Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Hmmmm....where did I say that? We bought a toploader, and we NEVER considered a front loader, I wouldn't have one. Ane YOu are comparing apples to oranges----we wanted an extra-large capacity, which runs about $700+ for a new one---with warranty. True, you can get a smaller machine, new, for around $300, but that's not what we were looking for.

You're the one using "bad Form", by misquoting me, and calling me out in the first place for such trivia.
I apologize for misunderstanding your previous post. You said that you bought a used washer for $125, which was better than spending $800 for a front load. I took that to mean that you were considering the front load, which you obviously weren't. Definite misunderstanding on my part, and again I apologize.

Regardless of that, you can buy a good quality extra large capacity toploader without a bunch of bells and whistles for under $400. The only way you can pay over $700 for a toploader around here is if you go with something along the lines of a Maytag Bravo which is basically a top-loading machine with the guts and features of a frontloader. I seriously doubt that you picked up one of these for $125 so you're still comparing apples to oranges.

But if you did pick up a Bravo for $125, then, Bravo! You got a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
The other day I haggled the living bejeezus out of the T-Mobile sales guy for 90 minutes until I got what I wanted - no fees, a miniscule upfront payment, a lower rate (by some $25 per month) than what I was paying with Cincinnati Bell, and I even got the T-Mobile guy to eat the contract cancellation fee from the old phone company.
Depending on how much you use your phone, you still may be getting raped. I have a minute plan with H2O Wireless, I pay $100 for phone time. (it's are good for one year) It cost me 5 cents a minute/5 cents a text message. I've been averaging $7.50 a month with my phone usage, that's 15 minutes of phone time. I kept my same number and it's using the AT&T network. No Data, but I don't use that anyway. If your a light phone user like me, you should seriously consider getting a per minute phone. The cheapest cell phone plans I've see where $40 with additional charges for text and data, that would buy you 800 minutes with the plan I'm using. At the rate I'm going, I will not even use up the $100 I purchased before the year is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We have restructured our credit card debt with 3 credit cards. They closed out the account, and set us up on monthly payments. The interest rate was brought down from ~ 18% to ~ 7%, and all back late fees were erased! Our payments have dropped to less than half of our previous payments, and are fixed for 5 years. At least now we have a chance to stop that runaway train!
I'm guessing the deal you made had some negative impact to your credit. I did something similar, I obtained a 20k loan from my credit union, at 6% interest rate for 5 years. I paid off two credit cards and almost paid off the third. All cards accounts are still open, but have zero balance (except for the one card I didn't pay off in full). I set it up so the payment required for the loan is automatically paid out of my credit union checking account, and a portion of my pay check is direct deposited into that account to cover those payments. I never see the money, so I don't have to worry about making the payment.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Depending on how much you use your phone, you still may be getting raped. I have a minute plan with H2O Wireless, I pay $100 for phone time. (it's are good for one year) It cost me 5 cents a minute/5 cents a text message. I've been averaging $7.50 a month with my phone usage, that's 15 minutes of phone time. I kept my same number and it's using the AT&T network. No Data, but I don't use that anyway. If your a light phone user like me, you should seriously consider getting a per minute phone. The cheapest cell phone plans I've see where $40 with additional charges for text and data, that would buy you 800 minutes with the plan I'm using. At the rate I'm going, I will not even use up the $100 I purchased before the year is up.

I'm guessing the deal you made had some negative impact to your credit. I did something similar, I obtained a 20k loan from my credit union, at 6% interest rate for 5 years. I paid off two credit cards and almost paid off the third. All cards accounts are still open, but have zero balance (except for the one card I didn't pay off in full). I set it up so the payment required for the loan is automatically paid out of my credit union checking account, and a portion of my pay check is direct deposited into that account to cover those payments. I never see the money, so I don't have to worry about making the payment.
Actually, our credit score went up! Regardless, just to see light at the end of the debt tunnel!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Bought cheap generic version of decongestant.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
Stayed home.

I don't spend if I don't leave, generally.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Brought my lunch to work, just like every day -.-
Me too. And breakfast.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,101 times
i ate at home. also went to the library to get some entertainment to break up the internet monotony. i do not own a tv, so no cable bill. i use a laptop for all entertainment.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Like every morning, let water run hot in the shower and catch it in a bucket. For watering my flower garden.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Like every morning, let water run hot in the shower and catch it in a bucket. For watering my flower garden.
Say what. Using hot water costs money to heat it. Joke post perhaps?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Say what. Using hot water costs money to heat it. Joke post perhaps?
I'm sure she means that she saved the water that ran UNTIL it got hot - (I do the same)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living