Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times

Advertisements

I never heard of such a thing...thrift store shopping being limited to certain income brackets.
Whenever I move to a new area, I ALWAYS search for whatever thrift stores are local. Great bargains can be found in them.
When I did have the income to afford retail...vs....second hand....I find the retail is much more cheaper made. IMO..if something makes it as far as the thrift store...it either wore well, was lightly worn, or just donated almost new.
Thrift store shopping is a veritable Treasure Hunt!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I never heard of such a thing...thrift store shopping being limited to certain income brackets.
Whenever I move to a new area, I ALWAYS search for whatever thrift stores are local. Great bargains can be found in them.
When I did have the income to afford retail...vs....second hand....I find the retail is much more cheaper made. IMO..if something makes it as far as the thrift store...it either wore well, was lightly worn, or just donated almost new.
Thrift store shopping is a veritable Treasure Hunt!!
That's how I used to feel but from what I see now in thrift stores you find either garbage/junk or way-overpriced items... sad... I miss the "thrill of the hunt" - maybe people w/lots of money ruined it? who knows? I'm in the "barely getting by" category and honestly don't even bother much to look at thrift stores.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That's how I used to feel but from what I see now in thrift stores you find either garbage/junk or way-overpriced items... sad... I miss the "thrill of the hunt" - maybe people w/lots of money ruined it? who knows? I'm in the "barely getting by" category and honestly don't even bother much to look at thrift stores.
I find i just need to look around for other thrift stores in that case. Somebody, somewhere...has the good stuff. I still do the thrift store thing. The only clothing I buy retail is undergarments.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM

513 posts, read 499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Agreed. Especially the national chains now price things from places like Target or Old Navy that aren’t much less than buying new. Also the “designer section” ruined finding the really good deals.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Agreed. Especially the national chains now price things from places like Target or Old Navy that aren’t much less than buying new. Also the “designer section” ruined finding the really good deals.
There's a designer section in Target? Here I come!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
There's a designer section in Target? Here I come!
I think they mean the "designer section" in the thrift stores. It used to be fun to go on a treasure hunt but then they started pulling out the higher end brand clothing and putting it into a boutique section. Took all the fun out of thinking you were looking through untouched treasures and just might come upon a rare bargain.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
The confusion part is why don't lower income people shop at 2nd hand store more often. ...
GG and Sub had it right... it’s more about class / pride / and lack of optomized money management.

Some societies make great ‘used’ shopping Mecca’s, because it is not well thought of to buy anything second-hand. Often poorer people want to enjoy the pride / self value to buy NEW stuff, especially for their kids. (They want to provide better std than they had grown up with.)

Ironically.... results of bullying / teasing / embarrassment lasts a lifetime.
So sad.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:43 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have earned pretty good income at various points in my life. My wife and I both decided to focus on being frugal, it was a conscious decision and it has taken many years for us to perfect. Today we live on a really low level of income, yet we have no debt.

We know a lot of 'poor' people who bring in more income than what we have, and most of them tend to make foolish purchasing decisions. They pay far more than what they should have paid and they often end up servicing debt. They are paying interest on items that should have never been financed.

That is the price of being poor. You can be poor [in income] without paying that price. But there are learning curves that must be lived through.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
And this related to thrift store shopping how?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I don't think it's middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living