Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 AM

746 posts, read 886,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I have numerous cloth dishtowels but only two hang in the kitchen at any one time. One for drying hands, one for drying dishes. So they don't need to be disinfected. Ever since I watched a segment on one of the popular news shows where they used a special light to highlight spread germs in kitchens I don't even wipe down counters with them. For that it's paper towels always, and also for messy things like cutting up chicken, etc.
I think I saw the same show--when the lady cut up a chicken and then washed her hands and then they put the light on them and her nails were still contaminated....I've used gloves ever since (and pretty much all the time since becoming a Chef)

Last edited by MGS4EVER; 05-26-2016 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: highlight change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,943,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, what part of "outside of a few limited ...." are you not understanding?...
I'm not going to mention my areas of expertise. However, I will suggest anyone reading your posts do a bit of research on their own. I could provide an in-depth treatise on the MANY (not "a few limited") dangers of contaminated "textiles," but this is the Food forum.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,927,890 times
My kitchen towels are only used to dry my hands - I let my dishes air dry, use a sponge to wash them, and use paper towels and Fantastik to wipe up counters (or antibacterial wipes but those are more spendy). I have a few different towels but only wash them every other week or so (if I remember to throw them into my laundry bag!)

Old 05-26-2016, 02:16 PM

42,047 posts, read 75,496,869 times
Is there some reason why these kitchen towels can't just get thrown in the washer?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
I'll do sponges ---- maybe !!

Thanks for the input to all.
OP, are you talking about dish cloths that you use for scrubbing dishes rather than "towels"?

Dish cloth
Bali Dish Cloths (Set of 10) - BedBathandBeyond.com

Kitchen towel
Kitchensmart® Solid Kitchen Towel - BedBathandBeyond.com

If you do mean dish cloths, I've never heard of putting them in the microwave the way you can do with a sponge. But when you do nuke a sponge, I think it's for 60 seconds, not 10. I put my sponges in the dishwasher - they get equally clean and that's easier for me since I'm already running the dishwasher any.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
...I put my sponges in the dishwasher - they get equally clean and that's easier for me since I'm already running the dishwasher any.
Yep, same here.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,537,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep, same here.
Yep, here too. Until they get demoted to the bathroom.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:01 PM

32,088 posts, read 27,318,997 times
Quote:
I'm not going to mention my areas of expertise. However, I will suggest anyone reading your posts do a bit of research on their own. I could provide an in-depth treatise on the MANY (not "a few limited") dangers of contaminated "textiles," but this is the Food forum.

From the shower curtains to hotel bedspreads all manner and sorts of textiles are "contaminated", and what of it? By the way you and others are going on we should be seeing illness rates and or deaths that put one in mind of an epidemic; but we don't.

Even if a textile were grossly contaminated it would still take other contributing factors before someone became ill.

Intact healthy skin on an otherwise healthy human is designed and is the best defense against infection. Merely coming into contact with "contaminated" textiles will likely not cause illness. Touching one's eyes, putting one's fingers/hands in any body orifice and or if the skin is abraded, cut or otherwise open is another matter.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
From the shower curtains to hotel bedspreads all manner and sorts of textiles are "contaminated", and what of it? By the way you and others are going on we should be seeing illness rates and or deaths that put one in mind of an epidemic; but we don't.

Even if a textile were grossly contaminated it would still take other contributing factors before someone became ill.

Intact healthy skin on an otherwise healthy human is designed and is the best defense against infection. Merely coming into contact with "contaminated" textiles will likely not cause illness. Touching one's eyes, putting one's fingers/hands in any body orifice and or if the skin is abraded, cut or otherwise open is another matter.
My "bicker alarm" just sounded. Be on your way.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 PM

14,419 posts, read 11,871,152 times
Quote:
My "bicker alarm" just sounded. Be on your way.
Hey, it's not necessary to brush this poster off. I think s/he is right.

Like many other posters, I don't use cloth towels or dishcloths to wipe up raw meat juices. Paper towels for that. Otherwise, I can't think of a single "contaminant" that is likely to be on my household towels, sheets, etc., that would a) make someone sick, and b) not be removed by normal washing in a washer & dryer (with detergent and hot water, sans bleach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink