Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 08:14 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times

Advertisements

Send them packing. When it comes to Constuction illegals do shoddy work. Don't even get me started on what goes on in my area and poor quality the big box builders hire "illegals."

FDLE, ICE, etc. should do random checks on job sites as well. DeSantis delivers yet again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
The irony is that ... [censored]... but then [redacted]... of course.

No law can impair the right of people (unnumbered non-citizen nationals) to live and work in the USA.
Bet that the statute, as written, is riddled with trap-doors and exceptions so as not to violate endowed rights of the people. But it will be implied that it is mandatory. . . just like participation in FICA. (FICA is 100% voluntary - yet everyone is misled to assume you can't live and work in the USA without "your number". Do not believe me - write a polite letter to the SocSec admin, and get their form letter reply.)

Old 05-11-2023, 08:10 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fabulous idea about cracking down on illegal aliens until the coming year or so when landscaping companies, construction companies, hotels and restaurants aren't able to suitably staff given it's already difficult. FL can't have it both ways with growth/development and limiting who can work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
As far as this goes, I don't think it will be effective in any way at all, as people who hire illegals for those trades here already pay them under the table. That's not going to change.
Major companies are not paying workers like dishwashers and housekeepers under the table. Mom and Pops can get away it with perhaps, but they're a fraction in terms of numbers employed.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:46 AM

17,149 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Major companies are not paying workers like dishwashers and housekeepers under the table. Mom and Pops can get away it with perhaps, but they're a fraction in terms of numbers employed.
Are the housekeepers at major hotels illegals? It never occurred to me that they were.
If so, how are they getting hired, if not under the table? Don't they have to fill out I-9 forms like everyone else? How do you fill out an I-9 form if you're illegal?

Old 05-11-2023, 09:29 AM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
I agree... But again, I was under the impression E-Verify was already "required." If one was hiring illegals to tend to nursery farms under the table before, this certainly won't stop them. Nothing is changing, really.
Won't happen. The people currently employing illegals to do the dirty jobs will continue to employ them.

One thing I would love to see change, is perhaps put well-behaved prisoners to use and have them perform these types of "day-labor" jobs. Yes, I know that there are ditch diggers and roadside trash collectors, but much more could be done.

Anyway... Illegal work is not going away, if ever. It exists everywhere. We have to embrace it to a degree. I just bought a bag of oranges. I am well-aware that an American Army vet who served in the Iraq War did not pick them for me.
I am, however, in favor of the professional licensing verification through E-Verify.

I agree with Beach43ofus: Implement a WORKABLE legal immigration system. I went through the current system, and it was a total nightmare that almost separated me from my kids. And no, I was never here illegally. And neither did I come from a third world country, or some war-torn place. The system is just... bizarre.
I thought it was required too, here's what I found:

Quote:
Currently, use of the E-Verify system is mandatory in Florida for public employers and for private employers contracting with state and local governments or receiving state incentive dollars. The new law expands that requirement to private employers with at least 25 employees. https://www.fisherphillips.com/news-...takeaways.html
My guess is that private employers will suddenly have 24 employees rather than 25...

Old 05-12-2023, 07:56 AM

451 posts, read 456,230 times
E verify has been around since 1997 and it's free. Being as it shields employers from legal action, I would think any company of size that employs aliens is already using it. Much ado about nothing...

Old 05-12-2023, 10:31 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
This bill will eventually be used against us.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:47 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Are the housekeepers at major hotels illegals? It never occurred to me that they were.
If so, how are they getting hired, if not under the table? Don't they have to fill out I-9 forms like everyone else? How do you fill out an I-9 form if you're illegal?
Varying programs like DACA allow for immigrants to apply for/wait for temporary visas while working. With E-Verify that has been taken off the table and has to be instantaneous.

Waiting with popcorn in hand as the number of immigrants exiting FL multiples and when those so for this wonder why produce prices skyrocket amid shortages, hotels and restaurants struggle to operate and construction projects stall out. Then all kinds of great jobs will open up for those who feel left out.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:23 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
it's not this big hysterical sky falling mess the liberals are trying to make of it....

Hotels were busted in the Keys...almost 2 years ago....... for hiring contractors....that provided cleaners....at the time of course the news exaggerated

...not one hotel closed...every one of them were able to replace the illegals with legals....and back up and running

KEYS HOTELS LOSE STAFF TO LABOR INVESTIGATION

”recent federal investigation and indictment of contractors who hire foreign workers and get them jobs in American hotels and restaurants has led to crippling shortages at Florida Keys hotels and restaurants that rely on these workers.”

”A press release from the U.S. Department of Justice last week announced the federal indictment of “three men who operated labor-staffing companies in Florida with conspiracy to harbor non-resident aliens and induce them to remain in the country and with conspiracy to commit money laundering.”

”In other words, these labor-staffing companies are accused, but not yet convicted, of hiring illegal aliens who are not allowed to work in the United States, and getting them jobs in hotels and restaurants.”

https://keysweekly.com/42/help-neede...investigation/

Old 05-18-2023, 02:07 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
Quote:
I agree... But again, I was under the impression E-Verify was already "required." If one was hiring illegals to tend to nursery farms under the table before, this certainly won't stop them. Nothing is changing, really.

Won't happen. The people currently employing illegals to do the dirty jobs will continue to employ them.

One thing I would love to see change, is perhaps put well-behaved prisoners to use and have them perform these types of "day-labor" jobs. Yes, I know that there are ditch diggers and roadside trash collectors, but much more could be done.

Anyway... Illegal work is not going away, if ever. It exists everywhere. We have to embrace it to a degree. I just bought a bag of oranges. I am well-aware that an American Army vet who served in the Iraq War did not pick them for me.
I am, however, in favor of the professional licensing verification through E-Verify.

I agree with Beach43ofus: Implement a WORKABLE legal immigration system. I went through the current system, and it was a total nightmare that almost separated me from my kids. And no, I was never here illegally. And neither did I come from a third world country, or some war-torn place. The system is just... bizarre.
I had to go through the immigration process when I moved out of the country - I was also told I couldn't renew my visa after my two years was up. Not because I did anything wrong but because unemployment was up over there and they didn't want me competing with one of their people for a job. So I had to leave.

But yes, the system here is pretty stupid. Every state should send a long-term and short-term skill shortage list to the Federal government every year. Every year the Feds publish the list - 1,000 one year visas to go pick oranges in Florida and 700 to pick grapes in California. 800 landscaper jobs in Ohio. 1,200 nursing positions in New York, 400 hairdresser jobs in Texas. etc, etc. The more skills required the more documentation you need to prove you're trained in that field + knowledge of English as required, etc. No one should be getting work visas here who can't ask for directions in English.

Also, you get a visa and you can only work in that state for however long the visa is good for. If you're here for two years, no problems, you can apply to transition to a longer term visa. This isn't rocket science. All we need to do is copy/paste what Canada, Australia, and New Zealand already do.

But then we also have to crack down on employers who employ people who shouldn't be here. We have a housing crisis, we're running out of water in a lot of places, our infrastructure is stressed beyond belief, our wages are losing ground to inflation - If you work for a living there's absolutely nothing wrong with a labor shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida