Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescapee View Post
Hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking can easily be found right here in Florida, especially in the Florida Keys. Bicycling is widespread here in Southwest Florida, there's lots of bicycle friendly routes as long as you stay either on the sidewalk or on the shoulder (and don't be acting like it's an FBI/Homeland Security enforced capital felony to ride on the sidewalk in the United States, like doing so is 100 years to life and/or the death penalty!).

There is also water skiing in Southwest Florida. Snow skiing like in Colorado can be very dangerous, especially with lethal obstacles like cliffs, boulders, avalanches, and trees that can kill a skier or at minimum will leave him/her paralyzed and crippled.

Also, in Colorado, the warmest areas only have maybe 1 or 2 months a year for a bicycling season. It is foolish and suicidal to ride a bicycle when it is 40 or colder. No matter how well you layer, your own sweat will saturate those layers and cause them to lose all of their insulating capabilities, resulting in hypothermia. No fabric can or will ever be capable of retaining an ounce of insulation when wet. Not wool, not cotton, not polyester, not fleece, not silk, not nylon, not anything.

For most people, camping is seen as a "summer tradition." Summers in Florida are HORRIBLE for camping. Colorado as well as the Upper Midwest, Pacific Northwest and New England have way better camping weather in the summer. Yea, I guess you can "camp in the Florida winter" but who wants to do that? Its like carving pumpkins in the spring. Just wrong.

I can't sleep in temperatures above 70. Florida nights stay above 70 generally between April and October. Its horribly muggy and hot. I lived in Florida for 18 years. Would have been 20 years had I been born there instead of moved at age 2. The weather is extremely overrated. Even if you like "mild weather" the humidity is like being strangled by a newt. Eww. I slept in a tent in my aunt's backyard when I was a kid. Closest I ever been to camping. Honestly, with all the nasty bugs and reptiles, I dunno how I did it lol.

Now granted I rode bikes plenty of time as a teenager down there. But its a lot more comfortable when parts of your body aren't sticking to your legs.

"Oh, but it gets so cold in Colorado!" Jackets exist, grandma. And I've seen people ride bikes in Minneapolis with windchills around -15. Somehow, they survived.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:47 PM

459 posts, read 474,825 times
You sure they aren't just all rental cars there for the tourists season and not actually people from Florida? I see a lot of rental cars way up north here especially during the warmer months with Florida license plates and when the weather gets cold those cars disappear to where ever they are needed I guess.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,775 times
In fall our license plates change colours

Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
In the more than 3 years of living here, I have noticed that not only is everyone moving to the mountains, but Colorado is the most popular destination for Southwest Floridians to relocate to. So I need to ask, what is so attractive about Colorado for Southwest Florida residents? There is no ocean, no beaches, no parasailing, etc in Colorado, all there is to do is work and look at mountains, watch the snow come down in August, and sit in front of a fireplace.
It's interesting you mention something active like parasailing but then omit the many options Colorado offers. There you have skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, rock climbing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, cycling, hunting, fishing and camping in an outdoorsman's paradise with spectacular mountains, lakes, rivers and rock formations. In Florida it's one dimensional given it's flat with nearly zero variables geographically with the beach/ocean and maybe some other water like a lake to explore. Unlike Colorado where one adds clothing to go out in winter and enjoy activity we don't have the option to remove much else unless going out naked to endure the weather of our six to eight month summer, unless at the beach or a pool. Colorado offers a much more active lifestyle so those prone to couch potato life in FL likely aren't interested anyway...

Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Don't forget they just had snow on the 1st day of Summer this year

Keep it.......

Old 06-26-2019, 05:41 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Don't forget they just had snow on the 1st day of Summer this year

Keep it.......
And FL is on track for it's hottest summer ever, which end somewhere around October.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And FL is on track for it's hottest summer ever, which end somewhere around October.
Beats snow and thin air

Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM

81 posts, read 186,455 times
Quote:
In the more than 3 years of living here, I have noticed that not only is everyone moving to the mountains, but Colorado is the most popular destination for Southwest Floridians to relocate to. So I need to ask, what is so attractive about Colorado for Southwest Florida residents? There is no ocean, no beaches, no parasailing, etc in Colorado, all there is to do is work and look at mountains, watch the snow come down in August, and sit in front of a fireplace.
I lived in Florida for 25 years and have been in Colorado 9 years. I miss Florida. Mountains are pretty, but I find them to be melancholy. I actually feel sun and beach and water is the happiest feeling on earth. I know Florida's summers are brutal and I guess they are getting worse and hotter each year, but I really miss Florida lifestyle.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM

38 posts, read 33,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
I lived in Florida for 25 years and have been in Colorado 9 years. I miss Florida. Mountains are pretty, but I find them to be melancholy. I actually feel sun and beach and water is the happiest feeling on earth. I know Florida's summers are brutal and I guess they are getting worse and hotter each year, but I really miss Florida lifestyle.
Funny, I spent two years in Colorado for work and remember feeling the same way that you did. I live in Florida now and just yesterday was going for a walk, yes in the brutal hot and humid weather. However, as I was dealing with the heat, I thought to myself, I would rather take the heat and humidity in the summer over the brutal cold winters anyday.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:28 PM

390 posts, read 634,776 times
You would think they'd find a way to keep Explorerman01 off of these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area