Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times

Advertisements

GV apps are FREE! I have an iPod Touch and I can make and receive calls on that from GV as long as I have wifi access. I have GV running/available on all my computers (again FREE). Someone calls and leaves a VM msg and that message is transcribed and available on GV and on my email. I call that a win/win/win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
GV apps are FREE! I have an iPod Touch and I can make and receive calls on that from GV as long as I have wifi access. I have GV running/available on all my computers (again FREE). Someone calls and leaves a VM msg and that message is transcribed and available on GV and on my email. I call that a win/win/win.
Was your iPod Touch free?

The only reason anybody who has an iPod touch should even be reading the Frugal Living forums is if they have replaced every single electronic device in their lives with it. Which some people probably could, but you obviously didn't because you indicate that you have multiple computers.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I got the iPod Touch so I would have an MP3 player that also allowed me to do other things. It wasn't purchased to run GV...that was just another benefit I found after I already had it. The trick is finding cool ways to use technology you already have. I already have a laptop computer (no, not free), actually several computers as I work in technology for a living and run a network and my computers can also be a mobile VOIP devices, for free.

Frugal is using things you'd want or have anyway, in ways that further enhance your day-to-day. Being able to do more with existing equipment and for free, if possible, is what I find exciting.

Frugal doesn't mean living in a ditch or throwing a tent and using carrier pigeons or smoke signals to communicate...it means leveraging to get the most value and use out of what you do have and being creative, when possible, to meet one's needs.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There are probably a thousand sites where I can send a free text message from a computer with an internet connection, so that's nothing new. My point was that I pay nothing extra to annoy everybody around me with my texting by just not doing it.

Fine.

"My personal mobile telecommunications needs are completely fulfilled with a voice-only calling plan and whatever basic feature phone my provider offers free or at minimal charge, therefore I feel that I am living a more frugal life in this regard than those who feel they must have mobile text messaging and/or internet access even if they receive these services at very little cost."

Better?
That depends on how you define "better". In hard science, "better" would be defined by some measurable quantitative or qualitative aspect that satisfies the general population surveyed. But then if you break out into philosophy of science, "better" would have to take into consideration the population's perception and goals and demonstrate those goals are satisfied by behavior.

Now if you consider the target audience of this thread, which is individuals looking for a frugal way to text, you'll come to realize that your solution is in fact not better. And fails miserably.

Now if this thread was about how far can I stretch my pennies with complete disregard to value, then yes, it would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living