Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times

Advertisements

I would imagine that most of the units have gym socks, garbage, and used furniture. That is all I've ever stored at one and people I know that have used them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
My sister recently got some church pews for free. She refinished them for outdoor seating.

The owner of the storage units just wanted them moved out.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I would imagine that most of the units have gym socks, garbage, and used furniture. That is all I've ever stored at one and people I know that have used them.
Someone else made this point on the first page and I agree with it and thats what I thought.

Being that this is in the frugal section its kind of a dumb thing to do you know. Over the course of a couple years you probably pay hundreds if not thousands in storage fees just to years later either throw the stuff away or give it to good will. Why not give old patio furniture, old clothes your never going to wear again, etc away to begin with, get the tax write off and not bother with storage and the fees.

That said I was surprised by all the good stuff I got. I wouldn't have expected it but I guess people use storage units for a variety of reasons. Maybe a unit belonged to a drug dealer who went to jail and has cash, electronics, boxes of pot, who knows what good stuff you can find.

Also maybe an older person died and their family didn't know about the unit.

It would seem odd someone would let thousands of dollars in stuff be auctioned off. Even if they were having hard times why not borrow some money get your stuff and then sell off a few items to pay someonee back.

In my instances I think the family moved overseas and it would probably have cost a fortune to have everything sent so just stopped paying and let it go or forgot about it.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
It would seem odd someone would let thousands of dollars in stuff be auctioned off. Even if they were having hard times why not borrow some money get your stuff and then sell off a few items to pay someonee back.
If they are having hard times and have to resort to putting their stuff in storage they've probably already pawned what they could, sold what they could, and can't borrow money from anyone. That's probably why they got homeless.

I guess people that have to downsize or die could have storage units.

It sounds like you got a really good deal with yours, congrats!

I think there is a show on TV starting soon where people buy stuff in storage lockers sight unseen. It's going to show what they bid and what all they get. It sounds like a good show and I'm planning on watching it.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 AM

Edit to add: The show series is starting December 1st and it's called "Storage Wars".

Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Edit to add: The show series is starting December 1st and it's called "Storage Wars".
There must be another one as I was watching it earlier this week. It was pretty interesting.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There must be another one as I was watching it earlier this week. It was pretty interesting.
I'd be interested in watching it if anyone here knows what it is called.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I was kinda confused by your post, didn't really follow what you were talking about.

Are you saying the facility manager takes the good stuff otu before the auction begins?

I don't disagree that that does probably happen but I hear sometimes people show up to buy their own stuff back so what happens if tehy win it and contents are missing?
Thanks.....I thought it was just me, LOL... You made me feel better saying that........

Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Thanks for posting this because I was flipping through the channels last night and caught this one. It's called "Auction Hunters" and it's on SpikeTV, it's just like "Storage Wars". It was a pretty awesome show and looked like something I may get into since the OP had such success with it.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
My DH has bid and won several storage auctions. On one of them it was an entire video store which was in the box. Apparently, it was a video store which also made illegal copies of videos since there were about forty video players in the storage box. He sold most of the stuff and make a pretty good profit. For awhile he was giving away video players to anyone who'd take one. He's also gotten a few other storage lockers and it's most household stuff. He will sell one or two things to pay back for the auction and then either keeps or resells the rest of the stuff depending on what it is. I'm sure the storage locker folks have already gone through the lockers and taken anything really good, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living