Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 05:01 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

East Venice has been getting no significant rainfall from any of the recent activity. We must be just beyond the line where the pop ups form..on the dry side. We hear thunder, and see lightning at times, but no rain.

We've had 4 rainfall's all year.

I had a live fish & a live 6 foot long alligator in my yard this week. This drought is impacting wildlife near me. They must have thought that I had a pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 06:18 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
we've had a downpour every night for the past 3 days....

beach, I got you beat.....we have a ~10-12 ft croc under our dock.....her names Croc...she's a sorta neighborhood pet

Old 05-26-2023, 08:28 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
We've had a fair amount of rain for the last three days- not downpours, but enough to make the grass and plants look a bit happier and leave some puddles around the next day. More expected today. Though I'm hearing reports on the ham radio that some areas in Charlotte County have not gotten much rain, other areas have had thunderstorms.

No critters around that we don't usually see. Beach4, would that have been a walking catfish you saw in your yard? Don't think I've ever seen one up close and personal ( don't want to) . We occasional get "gifted" with a fish in the yard when a hawk flying overhead with a fish he just caught drops it- often when fighting with another bird in flight who also wants that fish.

I saw a fish one time on the side of the road on US 17. Probably dropped there by a hawk.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:32 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We've had a fair amount of rain for the last three days- not downpours, but enough to make the grass and plants look a bit happier and leave some puddles around the next day. More expected today. Though I'm hearing reports on the ham radio that some areas in Charlotte County have not gotten much rain, other areas have had thunderstorms.

No critters around that we don't usually see. Beach4, would that have been a walking catfish you saw in your yard? Don't think I've ever seen one up close and personal ( don't want to) . We occasional get "gifted" with a fish in the yard when a hawk flying overhead with a fish he just caught drops it- often when fighting with another bird in flight who also wants that fish.

I saw a fish one time on the side of the road on US 17. Probably dropped there by a hawk.
Never realized you were in Charlotte County. Should have requested you check on our vacation house in PG after the storm passed lol....

Old 05-26-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

beach, I got you beat.....we have a ~10-12 ft croc under our dock.....her names Croc...she's a sorta neighborhood pet
Aren't Croc's more aggressive and dangerous than Gator's?

It was weird seeing our 6' Gator walking right up our driveway and warming his belly on the pavers. When it saw me, it did a 180 & headed back across the street towards the pond behind those homes where it likely came from.

As the 8' + long Gators roam between ponds, the smaller ones vacate to avoid becoming lunch for the larger beasts. The larger Gators usually use the storm pipes connecting the ponds to travel, but the smaller ones walk across land...mostly at night This 6'er was walking around at 3:30pm.

The shrinking ponds are causing the Gators to move about more.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:04 AM

depends....Croc has been around since she was about 4-5 ft....so she's been pulled out of pools, yards, road, docks for years....she's pretty much acclimated to being man handled....I wouldn't trust her though...she still has a brain the size of a walnut

I think there's a very fine line between which one is the more aggressive....they can both be just as snappy

Have you ever seen how fast they can move through water?....it's unbelievable....like a jet ski wide open

Old 05-26-2023, 12:23 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Never realized you were in Charlotte County. Should have requested you check on our vacation house in PG after the storm passed lol....
Is it in downtown PG, PGI, or somewhere else with a PG address?

Old 05-26-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Our neighbors across the pond saw a full grown Osprey drop the fish onto the edge of our roof/gutter because the fish was too heavy for it to carry away. I heard it make a loud THUNK when it hit our roof.

I'm seeing a lot of those soft shell Turtle's walking around the ponds now too....& lots of Gator activity moving from pond to pond.

I'm guessing its the drought causing all of this activity...its really dry here, and the ponds are low.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm seeing a lot of those soft shell Turtle's walking around the ponds now too....& lots of Gator activity moving from pond to pond.
it's mating season....they are looking for a date....or a place to nest....or getting out of the way

Old 05-26-2023, 04:50 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

You always get more rainfall than my area. You will get 70"+ while i get under 20".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida