Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times

Advertisements

Pretty easy to think about why you would want to be rich.

I think first and foremost would just be financial security. If you chose to keep working in the back of your head you knwo that even if you lost your job you'd be okay as opposed to not being rich where you could get into financial trouble that would take years to get out of.

You also know if you have any health problems you have money to take off of work and focus on getting your heatlh back adn also paying for medical bills.

You could also help out friends, family, charities, etc.

Final reason would be to be able to do what you want to do be it travel, spend time with family, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the great discovery of the 1st time millionaire--
when you have slain the dragon-
the village does not- in fact- turn out to cheer
the beautiful princess does not -in fact- fall in love with you

Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
In my opinion the best reason to be rich is independence. You are independent of any employer, of other people - even of states, as you are welcome in any country of the world in case you have enough money. If you don't like the U.S. any more you may move to Canada, to Switzerland, or to Monaco. And you can decide how to spend your time independently, when to travel, when to be together with your familiy, and when to work (if necessary).

I personally don't give much on any status symbols. As I am a half engineer, I am interested in any kinds of technical devices, cars, electronics, but it need not be the largest flatscreen or the newest Ferrari. I do not want to be better than other guys, I even don't care about the cars of my neighbor.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Yes, first you need to determine what "rich" is. Being rich is one dream you can always have. When you are too old to make the football team, didn't land that great job, nor did your band get any hits, there is always the chance you will hit the Lotto. Enough that you are not worried about the next layoff? Living in the greatest neighborhood? And time is important. Even if you can afford to go anywhere you want, what good is that if you can't get away? Also, there are some drawbacks: Who wants more people asking you for money?

Last edited by pvande55; 09-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Add sentence

Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I would like to have enough money to stop working and start doing what I would consider a pleasure. Like traveling - everywhere I want, and stay so long I want. No fancy hotels, or luxury yachts, or tours. I would like to take off, and just go... without planning, or organizing; no groups, no guides. When I see a hardship, I would like to be able to help - nothing spectacular or worth the news, but good enough to make a difference in someones life. I would give up my house, car, and all those comfortable things we tend to have around us. I would pack a backpack with a few necessities - other small things I would need in my journey I would buy as I need it, but nothing more than I can carry with me. That kind of life was always my dream.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Only for my family- other than that, doesn't really matter.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i have been in extreme poverty (overseas) and currently by american standards--- affluence.
money is better. with money you got options, with poverty you have no options. george orwell says in "down and out in london and paris" ---- "poverty is boring".

Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
I have noticed that the more we make/save, the less we spend on junk so it is not just about having stuff.

I would like to be rich so that I could live anywhere in the US that I wanted. This is one kind of freedom. The other is to experiment in ways to make more money which includes opening businesses and employing other people. I remember being fascinated when we printed out a list of employees in one corporation. The president was a poor guy from Texas who now employed 200 people all over the US.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
A lot of the answer depends on what you think of as rich.
To me it would mean there was enough money to truely be excess....never needed to support whatever your version of a comfortable/acceptable lifestyle is.
That would mean never needing to be very concerned with the economy ups and downs because you might have less excess but it would still free you from being concerned that you would not have enough for your way of life.
For some this would mean a lot of money.....for others, not too much
I think we're pretty content not being rich but being 'rich' would be nice when little things(relatively) come up like a long distance anniversary we're invited to.
It would be nice to be able to have enough to know we could just hop a plane, spend a few days at a hotel....that whether or not we went would be a matter of choice, not the expense

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Freedom.
That's what money has meant to me.
It's not about acquiring things. Things tend to own YOU.
But the freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want.
To be secure against disease and disaster.
Not be tied down to a job or financial obligations.

Freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living