a group of people who share common bonds. The crafts fairs, the community theater, the barbershop quartets are all culture. Appreciating these expressions of culture is every bit as important as being exposed to ballet or the opera or impressionist painters or book readings. Secondly, this continuous characterization of Benton County as McMansions and chain restaurants ignores the history and individual personality of the various communities. Get away from 540 and from Pinnacle. Find the restaurants that are not national chains, see the historic homes and new homes being built outside the gated communities. They exist, Rogers and Bentonville didn't just spring up from the dust during the last decade. Wal-Mart is headquartered in Bentonville, Bentonville existed well before Sam opened his first store. Crystal Bridges will add new dimension, and the aquarium that is still planned, and the other developments. But there is already history there, and artists and writers, and women who just sew quilts and men who shape wood and metal into sculpture just as a hobby. There are storytellers and musicians, and trails into the woods where all you hear are birds singing (and me trying to round up my dog) and the sound of your own thoughts. Culture is all around us, it doesn't have to be imported from big cities or from Europe or Hollywood. Great food comes from barbecue pits as well as from 4-star restaurants. Sometimes the best music is old gospel songs sung in church, or the lullabies we learned from our mothers.

DC at the Ridge
Excellent points...thanks for that!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 679,389 times
Just remember ... keep Fayetteville funky.

Without specifics as to why you want to move to NWA, I might just suggest McDonald county in southern Missouri. Cheaper housing and land, less taxes than NWA, lower cost of living, still accessible to the rest of the world, etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
As said before, i'm giving another vote for Fayetteville. I grew up in Fayetteville, and if i ever move back to Arkansas its the only town i will consider. I've spent plenty of time around NWA, and none of the other towns interest me. There are parts of Springdale i wouldn't mind, but if I had the choice(which i dont see why I wouldn't lol) Fayetteville would be it.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM

32 posts, read 130,534 times
One is either a "Fayetteville" person or not. If you love Austin, TX, you'll love Fayetteville, AR.

The good part about living in Benton Co. is that we can go to Fayetteville if need be, then we get to come home to the suburban life that we happen to really like.

To each his own - it is all subjective any way you cut it.

--jcd

Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
Ok....let me say that I do not hate Benton county....I think Rogers/Bentonville/Lowell are all nice places to live and raise a family. They have beautiful parts, gorgeous neighborhoods nice amenities etc etc. But heres the point I woul like to emphasize....If someone would say "I'm coming to NWA what should I check out?" I'd whole-heartedly direct them to Fayetteville. Why you ask? because I want NWA to Stand out.....What makes us different, what makes our culture/history?? Come on...how many towns in the US look like Bentonville /Rogers? ...... Then ask youself how many Dickson Streets have u seen? How many Mt. Sequoyah's Have you seen? How many charming mountain town squares have you seen? How many Old Main's have you seen? Embrace what makes us different not what makes us like everyone else....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
Ok....let me say that I do not hate Benton county....I think Rogers/Bentonville/Lowell are all nice places to live and raise a family. They have beautiful parts, gorgeous neighborhoods nice amenities etc etc. But heres the point I woul like to emphasize....If someone would say "I'm coming to NWA what should I check out?" I'd whole-heartedly direct them to Fayetteville. Why you ask? because I want NWA to Stand out.....What makes us different, what makes our culture/history?? Come on...how many towns in the US look like Bentonville /Rogers? ...... Then ask youself how many Dickson Streets have u seen? How many Mt. Sequoyah's Have you seen? How many charming mountain town squares have you seen? How many Old Main's have you seen? Embrace what makes us different not what makes us like everyone else....
Couldn't agree with you more, wonderfully put. Like you, i have nothing against Benton county, but it truly does look like anywhere else in the country, nothing to make the area stand out, just nothing unique and special. Fayetteville has lots of charm and is unlike anywhere else i have been. Even now that i'm surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery in the country here in Seattle, the cascades, the olympics, mt rainier, puget sound, etc etc Mt Sequoyah is still one of my favorite places on Earth, it is soooo beautiful. If i ever move back i hope to have a house on Mt Sequoyah, beautiful houses up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers