Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,381,611 times

Advertisements

We watched our satellite TV provider service go from $24/mo to $60/mo over the years, and rarely watched more than a half-dozen channels on it ... BBC, A&E, Travel, etc. Never watched sports or network news, soaps, situation comedies, HBO, movies, foreign language, shopping, or much of the other stuff.

Decided late last summer to drop the service and haven't missed it. We live in a remote area where TV reception of any sort via an antenna is difficult, if not impossible for more than a few "local" channels.
After several months of no TV service, we bought a ROKU box and have started subscribing to NetFlix, Hulu +, and a few others. After a month of our trial subscriptions, I'm about ready to drop NetFlix ... haven't watched one movie on it yet and 99.9% of what I see listed I'm not interested in watching.

With my on the road job travels, I'm not watching TV there, either. In the last three weeks, I had cable access one night and turned the TV off after an hour ... Pawn Stars was the best thing on at the time, which says a lot to me about the state of the programming available today. I can get much better news on the 'net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,232,677 times
I just joined Netflix and Hulu Plus this week. I have a credit with Dish Network but when that is up I am canceling Dish. My question is, I can I watch current shows such as Revenge when it comes back on next season? Or will I have to wait until the next day to watch the latest episode?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,842,589 times
I don't do cable or satellie. I am trying to decide on either keeping Netflix or dumping it and doing Hulu+. I won't do both. Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,160,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't do cable or satellie. I am trying to decide on either keeping Netflix or dumping it and doing Hulu+. I won't do both. Thoughts?
Switch between the 2 every 6 months or so.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,141,843 times
Basically neither runs shows that are network shows in same season. Not just one day behind but often a season or two behind as they by the rights later from networks. Netflix does have some self produced shows tho .Many use a antenna for current live shows or new and use Netflix ;Hulu for older and movies. Time Warner tho does stream thru Roku shows that are current for their customers to choice time they want to watch, them. For original content Netflix can't be beat as its only one doing it now that I know of. They also are spending huge sums on other content in deals.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,842,589 times
I know, I've had Netflix for years...I was just wondering if hulu+ was better, as I have been increasingly disappointed in Netflix's streaming offerings. Stuff I have watched and want to watch again no longer being available, etc.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM

152 posts, read 459,891 times
texdav Basically neither runs shows that are network shows in same season. Not just one day behind but often a season or two behind as they by the rights later from networks.

Actually I have Hulu plus and it does allow me to watch current season shows as early as the next day after airing. Some shows have episodes that for whatever reason aren't available for free more than a week after airing, and my Hulu plus still lets me watch those.

Personally I opted not to get Netflix only because I mainly watch a few current season shows. If I had more time I would probably subscribe to both.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM

5,727 posts, read 10,160,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I know, I've had Netflix for years...I was just wondering if hulu+ was better, as I have been increasingly disappointed in Netflix's streaming offerings. Stuff I have watched and want to watch again no longer being available, etc.
They will 'hold' your que for a year so you won't 'loose your place' if your on a hayatis....

I'm currently doing that as my only Internet is teathering at the moment.

So you've got nothing to loose by stoping for a month and seeing

Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,908,146 times
Everyone is tired of cable BILLS! -- But, then, the bundling packages including TV, Internet and Phone is convenient; Plus, the full-house DVR is great (I refuse to do commercials!). Also, we get basic cable and internet as part of our HOA fees and can't really mount external antennas on the Condo. We like HD TV over non HD ... and stream Netflix (with other available) to the TV (wife, kids and grandkids also stream it to their Iphones). Still, Cable BILLS are exorbitant and the 'fare' is nothing to write home about.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,743,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I went to the Shack today and they had stuff in the $40-50ish range. Can I get this cheaper (antenna) on Amazon or....?
There is virtually nothing anyone can say about home antennas in general, as it is so dependent on where you live. All but two stations have antennas 40 miles away for me, and based on the surrounding hills, I can't get anything. You have to talk to your neighbors or go on antennaweb.org or some other website to check your coverage.

Areo should be in 22 cities by the end of the year. You can get your local stations beamed over the internet for $80/year. A little history is required here. In 2008 a cable company wanted to create "virtual dvr's" where people could store shows on a DVR that was not located at their house. In the past any such project had been declared illegal as a masquerading of retransmitting a show without paying a retransmission fee. A DVR in the house is covered under the same laws as permitted VCR's from the last 40 years. Aereo ran with the court decision, and said that they could supply DVRs and private antennas that are one inch high, but are located somewhere with good reception. The transmission over the internet is just a glorified version of the cable that comes from your rooftop antenna. So far Aereo has won all the court cases, and is expanding nationwide.

But sometimes you find that you can adapt to delayed programs on the computer and/or live streaming to get your news and sports.

However, I am surprised that you are paying as much as you are. My local cable company (RCN.COM) provides local TV and 25 Mbs internet for $40 per month. If you use Google Voice, Skype, MagicJack, Vonage, or one of the other inexpensive VOIP services you can get phone service for just a few dollars more.

In addition they will let you buy commercial free TV (Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, Starz) for just a few dollars more without first purchasing all the ad supported cable TV stations (TBS, USA, A&E, TNT, Fox News, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living