Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 31,307 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are considering a move to NW Arkansas in a few months. We will be listing our home for sale in California tomorrow. We can't take the wildfires anymore, and apart from that, the job opportunities are practically nil. I work from home, and I will be completing my social work degree this semester. We are both in our 50's and would like to live in an area that is quiet country, but close to things too. Our budget for buying a home is $250,000, and we are pre-qualified with a lender in Bentonville. I will meet our realtor this coming Saturday and tour different areas.

My main questions are: What is the area like around Douglas Lane and Scenic Drive on the outskirts of Rogers? Through street views and photos, Douglas lane looks clean and tidy, but there are many more mobile homes and only a few conventional homes. Is the area pleasant and quiet, or is that an area to avoid?

My next question is about Bella Vista. It looks charming, and there is a lot of choice in homes within our price range. The POA has freaked my husband out, but for anyone who lives there, is this a difficult situation to live with, or are they more relaxed?

My last question: If you could live in any part of Benton or Washington counties, where would you live and why? We treasure our privacy and do not want to live too close to neighbors, so we would like a subdivision that has a more significant separation. We have nine kitties who enjoy our backyard with cat fencing around the perimeter. None of our kitties can get out, and it keeps other animals from coming in. We want to have the same situation in Arkansas. Does anyone think this would be a problem in Bella Vista or another subdivision? It doesn't look ugly or even show at all, but we will need this. Also, we may want to have either a mobile home or another sort of in-law unit for when my family stays with us.

All recommendations and ideas (good, bad, and ugly) are very much appreciated!!

Thank you!! Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times
I can't answer the questions specifically about the location. How important is it to be close to town? Do you want to have privacy and still be within 5 minutes of a grocery store? Does your husband need to commute to work?

If I were retired and wanted privacy, I would move out to beaver lake in east Rogers or near Garfield. All of the cities have parts that are more scenic and parts that are more urban. Fayetteville and Bella Vista are the most scenic in the main metro area. Rogers and Springdale are all very pretty as you get on the eastern outskirts of town near the lake. Goshen is a really pretty part of NWA. Bentonville has some nice areas up north that border Bella Vista. Parts of Centerton are still very private but not as pretty.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I can't answer the questions specifically about the location. How important is it to be close to town? Do you want to have privacy and still be within 5 minutes of a grocery store? Does your husband need to commute to work?

If I were retired and wanted privacy, I would move out to beaver lake in east Rogers or near Garfield. All of the cities have parts that are more scenic and parts that are more urban. Fayetteville and Bella Vista are the most scenic in the main metro area. Rogers and Springdale are all very pretty as you get on the eastern outskirts of town near the lake. Goshen is a really pretty part of NWA. Bentonville has some nice areas up north that border Bella Vista. Parts of Centerton are still very private but not as pretty.
Depending on what size home OP wants, Beaver lake may be out of their price range. Our granddaughter and her husband just purchased a 2 bedroom cabin as get away on the lake earlier this year. It was a fixer upper and still was in the ball park or what the OPs is looking for. They paid less than $200,000 but have put 1,000s into fixing it up.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxwell View Post
Hello, My husband and I are considering a move to NW Arkansas in a few months. We will be listing our home for sale in California tomorrow. We can't take the wildfires anymore, and apart from that, the job opportunities are practically nil. I work from home, and I will be completing my social work degree this semester. We are both in our 50's and would like to live in an area that is quiet country, but close to things too. Our budget for buying a home is $250,000, and we are pre-qualified with a lender in Bentonville. I will meet our realtor this coming Saturday and tour different areas.

My main questions are: What is the area like around Douglas Lane and Scenic Drive on the outskirts of Rogers? Through street views and photos, Douglas lane looks clean and tidy, but there are many more mobile homes and only a few conventional homes. Is the area pleasant and quiet, or is that an area to avoid?

My next question is about Bella Vista. It looks charming, and there is a lot of choice in homes within our price range. The POA has freaked my husband out, but for anyone who lives there, is this a difficult situation to live with, or are they more relaxed?

My last question: If you could live in any part of Benton or Washington counties, where would you live and why? We treasure our privacy and do not want to live too close to neighbors, so we would like a subdivision that has a more significant separation. We have nine kitties who enjoy our backyard with cat fencing around the perimeter. None of our kitties can get out, and it keeps other animals from coming in. We want to have the same situation in Arkansas. Does anyone think this would be a problem in Bella Vista or another subdivision? It doesn't look ugly or even show at all, but we will need this. Also, we may want to have either a mobile home or another sort of in-law unit for when my family stays with us.

All recommendations and ideas (good, bad, and ugly) are very much appreciated!!

Thank you!! Jennifer
Jennifer<

I am sure you will not have time to check out all the wonderful communities in NWA but here are a few places you may want to consider: I am not sure you will find much in Rogers or Bentonville that will give you the privacy you like, but both are nice areas.

Pea Ridge is a possibility for you. For some reason it is just one of my favorite rural ares around here that still has a lot of shopping, etc close by. Do give it a thought as well as research West Fork.

You mention BV. Well, I am probably the most loyal person in the world when it comes to our wonderful city. Don't let the POA thing bother your husband. It is more talk than action. You will have to check into the housing an RV on your property but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems and like, Pea Ridge only larger you have a nice mixture of rural/urban living. No, the cat situation wouldn't be an issue. I don't think I would run to city hall and announce the cat situation to the world, but certainly it isn't going to be an issue especially if you buy in one of our neighborhoods that are not heavily build up, which is much of the city.

I would gladly answer any questions you may have so let me know if you want anymore info about BV or other areas in the region. BTW, I was born and raised in Ca We still have a few relatives left but most have moved away.

Nita

Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
If this is the house she's considering (Scenic, Douglas 250K), she's pretty much already in Pea Ridge. This area is just east of the golf course in Pea Ridge. I don't think there is any zoning out there, which is why there are mobile homes mixed in with nice homes mixed in with more modest homes, so the cat fencing and a place for extra guests shouldn't be a problem. I will say that in case of an ice storm, the roads out there are pretty treacherous. A good 4WD vehicle should be able to handle it. The county road crews salt and treat Hwy 94 diligently, and Scenic will get some treatment, but it is hilly and curvy, so should be driven with care in inclement weather. It is a beautiful area.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...70679982_zpid/

Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If this is the house she's considering (Scenic, Douglas 250K), she's pretty much already in Pea Ridge. This area is just east of the golf course in Pea Ridge. I don't think there is any zoning out there, which is why there are mobile homes mixed in with nice homes mixed in with more modest homes, so the cat fencing and a place for extra guests shouldn't be a problem. I will say that in case of an ice storm, the roads out there are pretty treacherous. A good 4WD vehicle should be able to handle it. The county road crews salt and treat Hwy 94 diligently, and Scenic will get some treatment, but it is hilly and curvy, so should be driven with care in inclement weather. It is a beautiful area.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...70679982_zpid/
I think I would have some concerns about living in a location with a lot of mobile homes and absolutely no restrictions. I just hope her realtor knows the entire region well and is willing to show her property all over the region and not just say, Bentonville and Rogers. Of course also not showing any favortism to one area over another. so many are a bit short sighted. I was a realtor in CA and VA for 12 years. I know how some are only familiar with the area they live in or where there office is located.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think I would have some concerns about living in a location with a lot of mobile homes and absolutely no restrictions. I just hope her realtor knows the entire region well and is willing to show her property all over the region and not just say, Bentonville and Rogers. Of course also not showing any favortism to one area over another. so many are a bit short sighted. I was a realtor in CA and VA for 12 years. I know how some are only familiar with the area they live in or where there office is located.
Pea Ridge itself has few restrictions, but I get the feeling that the OP doesn't want cookie cutter subdivisions, and wants scenic views, so they are looking on the outskirts of the area. The towns have been growing, and incorporating areas that were once outside of the towns and therefore didn't have zoning twenty years ago, and some still have very little zoning. That's why there are mobile homes on hillsides all over Benton County especially when you get on dirt roads. I think this house is a good value, and as for the mobile homes, I think that as time goes by, they will be replaced by permanent homes. The land those mobile homes sit on has been increasing in value. On the west side of the golf course up the hill is where the country club homes are, all very nice. And there has been development on the east side of some very nice housing, especially since the access to that area has been improved. One thing I would recommend to the OP is to have their realtor check on internet access. It's probably wired by Cox, but the lines might not be underground, and the connections might be slow. Most people who work at home rely on the internet, so I would want my realtor to check that out.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Thank you so much for the insight!! You guessed correctly about the home! I am flying out on a red-eye flight to look at that house and any others my realtor can find. Thank you for the information about the road situation. We think the location is perfect for our needs. My husband works from home as well and has verified that Cox Communications has the internet capacity that we need. NMNITA, I have followed your answers to others' questions for a long time here, and I appreciate your insight and knowledge about the POA in Bella Vista. Pea Ridge is charming, and so is Bella Vista. There is so much choice out there!! As you mentioned, DC at the Ridge, the area is growing so much, and I'm sure there will be changes along the way. My husband is speaking with the zoning commissioner of Rogers as I type because he wants to understand what plans are in the works. This move will be our last one, and I know it will be a good one!! NW Arkansas has been on our list for two years now, and I'm very excited to come out and explore, even a tiny bit, finally. NMNITA, California isn't what it once was, and the wildfires from 2018 have destroyed my lungs. We live in the Carr and Camp fire area, and 4 and 1/2 months of hazardous air caused many people to leave, including us now. If anyone can think of other areas to investigate, please let me know. I plan on driving out all day on Saturday and Sunday. I will keep Garfield, Goshen, and West Fork on the list to explore as well! Thank you all so much and I will keep asking questions and updating you on my whirlwind journey!! Jennifer

Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxwell View Post
Thank you so much for the insight!! You guessed correctly about the home! I am flying out on a red-eye flight to look at that house and any others my realtor can find. Thank you for the information about the road situation. We think the location is perfect for our needs. My husband works from home as well and has verified that Cox Communications has the internet capacity that we need. NMNITA, I have followed your answers to others' questions for a long time here, and I appreciate your insight and knowledge about the POA in Bella Vista. Pea Ridge is charming, and so is Bella Vista. There is so much choice out there!! As you mentioned, DC at the Ridge, the area is growing so much, and I'm sure there will be changes along the way. My husband is speaking with the zoning commissioner of Rogers as I type because he wants to understand what plans are in the works. This move will be our last one, and I know it will be a good one!! NW Arkansas has been on our list for two years now, and I'm very excited to come out and explore, even a tiny bit, finally. NMNITA, California isn't what it once was, and the wildfires from 2018 have destroyed my lungs. We live in the Carr and Camp fire area, and 4 and 1/2 months of hazardous air caused many people to leave, including us now. If anyone can think of other areas to investigate, please let me know. I plan on driving out all day on Saturday and Sunday. I will keep Garfield, Goshen, and West Fork on the list to explore as well! Thank you all so much and I will keep asking questions and updating you on my whirlwind journey!! Jennifer
just an fyI pea ridge is still so small and rural it would be yeas before it becomes a typical subdivision/ There are a few house developments but most of the area is very rural..

I know Ca isn't what it once was and the fires have done so much damage. My parents old homes in Paradise are long gone.

Please keep us up to date on your visit and safe travel.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Thank you, nmnita!! I am leaving tomorrow and I am really excited at the prospect of moving out of CA. I do love this area and the mountains, but it is nothing like it was and I'm ready to leave. I'm so sorry that your family lost their home in Paradise. I loved that town, but last year it was awful. I will update you all when I get home!! Thank you again for all the information!! Jennifer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers