Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 PM

589 posts, read 390,670 times

Advertisements

Goodwill is the new Wal-Mart. Have yuo all missed the economic boom of the last 8 years, per Obama.

This is depressing. I understand the need for Goodwill they do a great job but stilll this is AMERICA, how low can we go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Living in Florida, I usually wear shorts and T-shirts. Nobody dresses up here unless your going to a special occasion. It's too hot here to wear jeans or long sleeves unless you work in a retail store and they keep it cold...

Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
We go to thrift stores mostly. Husband gets nice pants--he likes Ralph Lauren and L.L. Bean and gets them like new at the GW or SA. Sometimes he goes to the L.L. Bean outlet for pants and once in a while he gets them new on ebay.

I do mostly the same thing. Big puffy winter jacket from ebay, brand new. I also like Marshalls and TJ Maxx for casual clothing like sweaters and fleece. With those stores you just have to hit it at the right time.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 PM

32,929 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I am a small person with skinny feet. I recently found out I can wear little girl's shoes, which has drastically cut my shoe bill for work shoes (I have to dress up -- no tennis shoes, sandals, etc. -- only dress shoes).

My last pair was $5 for black flats and I've worn them a year now. A comparable pair of women's black flats set me back $50-$75 -- so you'll see me in the little girl's shoe department at Walmart from now on
The skinny feet are killer. I buy shoes when I can find a pair which fit. I will spend money on quality shoes, because I don't know when I'll find another pair. I have really long legs, too. I've been trying to buy a pair of jeans for six months!

Old 10-22-2016, 02:50 AM

749 posts, read 852,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The skinny feet are killer. I buy shoes when I can find a pair which fit. I will spend money on quality shoes, because I don't know when I'll find another pair. I have really long legs, too. I've been trying to buy a pair of jeans for six months!
So surprising, I got the wide feet, never thought folks could have feet more narrow than standard American/Asian sizes. Makes sense shoes too big/wide can cause problems us with wide feet never thought of. I'm just glad to be in a place where 'slippers' flip-flops are acceptable year 'round. My 'fat/wide' feet are finally not a pain/problem.

I spend almost nothing for shoes or clothes, no seasons really, a hoodie covers 'winter coat', again flip-flops for shoes, one pair tennis shoes for.....hiking?,,,trips to mainland?.....tee shirts, shorts, no one notices if they are 80$ each stuff, the guys at Four Seasons treat you the same if you show up in Hanes pieces at 6$ each and cheap 20-30$ dresses.

Can go to Gucci for 8,000$ purses, Tiffanys for watches, ear rings, etc. No one really cares here. Weird but blue blood like the fact we 'poorfolk' mix in naturally and it makes them not feel so separated/targeted, though their stalkers are always obvious.

To Op thread, next to nothing, spend way more on popcorn per month/year.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
One of my Jordan shoes is finally falling apart from the soles. I had them for about 10 years and I wear them about once or twice a month. So I want to replace them with a similar colored shoes. (black/silver) I spent about $90 on them, but that was cheap compared to the amount i use to spend on shoes.

In high school and college, I use to spend over $150+ on new Jordans. I use to be a sneakerhead when I was younger; however, with a mortgage, I have to cut down expenses and manage a budget. My favorite shoes that I paid $140 for are coming apart from the back heal. (It's not bad yet but will get progressively worse)

Also during my "youth", I use to spend about $30 on a t shirt and I currently have about 30+ in them in my closet. But as I get older, I realize that i'm flushing money down the drain, so I try to stay in the 10-15 range for my t shirts. (I only buy one or two a year now) In addition, I spend hundreds of dollars on baseball caps, caps that I don't even wear as much or anymore. My pants are reasonably priced BUT I use to spend $90 on a pair of jeans in high school.

My biggest sin was to spend money on jerseys. I use to buy all the "coolest nba players" from 2003-2007. (And I still have them) But now if I decide to get a jersey it would only be of my favorite teams. (sharks, 49ers, giants and sacramento kings) But since the 49ers lost of all of their good players, I decided to give away those jerseys or hang them in a frame. I still have a plethora of jerseys that I haven't worn in years.

So are you guys as guilty as I am? I feel really foolish sinking thousands in my wardrobe.

Sin? Guilty? This is just shopping. Neither of those labels apply, and as it's your money (I assume), do what you want with it.

My shopping habits are quite different; I am a bargain-hunter in search of classic looks and comfort, and I don't keep track of what we spend, but why you should seek to emulate me or vice-versa makes no sense. Enjoy what you have.

Climbing off my soapbox now.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
Goodwill is the new Wal-Mart. Have yuo all missed the economic boom of the last 8 years, per Obama.

This is depressing. I understand the need for Goodwill they do a great job but stilll this is AMERICA, how low can we go?

You may not know this, or care to, but Goodwill is NOT a non-profit business/stores. They are a multimillion $ enterprise with their CEO pulling down about $500,000 / yr.

Please buy from or donate to the Salvation Army, Homeless Veterans' Shelters, non-profit children's hospitals (St. Jude's, Shriner's) -- Humane Society for Animals; pet rescue shelters; homeless shelters, .... well, you get it.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Well Goodwill may not be non-profit, but it does employ people who are unemployable elsewhere. I have a good friend who has multiple learning disabilities and is ADD also and he has lost job after job, but Goodwill works with him and he can stay employed and earn a paycheck. I give my donations to them.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
A lot!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post

I don't consider shopping at shopgoodwill.com - Welcome "low". I like that I can wear high-end items, most come new with tags, on my pay level.

It becomes sort of sport to find these items. I get tired of them I will sell them on ebay and probably make money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living