Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times

Advertisements

Okay, it's about that time to dump cable.

I pay 40 bucks a month just for the 10 local channels and then $60 a month for the high speed internet...It's ridiculous and its time...

And did I mention HULU Plus is $7.99 a month?

So here is my dilema.

I LOVE the idea of all these HULU shows you can get but...

I actually like watching the local news every day.

That's the ONLY thing I would miss when I dump cable. It's the one thing that connects me to what's going on outside...

Otherwise, I really dig being able to watch stuff like: One Step Beyond, tons of old like : Lost in Space, lol!

So what do you suggest to watch local news? Watch it on the computer?

Does anyone here have HULU and what do you like or dislike about it?

OBTW: I am keeping the high speed internet. That is critical for my work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Few things to think about: You can put put a antenna and pick up your local chans. Depending on how far you are from them,

Map it: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Most Internet connection limit you to 200GB a month of bandwidth. If you go over watching to much hulu you will be hit with overage fees, or have to upgrade your internet connection. Hulu a 45m SD show will be around 250Mb HD run round 6GB/HR
I

Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Try your local channels' websites. Many stream their shows; I know ours do.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Try your local channels' websites. Many stream their shows; I know ours do.
Thanks! I hope this works out for me....

I did the antennae once and it only picked up 2 channels...

Old 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM

665 posts, read 628,555 times
You can buy an amplified indoor HDTV antenna and pick up your local FREE HDTV channels. Just connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to your TV and place the antenna on the stand facing near a window for best results. I get over 60 channels and have never paid for cable.

WannaliveinGreenville:
Quote:
Do you live near a lot of trees that may be blocking reception? How far do you live from the nearest TV tower?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thanks! I hope this works out for me....

With antennas, we get a winter wonderland ... must be our location in the valley.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMermaid View Post
You can buy an amplified indoor HDTV antenna and pick up your local FREE HDTV channels. Just connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to your TV and place the antenna on the stand facing near a window for best results. I get over 60 channels and have never paid for cable.

WannaliveinGreenville:

Do you live near a lot of trees that may be blocking reception? How far do you live from the nearest TV tower?
I seriously have a forest completely surrounding me...I love all the trees and privacy...but what would you recommend in this case?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM

665 posts, read 628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I seriously have a forest completely surrounding me...I love all the trees and privacy...but what would you recommend in this case?
I would start out with the indoor amplified antenna like I suggested earlier and place it near a window and scan for available channels. You can get these antennas for about $70.00 or higher depending on the range (such as up to 75 miles). These antennas do not require any drilling or structural modification to your home. If it doesn't work, then simply return it to the store for another one with a greater range than the one you are returning.

If the indoor amplified antenna with the greatest range still isn't working or for some reason you feel you need more channels than what it is receiving, then an external structural antenna will be the next move. Be advised that this will be costly, depending on the signal strength you desire, it can cost up to $1,000 maybe more. If you are a home owner then it will be easier to accomplish. You just call a qualified tech to come out and assess your property for the optimal placement of the antenna. The antenna should be placed at the rear of your home. Don't let them place it at the front of your home as it is unsightly and can tick off neighbors and possibly bring down property values.

If you are a renter (whether renting a home or an apartment), find out if it is allowed and get it in writing that you can do this to the property. Often times, an antenna can be placed using existing cable wiring to the property, especially if the unit has had a previous satellite connection.

I have lots of trees in front and in back of my home. I use an indoor amplified HDTV antenna and am quite satisfied. I watch any cable shows on the internet WITHOUT subscriptions from Hulu or Netflix or any company. I paid my one-time purchase for the antenna (about $65.00) and that's the only money I have spent. I am a happy camper. Good luck!

Last edited by BellaMermaid; 12-12-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Hi there. We also dumped satellite about a year ago. Couldn't be happier with our decision. We have a Roku which is a box that connects to your television. We gets lots of options on there, although most news is not live. But if you google it, you'll see all of the options available.

We also have an antenna for local stations. I contacted the engineer at one of the local news stations and got his advice on the best antenna to purchase. We live approximately 25-30 miles from a larger city, and with our antenna we are able to get approximately 20 channels, including all local stations. Wouldn't go back to cable or satellite.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM

187 posts, read 345,523 times
Can you share which antenna the engineer suggested? I'm thinking of dumping satellite as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living