Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

151 posts, read 106,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As an Arkansas native who’s lived in various parts of the state, I don’t believe leaving those areas out of the stats would bump Arkansas up into Vermont territory in the rankings.
I couldn't care less about resembling...VERMONT

Probably those in Tennessee couldn't care less either about....VERMONT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 AM

Why are STATE crime statistics worthless?

One part of a state you have the following cities with LOW crime index stats..

Bella Vista...119
Bentonville..122
Springdale...339
Fayetteville..372

Elsewhere you have the three I mentioned..

Blytheville....815
Little Rock 790

Pine Bluff...786

Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As an Arkansas native who’s lived in various parts of the state, I don’t believe leaving those areas out of the stats would bump Arkansas up into Vermont territory in the rankings.
Oh come on, of course it would. I have lived all over the country, both coasts, middle part of the USA and S.W. I have never lived anywhere that felt any safer. It is like judging our educational system: take out some of the small districts that do not have great schools or are suffering from lack of desire for an education and the entire state would jump up. There are some outstanding schools in the state as well as regions that are as safe as anywhere in the country.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Arkansas is #2 or #3 in guns owned per capita, depending on which report you read.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...s-by-state/50/
How do they arrive at these statistics? Most states don't require bg checks for private gun sales, and people who move to new states aren't required to report guns being brought in. How could they possibly know the % of each population that owns guns?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I think just about 8 out of 10 people I've met have guns to some degree so far. Many people have a gun in their cars but it's not super obvious and in NWA, haven't seen anyone open carry unless they are law enforcement.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on, of course it would. I have lived all over the country, both coasts, middle part of the USA and S.W. I have never lived anywhere that felt any safer. It is like judging our educational system: take out some of the small districts that do not have great schools or are suffering from lack of desire for an education and the entire state would jump up. There are some outstanding schools in the state as well as regions that are as safe as anywhere in the country.
It might move up towards the middle, but not enough to be among the states that consistently rank the safest. Even as a whole, Arkansas is just not that kind of place. However, it’s not the worst place on the planet and not the most dangerous, just kind of mediocre.
The gun culture has little to do with it one way or the other in my opinion, and Arkansas does have a pretty strong gun culture.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Where I live, I believe the "gun culture" keeps crime down .

Usually the only home burglaries are on houses nobody lives in or are gone for long periods.

Any occupied house, the burglar might as well assume the homeowner owns a gun and will use it for protection.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:53 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Where I live, I believe the "gun culture" keeps crime down .

Usually the only home burglaries are on houses nobody lives in or are gone for long periods.

Any occupied house, the burglar might as well assume the homeowner owns a gun and will use it for protection.

Have to agree with this. I live in a very rural area where I would guess 95% of households have guns and you never hear about home burglaries, or any violent crimes for that matter. It's a very rare thing. Someone would have to have a death wish to attempt it here. I don't think there's been a murder here in decades, there is just no violent crime.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AR is very gun friendly as well as having a pretty low crime rate. Whether people carry guns or not, gun violence still happens. So far, I am glad we live in AR. Just look at Chicago as an example. Don't they have some pretty strong gun laws? I certainly do not think one has much to do with the other.
Just look at Chicago and it has strong guns laws. You know NYC, Minneapolis, S.F. L.A. Boston, have strong gun laws. Somehow those large cities never come up as being effective in reducing violent crime. BTW, check Chicago's murder rate the last five years vs. 25 -30 years ago. There are fewer murders per capita as a nation now than 25 years ago.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:16 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

Surprising that some very large metro areas have lower murder rates than some much smaller cities - NY, L.A. Boston, Minneapolis, and San Antonio to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers