Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I have noticed that the more we make/save, the less we spend on junk so it is not just about having stuff.
Yes. The minute I was able to easily afford anything in the mall, the mall became a boring place. I don't shop anymore. It wasn't that interesting before and now I am not interested in 'stuff.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What reasons would cause you to want to be "rich"?

NOTE: Don't put down that you just want more stuff or more money to buy more stuff. Those are not valid reasons to want to be "rich".

That said what would motivate you to desire to be "rich"??
First off, "rich" is a subjective term.

I have dependants who rely upon me for food, shelter etc. so it would be nice that if my company laid me off that I would be able to find some type of employment but not have to say...sell my house and move out of state disrupting everyones lives.

So, in short...having wealth is a safety net against unforseen circumstances. If my car breaks down on the way home tonight I can pay to have it fixed instead of wondering how I'm going to get to work each day and so on and so forth.

It's MUCH MUCH easier when you have only yourself to take care of. Heck, I could live at the local shelter and get books from the library if push comes to shove but I have a duty to my kids to provide them a safe environment, education etc.

P.S. Money problems are a major source of stress for marriages and people in general...some of that is self-inflicted of course but it's basic stuff.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

P.S. Money problems are a major source of stress for marriages and people in general...some of that is self-inflicted of course but it's basic stuff.
Yes, my Dad used to say..."People are often unhappy because they are victims of their own wants and desires not they needs".

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Count me in the 'I want to travel the world' group. And while I don't need five star hotels, I'm not cut out for doign the long term backpacking version of a globetrot.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
To me, being "rich" is not having to worry about working. Being able to work because I WANT to work, not because I have to deal with mortgage payments or utility bills. Having all my expenses paid, and still having money coming in, is what would constitute "rich" to me.

So - I'd want to be rich, to do the things that I haven't been able to afford to do while my spouse and I were busy paying the bills. Sure we could go on vacation for a week or two every year, but we couldn't stay in the absolute best hotels, travel first class, couldn't eat lobster every night and have room service for breakfast every morning.

Being rich would allow me to indulge on the things I couldn't do when I was younger, but always wanted to do. I wouldn't have to worry about balancing the budget just to figure out how to afford to rent a compact car for my week in Florida. I'd be too busy sipping wine on my balcony in Venice that week to worry about it.

I can enjoy "little luxuries" now like good moisturizer, or a candybar. Being rich would give me access to the bigger luxuries. Like room service and clothing custom-tailored to fit me instead of "medium."

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
I love what Tony Robbins said once about money. To paraphrase, "Being rich doesn't solve all of your problems, but at least you can show up to your problems in a chauffeur-driven limousine."

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Simply freedom -- freedom to whatever I like with my time.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Freedom. But don't mistake owning a bunch of stuff, including properties and businesses, as being free.

The more you own, the more it owns you.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Maybe the greatest reward to having a frugal mindset, is that it doesn't take very much money to be rich. And that means you don't need to sell as much of your soul, in order to fulfill your needs and desires.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Freedom. But don't mistake owning a bunch of stuff, including properties and businesses, as being free.

The more you own, the more it owns you.
Ah, you are a wise grasshopper to know the value of "enough".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living