Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times

Advertisements

^^ I agree with this, so many of the most recent shooters have been young men (pretty much boys in my view).

More people with guns in public places will not make society safer, if anything it makes it more dangerous. Imagine a bar full of young hot headed men legally carrying weapons, once one draws his gun everyone is going to do the same. All it takes is a little insult or a little road rage to turn a legally carrying gun owner into a criminal just because she lost her cool.

But I do agree having one does give you a fighting chance if something were to go down in a public place. Also, guns have always been great at protecting ones property. But lets not kid ourselves, everyone walking around openly with legal guns does not make society safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 91,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AugusRN enjoy your time here in NW AR. hope you love it as much as some of us do, even those of us from Ca. BTW we lived in Sac many years ago; I think my favorite place in Ca or one of them.

AS for the OP, she/he seems to be trying to decide between moving here or to Johnson City. AT least that is what they claim. They do ask a lot of questions and it is hard to figure out just what they are really intending on doing.

Again, thank you both for replying to my post, and I appreciate that. It appears to me that my asking questions on this forum has caused unnecessary doubt and suspicion regarding the so-called "motives" or "intentions." I appreciate your attention. What I want to say is that I'm sorry but you are wrong to make things complicated and cause drama. I understand nmnita and several others from big cities in California, and it's natural to have a tendency to cast doubt and mistrust people, even on the Internet. However, I hope NWA is truly an accepting and welcoming place as you guys have claimed it to be, because I don't think newcomers would feel welcomed or accepted if everyone has to undergo scrutiny as I am receiving from nmnita and others. Even if I don't feel I have received the deserved respect and trust from you two, I hope in reality you are not treating your new neighbors and new residents with the similar suspicious and paranoid, because it is not the spirit of NWA as you have claimed. The fact that you claim to be accepting and tolerating of others on one hand, while casting doubt on people's character on the other hand, has spoken loud for itself. I hope you are treating your neighbors well, at least not the same way as you treat new people on this website. Please take care.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Mass murders go so much deeper than who can and can not own a gun. We need to try and stop the mental decline of so many when they are young. The failing of the family unit has something to do with why so many people especially young people are growing up so unstable. The lack of discipline is another issue and the blaming everyone else for our short comings adds to the lack of emotional stability. Of course that is the only problems and there will always be people who are unstable, but some of the issues can be minimized by better upbringing.

100% agree

Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlee View Post
Again, thank you both for replying to my post, and I appreciate that. It appears to me that my asking questions on this forum has caused unnecessary doubt and suspicion regarding the so-called "motives" or "intentions." I appreciate your attention. What I want to say is that I'm sorry but you are wrong to make things complicated and cause drama. I understand nmnita and several others from big cities in California, and it's natural to have a tendency to cast doubt and mistrust people, even on the Internet. However, I hope NWA is truly an accepting and welcoming place as you guys have claimed it to be, because I don't think newcomers would feel welcomed or accepted if everyone has to undergo scrutiny as I am receiving from nmnita and others. Even if I don't feel I have received the deserved respect and trust from you two, I hope in reality you are not treating your new neighbors and new residents with the similar suspicious and paranoid, because it is not the spirit of NWA as you have claimed. The fact that you claim to be accepting and tolerating of others on one hand, while casting doubt on people's character on the other hand, has spoken loud for itself. I hope you are treating your neighbors well, at least not the same way as you treat new people on this website. Please take care.
Wow. You are really overthinking and overanalyzing things.

You are in here asking about "the gun culture" so who is being paranoid? Who is undergoing scrutiny? Respect and trust goes both ways.
Yes there is a gun culture, No you want be in fear for your life if your neighbor happens to own a gun and likely won't even know which neighbors own a gun as you will never see it.

This is getting so many responses because it's a politically charged issue right now, not all the responses are directed to you even, it's taken a life of it's own which is just the nature of an internet forum. They probably forgot about your question by the second page. People come in here from different forums. But don't worry about the gun culture or politics, don't create your own drama...no one cares. Worry about the crime rate (which is not related to "the gun culture"), worry about schools, worry about the cost of living, worry about traffic and jobs, worry about stuff that matters.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:50 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Hi all! Based on what is happening these days about gun violence, I was wondering if the gun culture is popular in the NWA area? Do many people and families own a gun? Have you heard of any gun violence happening in NWA and its surrounding areas? Thanks!
The only gun violence I've heard about in the nearly 3 years since I moved to NWA happened just a few weeks ago. It was a very unfortunate murder suicide where a father murdered his wife and two adult sons at their home, then killed himself. It happened in a small town called Gravette, and it was a really big deal on the news and my neighbors were all talking about it. This sort of domestic violence where a person turns into Jack Nicholson from The Shining can happen anwhere, and this sort of story was pretty common in the Denver news but here it was a total shock - which tells you how rare such an event is.

As far as a gun culture here, guns seemed far more popular in Texas and Colorado, the last 2 states I lived. There just aren't as many gun ranges, gun stores or gun shows as I'm used to seeing. I don't believe any of the stats posted about each state as I don't see how they could have accurate data to work with. I doubt this area is any more than average for gun ownership or usage.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:08 PM

827 posts, read 659,345 times
Quote:
Hi all! Based on what is happening these days about gun violence, I was wondering if the gun culture is popular in the NWA area? Do many people and families own a gun? Have you heard of any gun violence happening in NWA and its surrounding areas? Thanks!
No nobody in Arkansas owns a gun.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
I couldn't care less about resembling...VERMONT

Probably those in Tennessee couldn't care less either about....VERMONT
You wouldn't take Vermont's gun laws?

Vermont ranks #2 in the country for gun freedom. (The gun control category measures the direct costs of gun laws to gun owners and dealers)

Arkansas ranks a pathetic, nanny-state #36.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 PM

47 posts, read 91,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wow. You are really overthinking and overanalyzing things.

You are in here asking about "the gun culture" so who is being paranoid? Who is undergoing scrutiny? Respect and trust goes both ways.
Yes there is a gun culture, No you want be in fear for your life if your neighbor happens to own a gun and likely won't even know which neighbors own a gun as you will never see it.

This is getting so many responses because it's a politically charged issue right now, not all the responses are directed to you even, it's taken a life of it's own which is just the nature of an internet forum. They probably forgot about your question by the second page. People come in here from different forums. But don't worry about the gun culture or politics, don't create your own drama...no one cares. Worry about the crime rate (which is not related to "the gun culture"), worry about schools, worry about the cost of living, worry about traffic and jobs, worry about stuff that matters.
I'm sorry but I am NOT being paranoid nor putting others under scrutiny, because I do not falsely accuse others as having ulterior motives for asking questions. If someone feels uncomfortable answering a question, please simply ignore and move on to the next thread WITHOUT assasinating another person's character only because you don't like the question.

I do worry about the cost of living and etc, but gun culture happens to be another factor I care about. Everyone cares about different things, so if you don't care about something, please don't assume others should be the same. You have a right not to care does not mean other people should abandon their right to care.

Lastly, I agree that respect and trust goes both ways. So please stop depicting others as someone with ulterior motives, because it's a double sword and it only shows that person's own sense of insecurity and difficulty trusting people. May age and seniority give everyone the true wisdom instead of hypocrisy.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I am NOT being paranoid nor putting others under scrutiny, because I do not falsely accuse others as having ulterior motives for asking questions. If someone feels uncomfortable answering a question, please simply ignore and move on to the next thread WITHOUT assasinating another person's character only because you don't like the question.

I do worry about the cost of living and etc, but gun culture happens to be another factor I care about. Everyone cares about different things, so if you don't care about something, please don't assume others should be the same. You have a right not to care does not mean other people should abandon their right to care.

Lastly, I agree that respect and trust goes both ways. So please stop depicting others as someone with ulterior motives, because it's a double sword and it only shows that person's own sense of insecurity and difficulty trusting people. May age and seniority give everyone the true wisdom instead of hypocrisy.
Well then, you got your answer about gun culture. You missed my sentence in the third paragraph that indicated "no one cares" however. News flash - it's not all about you. No further drama needed.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
Quote:
NWA is a very low crime area.
Both the police, and citizenry here, by and large, are proponents of an armed citizenry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers