Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the same home since 1996 and have occasionally experienced trouble with noisy neighbors, but now I've got barking dogs on both sides of me. I can't take it any more, since I'm a very light sleeper. Yes, I've tried "white noise" but nothing helps, even sleeping pills. I finally got to sleep at 4 in the morning and at 7:30 I awoke to the dogs.

A few months ago, another neighbor called Lee County because their 4 dogs - 2 pit bull puppies, a chow and a chihuahua -were running loose. Now they are restrained and carry on all the time. I feel badly for the dogs, since they are outside all the time & covered with fleas. When they were a few months old, the puppies roamed into my yard, and I tried spraying them gently with a hose, since it was obvious they were being tormented by the fleas. (they'd squeal and bite)

Honestly, I am not one to complain, but I am getting sick and don't know what to do. The Lee County Sheriff's Office keeps saying it's an Animal Control issue and Lee County Animal Control says it's a nuisance problem. I don't think they really care since it's become such a common problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by justNancy; 01-31-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: fix grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Honestly, I am not one to complain, but I am getting sick and don't know what to do. The Lee County Sheriff's Office keeps saying it's an Animal Control issue and Lee County Animal Control says it's a nuisance problem. I don't think they really care since it's become such a common problem.

Any suggestions?

Talk to neighbors, talk to LCSO/animal control, tell them this is a serious problem, affecting your health. If they continue to pass the buck to each other, then it's time to talk to an attorney about "other remedies".

Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Talk to neighbors, talk to LCSO/animal control, tell them this is a serious problem, affecting your health. If they continue to pass the buck to each other, then it's time to talk to an attorney about "other remedies".
I just walked over to comfort the dogs. They are very friendly and just want to be petted. It is a cold night and one of the dogs (for some reason I don't quite understand) is chained several yards across from the other. Does anyone know why the owners would do that? There is a crate with blankets for one puppy, but the other is sitting on the cold ground with no water or food. They also felt skinny to me. My other neighbor told me they "should shoot me for trespassing." I took a walk and spoke to other people on the street who told me "there's really nothing you can do." I hope they're wrong! Seriously, this is very upsetting.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,755 times
You can call Animal Control and tell them you feel that there is animal cruelty going on next door to you. You don't have to give your name, just their address. Tell them there are dogs/puppies outside with no shelter, food or water and they are covered in fleas. It's a neglect case, and they will come take a look. They could be chained apart b/c they fight. I would seriously call. I can NOT STAND people who get pit bulls and treat them like that. That is the problem. This poor breed is mistreated constantly, and all that happens is the breed gets the wrap, and the craphole people go start breeding another litter. Putrid.
I would not talk to the neighbors. Just call animal control and put in a complaint. They are REQUIRED to follow up on ALL animal neglect and cruelty complaints. They go unannounced.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 PM

P.S. Don't mention the barking. Those poor dogs are only barking b/c they are alone, cold, scared and hungry. That is the ONLY way dogs can communicate. Just call them and talk about the chained outside, lack of shelter, appropriate food and water. Also, the terrible flea issue. When you bring up the barking animal control is going to assume you are annoyed, and maybe making the other stuff up to make the dogs quiet. If you get the dogs help, then perhaps they'll stop barking too!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
I don't understand why people get animals and leave them outside all day and night.

As far as the barking dog, I would think it would be for the police to tell them to quiet the dog as it is a nuisance problem.

My dog barks at times also and I try to get him to stop. He barks when he is outside and see kids on the street because he wants to play. That gets on my nerves so I don't let him go out as much on the weekend or when the kids are out playing. I don't think I could take a dog barking all day or night.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
When we lived in town our neighbor had a dog, an ancient Springer Spaniel. His kennel was on the corner of HIS lot, against the corner of MY lot where our bedroom was. He'd bark, but not constantly so you could get used to it. he'd bark, we'd wake up. He'd stop, we'd go back to sleep, he'd bark. Once. We'd lay there in the dark and wait for him to bark again. Nuttin'. Fall asleep. BARK. I wanted to kill him. Oh, and once he took a dump right in my front yard. I picked it up with a shovel and put it on his front step. Honest to God I did.
My Uncle had a neighbor whose dog would bark all the time. He called him up in the middle of the night and barked in the phone. I swear it's true.
Oh, our neighbor finally moved. the people that bought his house had THREE dogs. AND he let them run loose. I'd be out on my deck and they'd come over in MY yard and bark at me while I was on my own deck.
HATED THEM!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I just walked over there and they're still not home. LewLew, it will be hard to prove animal cruelty, but I'll do my best. I shouldn't admit this, but once I stole a dog out of someone's yard because it was so poorly treated. These dogs are treated a lot better than that one was, since he had a wire around his neck that was cutting into it. Animal Control did come by, but they only imposed a fine. Twice the dog was close to death because he was left to bake in the Florida heat without shelter or water. Eventually he started digging holes. As he got older, he learned to escape by tugging on the wire and would always end up at my house. This was during the summer and I'd often let him stay on my lanai during a storm if I wasn't at work. Otherwise, they just let him stay out in the rain. Sometimes they'd just lock him in a cage and leave it outside so the dog would have to sit in his own feces for days. Once I brought him a bowl of cool water and he was listless. I thought he was dead, but he was still breathing, so I poured cool water on him, and he recovered. I made arrangements with a couple of other animal lovers to get him out of that bad situation, although I probably broke the law. So this isn't anything new to me, but I'm much older and don't have the energy to fight any more.

What's ironic is that I'm getting complaints for putting food out for the abandoned cats that live in my backyard, because they leave paw prints on the cars. So I guess that's a lot worse than tying up your dogs and leaving them all day & night to live in dirt. I'll call the Lee County Animal Control tomorrow.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I just walked over there and they're still not home. LewLew, it will be hard to prove animal cruelty, but I'll do my best. I shouldn't admit this, but once I stole a dog out of someone's yard because it was so poorly treated. These dogs are treated a lot better than that one was, since he had a wire around his neck that was cutting into it. Animal Control did come by, but they only imposed a fine. Twice the dog was close to death because he was left to bake in the Florida heat without shelter or water. Eventually he started digging holes. As he got older, he learned to escape by tugging on the wire and would always end up at my house. This was during the summer and I'd often let him stay on my lanai during a storm if I wasn't at work. Otherwise, they just let him stay out in the rain. Sometimes they'd just lock him in a cage and leave it outside so the dog would have to sit in his own feces for days. Once I brought him a bowl of cool water and he was listless. I thought he was dead, but he was still breathing, so I poured cool water on him, and he recovered. I made arrangements with a couple of other animal lovers to get him out of that bad situation, although I probably broke the law. So this isn't anything new to me, but I'm much older and don't have the energy to fight any more.

What's ironic is that I'm getting complaints for putting food out for the abandoned cats that live in my backyard, because they leave paw prints on the cars. So I guess that's a lot worse than tying up your dogs and leaving them all day & night to live in dirt. I'll call the Lee County Animal Control tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I don't like Animal Control any more than you do. I think they are lazy, don't really impose appropriate punishment, and are always closed when you need them most. I guess it has to be the first step. I wouldn't necessarily use the word cruelty...use neglect. Say how they have been gone for days, the dogs are outside, no proper food or water.
I've helped dogs before, so I know where you are coming from. Truly, it's awful no matter what. The cat thing is ironic...they'd rather have a clean car than a healthy pet. Some people blow me away. I don't even have explatives to say how much I dislike them. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Well, to follow up on this situation - I called Animal Control and was told that they'll send someone to investigate. She didn't tell me if other complaints have been filed, but said that my call does warrant a call to check out the situation. I fear that nothing much will be done because, when I mentioned that they bark a lot, she said, "If you want to file a complaint, then we need your name & address." I guess they actually have to say that Nancy, your neighbor, is complaining about the constant barking. She said "You sound sincerely passionate about these animals, so we'll check it out to make sure there are no violations," but they really don't have any laws about taking care of dogs, even if they're miserable. They will only assess the living conditions and their physical appearance. One time an officer on Animal Precinct said she wished there was a law "All dogs must live in homes," but there isn't one. That was in New York when it was snowy with temperatures in the 20s, but as long as the dog had some shelter from the wind, the owner was allowed to keep him outside all the time. One of the dogs is crying so much, it's pitiful. She also told me the reason the dogs are chained across the yard from each other is probably because they get tangled, which is a common problem. IMHO I believe the barking would stop if the dogs were together, although I've been told I'm wrong. When the puppies were running around loose, I rarely heard them cry. In any case, I doubt if my problem will be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area