Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,552,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
De-contaminate from what? Just toss them in the wash when they are dirty (at least once per day if not more often for heavy use), and have enough extras.

I never bleach anything
. Totally unnecessary in my opinion unless you are working in a hospital or have a compromised immune system. Soap and hot water does just fine.
Meh. I do one load of whites a week. It gets hot water and bleach. Kitchen towels go in that load.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,196,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Meh. I do one load of whites a week. It gets hot water and bleach. Kitchen towels go in that load.
Ditto.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM

32,152 posts, read 27,385,810 times
Chlorine bleach is corrosive and destructive to textiles especially cotton and linen.

Just do what housewives and everyone else did for ages before paper towels arrived and cloth was all they had; wash the things in hot water then either line dry and iron, or toss in tumble dryer.

Either way the action of laundering greatly sanitizes and the heat from an iron or tumble drying further reduces the germ count.

Another few things; today not all chlorine bleaches kill germs. If the label does not carry an EPA registration number (legally required for all certified disinfectants sold in the USA), then the germ killing properties are highly suspect. If you read labels carefully of many chlorine bleach products including those sold by Clorox you no longer see the words "disinfect" or "kills germs".

That being said chlorine bleach that is at disinfectant strength works rather quickly. After about five minutes (less in hot water) all that is going to be done is done. Prolonged contact does nothing more than possibly damage textiles. Furthermore as anyone who has studied bacteriology or microbiology can attest disinfecting solutions have finite properties. You cannot simply continue adding contaminated items without knowing the strength of solution and thus its power to continue killing germs. At some point the solution will weaken and the bad guys take over.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,624,867 times
I've always used bleach on ALL towels. My new washer has a sanitize setting, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else use it instead of bleach?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 304,250 times
I'll do sponges ---- maybe !!

Thanks for the input to all.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,272,179 times
OP, just wash your towels in hot water with detergent regularly. Is this about water conservation btw?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM

32,152 posts, read 27,385,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've always used bleach on ALL towels. My new washer has a sanitize setting, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else use it instead of bleach?
Sanitize is rather a broad term. In healthcare it merely means the reduction of pathogens to a level where they likely aren't to cause harm. Thus swishing your laundry in a bucket of water will "sanitize". Adding chemicals and or heat can kick things up a notch.

Here is the thing; outside of a few limited pathogens and even then only under certain circumstances (smallpox comes to mind) have there ever been reported cases of illness from coming into contact with contaminated textiles. If someone is already ill, has a compromised immunity system and or the very young or old may be slightly more susceptible but still, it takes a whole lot of certain conditions and actions before you can become ill from textiles.

If germs were visible to the human eye and thus could see what is living/growing on every single surface you come into daily contact, you'd never feel safe in your own skin again. I know this because as part of a microbiology course we had to swab and culture various objects including our "clean" clothing. Suffice to say when the cultures came back Lady MacBeth had nothing on me! *LOL*

Old 05-25-2016, 08:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,624,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Actually its the dryer that has the sanitize setting, so I guess it's just hotter air. Might be useful if someone is ill, but not normally needed.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,958,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
...outside of a few limited pathogens and even then only under certain circumstances (smallpox comes to mind) have there ever been reported cases of illness from coming into contact with contaminated textiles...it takes a whole lot of certain conditions and actions before you can become ill from textiles...
Not true. The food service industry and Salmonellosis from Salmonella enterica contamination comes to mind. A contaminated kitchen cloth can contaminate food preparation surfaces, utensils, dishes, etc.

Then there's contamination of sheets and towels by Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). The contaminated sheets and towels then spread the bacteria to others handling the textiles.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-25-2016 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 11:02 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,435,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink