Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times

Advertisements

One of my Jordan shoes is finally falling apart from the soles. I had them for about 10 years and I wear them about once or twice a month. So I want to replace them with a similar colored shoes. (black/silver) I spent about $90 on them, but that was cheap compared to the amount i use to spend on shoes.

In high school and college, I use to spend over $150+ on new Jordans. I use to be a sneakerhead when I was younger; however, with a mortgage, I have to cut down expenses and manage a budget. My favorite shoes that I paid $140 for are coming apart from the back heal. (It's not bad yet but will get progressively worse)

Also during my "youth", I use to spend about $30 on a t shirt and I currently have about 30+ in them in my closet. But as I get older, I realize that i'm flushing money down the drain, so I try to stay in the 10-15 range for my t shirts. (I only buy one or two a year now) In addition, I spend hundreds of dollars on baseball caps, caps that I don't even wear as much or anymore. My pants are reasonably priced BUT I use to spend $90 on a pair of jeans in high school.

My biggest sin was to spend money on jerseys. I use to buy all the "coolest nba players" from 2003-2007. (And I still have them) But now if I decide to get a jersey it would only be of my favorite teams. (sharks, 49ers, giants and sacramento kings) But since the 49ers lost of all of their good players, I decided to give away those jerseys or hang them in a frame. I still have a plethora of jerseys that I haven't worn in years.

So are you guys as guilty as I am? I feel really foolish sinking thousands in my wardrobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 02:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
$120 for my last pair of work boots. They will last about 10 yrs (outdoors every minute of daylight)
$12 for my 'newest' Frostline Kit ebay coat (Circa 1970) I still wear the one I made from a kit in Jr High 4H it is in great shape! (Helps that I am still the same size and weight as HS, BUT I cannot get back to the same W-I-D-T-H ) Were we REALLY 24" waists! something has CHANGED

$8 for a new flannel shirt
$9.99 for 'Rustler' denim jeans 4 pair will last me about 10 yrs

Last yr, did a 10+ month RTW trip with 1 carry on bag (under the seat / NOT overhead) Learned to wear the same thing A LOT! Nothing wore out, but I'm kinda sick of seeing it!

Old 10-21-2016, 02:43 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
Shirts from goodwill. Jeans from wal mart. Shoes I wear till the tread is gone.

OP you can buy a product called "shoegoo" made by 3m. I've used it to repair shoes and boots with much success. It dries to a hard rubber and is very popular with skateboarders who are hard on shoes. Comes in a variety of colors.

I try to buy the cheapest shoes I can but no so cheap I wear uses shoes. IMO once they break in to another person's foot, they never quite fit right. I try on new shoes in store and buy online if I can.

Last pair of shoes i bought was a pair of New Balance all-terain tennis shoes. I found them in the clearance isle of shoe carnival marked down as last year's model.

I learned this all from my dad. He wears shirts with holes, stained shIrts inside out, and I've never know a person to wear shoes longer than him. He'll wear them till his tow is hanging out. The man owns 10 rental properties in various locations and has a wad of cash and buys new vehicles in cash.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Years ago when I was young and single I once spent $2K in a weekend buying new winter clothes. :-(

I now live in Florida so I don't have to buy coats and winter gear plus now that I am older, wiser and only work 12 hours a week I only buy clothes that are on sale most of the time. I did buy a pair of black jeans at Chico's that were $99 but if you spent $100 you get your purchase 50% off so I threw in a cheap t-shirt. I have a hard time finding jeans that fit well on my petite figure. However I economize with my shirts & blouses and buy shoes only when they are on sale.

I'm going to check out some consignment shops this weekend for tops. One thing I won't buy used is shoes.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:35 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I spend way too much, but I do it at Goodwill. I am today wearing an Eileen Fisher white sweater that I paid $30 for. The tags were still on it - $248. I cannot imagine paying that for a sweater.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Meh.

I only buy tennis clothes and shoes with any regularity. Shoes usually $80-120. Shorts $5-20. Shirts $15-40.

Every couple of years I restock scrubs at $40 a pair. And boots are $150 every few years.

Underwear once a year.

Don't really buy much else. Maybe the occasional funny t shirt.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
We probably average less than $200 a month for both of us.
We buy quality items that last. Plus, we are hard to shop for... bargains simply do not happen when, for example, you need a 38" sleeve for shirts!

Also, we are a one-in-one-out family.
So, if we are considering buying something, we also have to consider getting rid of something we already have.
That really cuts down on impulse buying!

Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
I am a small person with skinny feet. I recently found out I can wear little girl's shoes, which has drastically cut my shoe bill for work shoes (I have to dress up -- no tennis shoes, sandals, etc. -- only dress shoes).

My last pair was $5 for black flats and I've worn them a year now. A comparable pair of women's black flats set me back $50-$75 -- so you'll see me in the little girl's shoe department at Walmart from now on

Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I spend about $100/month for a family of four, usually about $75 at Goodwill and $25 at Walmart.

Last month I spent $200 at Goodwill, but I bought three leather jackets, a pair of cowboy boots, two really nice purses and three decent purses, 4 shirts and a jacket for myself, and a bunch of clothes for my kids.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
$15 for a purse I use until it wears out. $6-10 for tops usually thrift or the best is a good sale in a cheaper store like wm or kmart. Those from a good sale are usually the best because they tend to last a bit longer. Capris and shorts, well, someone gave me a bunch and there were a few nice ones in there. Shoes I buy new but always watch for a sale. Probably my most pricey item. I have sore feet that don't do shoes well since healing from that plantar fac. thing and 3 broken toes, so if I have to pay a bit more I do to save my feet.

I ask my daughters for underwear, socks, pj's stuff like that for Christmas presents. They're not thrilled, but I tell them it's what I need. One year I asked for a sweat suit and got a nice one. I get DH's work clothes at thrift. He gets really nice dockers shorts and pants for around $6 and it doesn't really matter anyway since they get mighty dirty and stained from his work. At least he starts out stylish!

When the kids were young I would bring home nearly new jeans from a thrift store and they'd go ewwww and wouldn't wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living