Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

In some theatres, the restrooms are placed in such a way that people attempt to use them to gain entry past the ticket taker, so that they can steal a movie. I've had to emplace a rule where only those with tickets to the current show may use the restrooms. Also, even though banks might have restrooms for employees, good luck on being allowed to use them.

Fast food restaurants are another story. I look at it, if they want to sell me ****, they better provide a way for me to get rid of it. In all seriousness, health laws demand that if you sell food you have to have working public bathrooms. period. If you have a high-end restaurant, and want to deny access to street people you can.

There are a number of potential problems with a business which allows open access to restrooms - vandalism, theft of toilet paper (it does happen), casual sex - including but not limited to pedophiles, loss of access to customers who do pay. When management informs staff they want restrooms checked every fifteen minutes, the eyes of the staff roll, but there are important reasons for the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
i sometimes will use the restroom of a fast food place without buying anything. i dont really feel guilty about it either.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i sometimes will use the restroom of a fast food place without buying anything. i dont really feel guilty about it either.
If they're empty, I'll just get some cookies, small drink, or small fries. If they're packed, then I just do my business without buying anything (and wasting time in addition to money.)

Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
If I'm using the restroom at a fast food joint, even if I'm just passing through town, I will at least buy a soft drink. They may not know, but I will, and my conscience would bother me.

Some people don't feel guilty about a lot of things that they should. Those people are the ones that make it necessary to establish rules that are sometimes annoying for the rest of us because they imply that we don't know any better. The sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there that apparently don't.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I have traveled across this country and never seen a sign like that however, when I am traveling and stop I am generally stopping for gasoline then go inside and get snacks and drinks and use the restroom then pay for everything after I use the restroom.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If I'm using the restroom at a fast food joint, even if I'm just passing through town, I will at least buy a soft drink. They may not know, but I will, and my conscience would bother me.

Some people don't feel guilty about a lot of things that they should. Those people are the ones that make it necessary to establish rules that are sometimes annoying for the rest of us because they imply that we don't know any better. The sad thing is, there are a lot of people out there that apparently don't.
so the people who buy something they dont really need to compensate for taking a leak in a restroom are the enlightened ones?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Perhaps. I've somehow never found it to be a problem - I can always find something that I will use now or later in most businesses that have public restrooms.

Now, if I shop somewhere all the time and spend money with them frequently, I might use the facilities without buying something a particular time that I'm in there and don't find what I'm looking for, but seek out a business of any kind solely to use their restroom (short of a real bathroom emergency)? Nope, doesn't fit in my definition of good manners OR "enlightened".

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. I've somehow never found it to be a problem - I can always find something that I will use now or later in most businesses that have public restrooms.

Now, if I shop somewhere all the time and spend money with them frequently, I might use the facilities without buying something a particular time that I'm in there and don't find what I'm looking for, but seek out a business of any kind solely to use their restroom (short of a real bathroom emergency)? Nope, doesn't fit in my definition of good manners OR "enlightened".
i figure you are generally doing this because it is a bathroom emergency. i dont think you are really putting anyone out. unless you are making a big mess, in which case its bad manners even if you are buying something.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM

If you're already in the store and suddenly need to go, maybe. If you go into the store for the sole purpose of using the restroom with no intention of buying anything, it's bad manners at best anyway. The impression I got from your comment #12 is that you will go into a fast food restaurant specifically for the purpose of using their restroom and no other and that you make a habit of this, rather than it being a true "emergency". Is that inaccurate?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If you're already in the store and suddenly need to go, maybe. If you go into the store for the sole purpose of using the restroom with no intention of buying anything, it's bad manners at best anyway. The impression I got from your comment #12 is that you will go into a fast food restaurant specifically for the purpose of using their restroom and no other and that you make a habit of this, rather than it being a true "emergency". Is that inaccurate?
im not sure why someone would stop by a restaurant to use the restroom they otherwise werent visiting if it wasnt some kind of emergency. typically, its a fast food place or maybe a home depot. i dont really think im putting anyone out and sometimes it might yield a purchase but im not going to buy something i dont need to take a leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living