Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,685,864 times

Advertisements

We came across this when driving home from CA last week, paying customers only, HA! They were located along a very hot, desolate area of HWY 40. We had no choice, $3 for for 20 oz pop, they had a sign by the register asking customers not to whine over the pricing, because it was very expensive to run their dumpy establishment. I made sure we all went, that was $.50 per person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,238,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
We came across this when driving home from CA last week, paying customers only, HA! They were located along a very hot, desolate area of HWY 40. We had no choice, $3 for for 20 oz pop, they had a sign by the register asking customers not to whine over the pricing, because it was very expensive to run their dumpy establishment. I made sure we all went, that was $.50 per person.
Were they busy?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,529,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Simple. "Ethics" come in to play with regards to the things that matter in life. Stopping to take a tinkle in a random McD's bathroom off of a highway exit ramp is not one of those things.
Not really. Interesting take on ethics, though.

Your ethics is your ethics, whether the matter is large or small. In fact, it's how you act when you think nobody's looking or you won't get caught or "nobody will know" or what you decide is "not important enough to be ethical about" that really tells the tale.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM

23,666 posts, read 70,741,335 times
The ethics stuff is being over-thought. WAY over-thought. Some stuff to consider:

It was common through as late as the 1950s for larger establishments to employ a restroom attendant. Was it ethical for those jobs to be eliminated?

It was also common for travelers to personally clean the washbasin after use, and simply considered good manners. Was the change in behaviors ethical?

A person eats at one Burger King, gets back in the car and then uses the restroom at another Burger King one-hundred miles away. Is that "ethical?" In your response, remember the Sony decision that allows you to watch a tv show at a later time of your convenience.

In construction work, it is common practice for guys to find an on-site spot to pee so that they don't have to leave the site. Is it more ethical to do that or go off-site, buy a coffee, pee, and come back, at a cost to the employer?

Seriously, some folks are making a mountain out of a dunghill. The issue of sanitation in general trumps many of the little nuances being claimed. Is it more ethical to have an "accident" trying to be ethical, and because of lack of use of proper facilities spread disease and possibly kill an innocent immune compromised person? While we are at it, how many angels DO fit on the head of a pin?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
At least where i lve the law reqiores if you serve food to have a public restroom.I alos notice that most larger chain stroes always have public bathrooms;its usually small mom and pop stres that do not and often have no ublic bathroom signs.My guess is that lage chians know that having a bathroom means people are moreliely to shop there especaily women with children which is a huge market.I knw the amnager of a store and he said the cleanlyness of the bathrooms oftne makes a great difference if women will routinely shop at your store.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM

15,648 posts, read 26,351,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
While we are at it, how many angels DO fit on the head of a pin?
Just one. She's really big, and very angry.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,529,088 times
Regarding the poster above whose job it is to clean up after us (THANK YOU!), I've noticed that in large chains that have public bathrooms with no requirement for a purchase, frankly, those bathrooms tend to be trashed pretty quickly. Smaller stores that do have some sort of policy, whether it be a minimum purchase (one does wonder how they enforce that) or having to get the key to the bathroom (as used to be standard policy at every gas station in the days when you actually got your gas pumped, too) tend to have cleaner bathrooms, perhaps because they aren't trashed just as soon as they're cleaned by people who are using the business solely as their "dumping ground", to put it accurately.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The ethics stuff is being over-thought. WAY over-thought. Some stuff to consider:

It was common through as late as the 1950s for larger establishments to employ a restroom attendant. Was it ethical for those jobs to be eliminated?
As long it was eliminated with the employer in the loop, yes.
Quote:

It was also common for travelers to personally clean the washbasin after use, and simply considered good manners. Was the change in behaviors ethical?
If you make a mess, you clean up after yourself. I don't think has changed and is still true.
Quote:

A person eats at one Burger King, gets back in the car and then uses the restroom at another Burger King one-hundred miles away. Is that "ethical?" In your response, remember the Sony decision that allows you to watch a tv show at a later time of your convenience.
No. Why would you patron at one business establishment and crap at another? If the bathrooms are for customers, then they are for customers of that business. Not of all businesses.
Quote:

In construction work, it is common practice for guys to find an on-site spot to pee so that they don't have to leave the site. Is it more ethical to do that or go off-site, buy a coffee, pee, and come back, at a cost to the employer?
I would imagine that a construction worker would take permission. When I had construction workers at my home, they asked if they can use the bathroom. I let them use the powder room. I didn't see the issue since I'm not the one who cleans it anyways.
Quote:

Seriously, some folks are making a mountain out of a dunghill. The issue of sanitation in general trumps many of the little nuances being claimed. Is it more ethical to have an "accident" trying to be ethical, and because of lack of use of proper facilities spread disease and possibly kill an innocent immune compromised person? While we are at it, how many angels DO fit on the head of a pin?
I don't think anyone is saying that there is no exception for emergency situations. But emergencies like this don't come up often.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,861,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Regarding the poster above whose job it is to clean up after us (THANK YOU!), I've noticed that in large chains that have public bathrooms with no requirement for a purchase, frankly, those bathrooms tend to be trashed pretty quickly. Smaller stores that do have some sort of policy, whether it be a minimum purchase (one does wonder how they enforce that) or having to get the key to the bathroom (as used to be standard policy at every gas station in the days when you actually got your gas pumped, too) tend to have cleaner bathrooms, perhaps because they aren't trashed just as soon as they're cleaned by people who are using the business solely as their "dumping ground", to put it accurately.
i think you made this up

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM

While I do avoid public bathrooms altogether... I appreciate the establishments that have to "buzz" you into the bathrooms. They usually keep the bathrooms cleaner and less people use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living