Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyHungry View Post
They probably found it in the public notice advertisement that showed up in the newspaper. If your state is on this site you'll be able to search select newspapers' public notice ads (if not, you'll have to actually read a newspaper ).

Some ads say things like "Joe Dirt. Unit 3B. Furniture, ammunition, washer/dryer." It's dependent on the facility or perhaps the state laws.
Thansk for mentioning the public notice ads, I've done a lot of searching and never found that one before. Normally I go to auctionzip.com or freestorageauctionlists.com as well as a few local auctioneers websites but that looks like it could be a good resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,499 times
How is it possible to find money in a storage unit. Why would the renter not go there and use the money to pay the back bill? That can't be true. I went to a couple auctions and there were so many people there because of the TV shows. I thought about becoming an auctioneer. That nwhere the profit is. 10% of all sales plus a base fee? So I called a local auction school here in Florida. The owner told me he was asked to consult on the pilot episode of one of the most populat storage auction shows. He told me that the producer staged it all and put interesting items in the units for the actors to"find" which created the show each time. It is mostly bogus on TV.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezuki4x View Post
How is it possible to find money in a storage unit. Why would the renter not go there and use the money to pay the back bill? That can't be true. I went to a couple auctions and there were so many people there because of the TV shows. I thought about becoming an auctioneer. That nwhere the profit is. 10% of all sales plus a base fee? So I called a local auction school here in Florida. The owner told me he was asked to consult on the pilot episode of one of the most populat storage auction shows. He told me that the producer staged it all and put interesting items in the units for the actors to"find" which created the show each time. It is mostly bogus on TV.
When people clean out their condo units when they leave, they often toss out money -- jars of pennies and nickles, and sometimes bills, and more often than that unused gift cards! -- dumb, in my opinion, but we've found them, so people do it. And people forget what they have in these storage units.

Here's the hardest thing for me to believe about that storage shows -- I once had a hoarder tell me she had 10 storage units, at different complexes. As she cleaned them out, not one of them hadn't been invaded by rodents and a lot of the contents badly damaged.

As she was dumping the stuff into the dumpsters at her condo complex and we were having to deal with it, I can attest to the fact this stuff was chewed up badly.

Amazingly enough -- never ever any rodents in these lockers on the TV...

Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When people clean out their condo units when they leave, they often toss out money -- jars of pennies and nickles, and sometimes bills, and more often than that unused gift cards! -- dumb, in my opinion, but we've found them, so people do it. And people forget what they have in these storage units.

Here's the hardest thing for me to believe about that storage shows -- I once had a hoarder tell me she had 10 storage units, at different complexes. As she cleaned them out, not one of them hadn't been invaded by rodents and a lot of the contents badly damaged.

As she was dumping the stuff into the dumpsters at her condo complex and we were having to deal with it, I can attest to the fact this stuff was chewed up badly.

Amazingly enough -- never ever any rodents in these lockers on the TV...
My parents had rental apartments for years and years. It never ceased to amaze me what people would leave behind.

I once had a storage unit for about four years and my daughter has had one for five years now but neither of us ever had a rodent problem. Maybe we were just lucky?

I've never been to an auction like this but did, one time, go to one for a big moving company. We bought boxes without knowing what was in them and ended up with a TON of kitchen stuff. lol

Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My parents had rental apartments for years and years. It never ceased to amaze me what people would leave behind.

I once had a storage unit for about four years and my daughter has had one for five years now but neither of us ever had a rodent problem. Maybe we were just lucky?

I've never been to an auction like this but did, one time, go to one for a big moving company. We bought boxes without knowing what was in them and ended up with a TON of kitchen stuff. lol
How we got our first DVD player.... a friend lost his house (scammed out of it, sold out from under him) and he left tons of stuff. One of the things he left was an old unworking DVD player. Hubby took it, and he opened it up, blew out 47 tons of dog hair, put new batteries in the remote and it worked for several years.

I had put my foot down about DVDs -- wasn't going to do it. Hubby is a "collector" and we have tons of videos and I wasn't about to let him get a new media playe and have to buy more stuff......... and now we have tons of DVDs....

Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
How we got our first DVD player.... a friend lost his house (scammed out of it, sold out from under him) and he left tons of stuff. One of the things he left was an old unworking DVD player. Hubby took it, and he opened it up, blew out 47 tons of dog hair, put new batteries in the remote and it worked for several years.

I had put my foot down about DVDs -- wasn't going to do it. Hubby is a "collector" and we have tons of videos and I wasn't about to let him get a new media playe and have to buy more stuff......... and now we have tons of DVDs....
Well, heck, what good is a DVD player with "tons of DVDs"?? LOL I have my recorder/player and I hardly ever use it but I did buy it new. Hmmmm.....maybe I ought to check mine for cat hair!!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Our local Storage Place for there sales, now requires pre-registration a few days advance. The manager said since the TV show storage wars, the sales had become zoo's with dozens of people showing up, and most of them never bidding.

So he requires you to come in and pre-register 1x and he give a bidder number. After 1x you can just call into pre-register.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, heck, what good is a DVD player with "tons of DVDs"?? LOL I have my recorder/player and I hardly ever use it but I did buy it new. Hmmmm.....maybe I ought to check mine for cat hair!!
Oh, honey -- hubs just goes hog wild on things..... since we own a janitorial company he finds a number of things, but he trades and barters for DVDs and what he buys he never pays retail for (thank heavens....) but within 6 months of owning a DVD player, we had several hundred movies..... and now several years later, we could stock a small store.

I started watching Hoarders..... and finally something clicked in him (YAY) and he's now on a massive selling spree.... what's more amazing is he rarely seems to lose money on this stuff.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Going back a few posts about mice. I pulled out a goose blind I hadn't used for a couple years this past season and a mouse had built a nest in it. There are now baits in the unit.

I was watching one of the shows, I don't remember which one but it wasn't Storage Wars, recently and when they opened the door there was about 100 rats in the unit.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Oh, honey -- hubs just goes hog wild on things..... since we own a janitorial company he finds a number of things, but he trades and barters for DVDs and what he buys he never pays retail for (thank heavens....) but within 6 months of owning a DVD player, we had several hundred movies..... and now several years later, we could stock a small store.

I started watching Hoarders..... and finally something clicked in him (YAY) and he's now on a massive selling spree.... what's more amazing is he rarely seems to lose money on this stuff.
Your husband sounds a lot like my brother. That guy has the biggest collection of CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes I have ever seen. He's probably sitting on a small fortune. I have quite a few music CDs but I won't buy DVDs. Very few movies, etc. I really want to watch more than once.

I managed to watch Hoarders, maybe, three times. I just couldn't stomach how some people can live. Especially the ones with dead kittens under the trash, etc.. Just couldn't do it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living